Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: In a free referendum on E.U. membership -
Yes, I vote we remain E.U. members. 4 10.81%
No, I vote we withdraw from being E.U. members. 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 20:35   #46
God Member

Re: How'd you vote in an E.U. referendum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and before those who live abroad get too jittery,
That's me I'm afraid -though it's having devastating effects on agriculture here...

I'm the original nationalist -lived here in Italy half my life -have never considered taking out citizenship, and never would , am glad my sons have a Brittish passport and w ould never have allowed the Channel tunnel to have been built if I'd had anything to do with it....

What am I doing here i ask myself -you could ask the same....circumstance!?!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2011, 20:38   #47
Senior Member+

I personally have no objection to a simple in out vote. Settles the issue democratically. I have no axe to grind either way. There are arguments on both sides. Jobs v legislative independence, Employers v uncontrolled EU migration. Directives v getting rid of 27 layers of bureaucracy and red tape, protection against globalisation v capital flight. I think the jobs and the fact that in my experience through the European Committee, EU knows what it is doing and does it well, the UK doesn't particularly around protecting it's citizens sub as consumer protection and a big stake to shake at big business bad practices.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 20:42   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the biggest problem is simply folk can have no objections at all to a poll, but the simpletons at the top end of "All Parties" do. its that simple.
Old 10-10-2011, 20:45   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
That's me I'm afraid -though it's having devastating effects on agriculture here...

I'm the original nationalist -lived here in Italy half my life -have never considered taking out citizenship, and never would , am glad my sons have a Brittish passport and w ould never have allowed the Channel tunnel to have been built if I'd had anything to do with it....

What am I doing here i ask myself -you could ask the same....circumstance!?!
The Norwegians and the Swiss are able to live wherever they like in Europe.

They are welcomed, not as E.U. members, but as people who come from places with considerable economic wealth, who happen to be independent of any binding alliances.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 20:49   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I personally have no objection to a simple in out vote. Settles the issue democratically. I have no axe to grind either way. There are arguments on both sides. Jobs v legislative independence, Employers v uncontrolled EU migration. Directives v getting rid of 27 layers of bureaucracy and red tape, protection against globalisation v capital flight. I think the jobs and the fact that in my experience through the European Committee, EU knows what it is doing and does it well, the UK doesn't particularly around protecting it's citizens sub as consumer protection and a big stake to shake at big business bad practices.
Graham, what the European Union has become, not one person British person voted for.

It was an economic community, the last time people were allowed their say, in 1975.

It is no longer a trade alliance.

That isn't democracy.

Old 10-10-2011, 20:53   #51
God Member

Quote:
The Norwegians and the Swiss are able to live wherever they like in Europe.

They are welcomed, not as E.U. members, but as people who come from places with considerable economic wealth, who happen to be independent of any binding alliances.
Ok G, but where does that apply to me? Or to those who live working for the EU -I have several friends.... Thay have already suffered cut-backs and how many jobs would be lost by a withdrawal by the UK? Questions not criticisms - you understand....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 20:54   #52
God Member

i worry that we are already too tied up by the whole "Europe" thing....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 20:56   #53
God Member

The world is a village - that's the populist maxim -if we withdraw from being a part of a bigger entity do we not risk diminishing ourselves...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 21:08   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Yes, this happens to be a link to the Daily Mail.

Right-wing, axe to grind, blah, blah, blah.

But it's been widely reported in all the press.

Justify this, and tell me what it has to do with a trade alliance.

Fined £150million for failing to fly the EU flag: Now British firms are told how to fight back | Mail Online

Even more interesting would be a justification for this absolute madness.

'Last night the European Commission said it would take the Government to court unless it draws up plans to axe restrictions on claims by immigrants, saying they are against the law and must be scrapped.'
Now the EU orders Britain: Let migrants claim benefits as soon as they arrive in UK | Mail Online

I'll repeat again.

Not one person in this country voted for what's happening to us now. Laws passed in Brussels, that we are forced to live under.

That is very wrong.

Old 10-10-2011, 21:15   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ok G, but where does that apply to me? Or to those who live working for the EU -I have several friends.... Thay have already suffered cut-backs and how many jobs would be lost by a withdrawal by the UK? Questions not criticisms - you understand....
Yes, I'm afraid the E.U. gravy train would run dry for some, if Britain was to withdraw.

In the long-term, for the sake of the nation, that's a small price to pay.

Brits lived happily throughout Europe for at least a century before 1973.

They were welcomed, because they either had skills, or wealth to offer.

I can't see that changing.

It hasn't for the Norwegians and Swiss.

Money talks.

Old 10-10-2011, 21:18   #56
God Member

Quote:
Money talks.
I think that's at the heart of the problem unfortunately...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 21:32   #57
God Member

So much for this being an anonymous poll then...I'm not scared of my thoughts being known...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 21:34   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think that's at the heart of the problem unfortunately...
Yes, money does talk.

So do we.

When we say 'Au revoir' to it.

As we wave it off, when it leaves to go to the E.U.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: UK is biggest loser in £300bn EU handouts

British pensioners among the poorest in Europe - Times Online

UK '£9bn worse off' over EU rebate - Public Service

Our elderly worse off than Romania's: British pensioners among the poorest in Europe | Mail Online

UK left £4.3bn worse off in EU funding shake up

Old 10-10-2011, 21:37   #59
God Member

it's not just the UK that's feeling the pinch

Don't want to be a walk-over but....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 21:38   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So much for this being an anonymous poll then...I'm not scared of my thoughts being known...
It is a secret poll.

It was purely a fluke I saw Graham do it.

Vote how you would in a referendum.

You lose no respect for that, however you vote.

Bernard I'll never agree with on this matter, and I hope he will change his mind, one day.

He won't, and I respect that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..