Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2011, 21:15   #121
Beacon of light

Re: Lap Dance Club

Thought that was who you meant........I bet God is glad that he(Kev) has something down here to stop him chewing God's ear.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2011, 21:16   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Quite right - Accy should be more upmarket. How about a Hooters bar?
We had one in Kingston, but it went tits up

You know, I think I just used one of George Carlin's seven words. Let's see if it makes it thro' the censors.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:16   #123
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Do you mean Kev the Rev?
Ex-Rev.

God made him redundant, due to liking the sound of his own voice, and showing off.

Thus breaking the 'No Pride' clause in his contract.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:18   #124
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I do agree with you, but perhaps the council should be making more effort to drum up more culturally acceptable custom - of course sex will always sell, but does it pay in the long run when only appealing to a particular section of the community? And also in the long run will it bring in more custom when as I said previously it is being done far better than some seedy backwater club above a restaurant in a small downmarket town in East Lancashire?
If you really hate the idea, then complain.......write/e-mail HBC and let them know of your concerns and enlist the help of other like minded folk to do the same.
Change doesn't happen unless you make it happen.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:21   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
riff·raff (rfrf)n.
1. People regarded as disreputable or worthless.
2. Rubbish; trash

Care to expand on this description?

Perhaps you could explain how we differ from the folks in your own hometown, Blackburn?
I don't see any difference from "my own hometown Blackburn", I would have exactly the same views apart from the fact that Blackburn is bigger than Accrington and so perhaps it may not have the same impact.
Also, with regard to your previous post, I'm not throwing a "hissy" - I'm genuinely not that bothered, I just think it's a shame that Accrington can't come up with anything better, given it's rich history and beautiful buildings. It could be a beautiful place. And this is the end of my responses, whether you consider it a "hissy fit" or not! It's been good discussing with you all!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:23   #126
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We had one in Kingston, but it went tits up

You know, I think I just used one of George Carlin's seven words. Let's see if it makes it thro' the censors.
Nobody ever believes this, but when I accidentally stumbled into Hooters in Nottingham on my way to see Stanley play at Notts County, I honestly thought it was an owl-themed bar.

Mrs H certainly didn't when she found the forthcoming events leaflet in my jacket pocket the day after.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:24   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Thought that was who you meant........I bet God is glad that he(Kev) has something down here to stop him chewing God's ear.
Didn't Loony Logan try to ban Harry Potter, because he was in league with the supernatural, and therefore Satan?

Jeez, no wonder he's getting all hot under the collar, and worked up about some lasses jiggling their titty bottles about for mens' pleasure.

Hang on, isn't that what already happens in most clubs up and down the land, each and every Satueday night?

Old 18-09-2011, 21:25   #128
Super Moderator

Quote:
I just think it's a shame that Accrington can't come up with anything better
Well go on then - suggest something!
Old 18-09-2011, 21:26   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's been good discussing with you all!
We can agree on that.

It will have been good for you.

Old 18-09-2011, 21:26   #130
Beacon of light

Yes Accrington has a rich history and it was once beautiful....it isn't quite so lovely now.
But no town can trade on its past........you can't look back...that isn't the way you are going.....looking back means you miss what is in front of you.

I would be truly interested in your recipe for making Accrington vibrant again.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:27   #131
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Who decides what is and what isn't "culturally acceptable"? Why shouldn't something pay if it only appeals to one section of the community? Know your market and go for it is a tried-and-tested commercial principle.

You're not in league with that Godbothering bloke, are you?
That was my first thought, then i discounted it, due to having a ball at the northern soul at blackburn mecca n going across to the merchants fer the drag act etc, which by no stretch of the imagination was culturally acceptable back then, i think annes just forgot what a good night is to some,
Old 18-09-2011, 21:31   #132
Caz
God Member

Quote:
I do agree with you, but perhaps the council should be making more effort to drum up more culturally acceptable custom - of course sex will always sell, but does it pay in the long run when only appealing to a particular section of the community? And also in the long run will it bring in more custom when as I said previously it is being done far better than some seedy backwater club above a restaurant in a small downmarket town in East Lancashire?
As a resident of Accrington I object to being classed as "riff raff", for starters.

It seems you are the only person to object to this establishment being opened, and seem to be denigrating anyone who doesn't.

Who made you the guardian of people's morality?

Where do you suggest we stop? Close the private shop down, ban Anne Summers parties? Take the pole out of the local night club?

As previously stated if you really have a bee in your bonnet about something, take some action about it rather than moaning and preaching on here. Nothing so annoying as folk who complain but do nowt.

Coincidently, the Rev's missus is called Ann/e. Couldn't be could it?....

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Caz; 18-09-2011 at 21:33. Reason: Punctuation
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 21:31   #133
Beacon of light

Cashy, that is the thing...everyone has different ideas about what makes a good night out......it depends on what gender you are, your ethnicity and your age group.

I'm pretty sure that the Top Hat club up at Sudell Cross was a bit.....how shall I put it? 'Interesting' at times....and that is going way back.
Old 18-09-2011, 21:34   #134
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Didn't Loony Logan try to ban Harry Potter, because he was in league with the supernatural, and therefore Satan?

Jeez, no wonder he's getting all hot under the collar, and worked up about some lasses jiggling their titty bottles about for mens' pleasure.

Hang on, isn't that what already happens in most clubs up and down the land, each and every Satueday night?
Yes, of course, I was right.

'A COLOURFUL vicar who once claimed Harry Potter encouraged "dangerous" paganism has warned modern man is in danger of "returning to the apes".'
Parting thoughts of vicar Kevin | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Here's a lovely picture of Loony Logan, and his lovely wife...Anne.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoonyAnneLogan.jpg (37.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 18-09-2011, 21:36   #135
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Cashy, that is the thing...everyone has different ideas about what makes a good night out......it depends on what gender you are, your ethnicity and your age group.

I'm pretty sure that the Top Hat club up at Sudell Cross was a bit.....how shall I put it? 'Interesting' at times....and that is going way back.
Oh i went to em all Margaret,way back, wouldn't dream of going to those places or the like now, but wouldn't dream of knocking folk that do, i was young once.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..