Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Today's EU question: how would you vote if todays motionable Q is out to a referendum
Out 22 78.57%
In with reform 4 14.29%
In (as we are) 1 3.57%
Wouldn't vote 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2011, 21:30   #46
God Member

Re: Today's EU question: how would you vote?

About 80 Tory's voted for it and about 18 Labour I think. Official figures/which way individuals voted will be available tomorrow.
Old 24-10-2011, 21:33   #47
God Member

The irony of all this of course, is that because two thirds of the legislation affecting the UK now comes from Brussels, we don't need as many MP's to do the job as previously - despite a population increasing by a half million a year. So those that voted against a referendum can't really complain when their constituency seat is abolished, can they?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:35   #48
Give, give, give member

Graham Jones has just this moment tweeted that with 83 Tory rebels it's a 'disaster' for the Conservatives.

No Graham, with only 111 M.P.'s voting that people are allowed their voice in a referendum, it's a disaster for democracy.

Carry on.

You make your politically spun hay whilst the sun shines.

There's dark, threatening clouds on the horizon.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:42   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Graham Jones has just this moment tweeted that with 83 Tory rebels it's a 'disaster' for the Conservatives.

No Graham, with only 111 M.P.'s voting that people are allowed their voice in a referendum, it's a disaster for democracy.

Carry on.

You make your politically spun hay whilst the sun shines.

There's dark, threatening clouds on the horizon.
Eh? Where's his logic on this one. If 'owt, it's a disaster for Labour, whose supporters are just as anti-EU as the Tories - if not more. The electorate will have alot more respect for those who have truly represented them than for any spineless and gutless yes man who is simply concerned about his own political future, and that will be reflected in the next election.

I think it's time Mr Jones took a chill-pill and went to bed. The excitement of the day has plainly got to him.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:46   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Eh? Where's his logic on this one. If 'owt, it's a disaster for Labour, whose supporters are just as anti-EU as the Tories - if not more. The electorate will have alot more respect for those who have truly represented them than for any spineless and gutless yes man who is simply concerned about his own political future, and that will be reflected in the next election.

I think it's time Mr Jones took a chill-pill and went to bed. The excitement of the day has plainly got to him.
Posted on Twittter, 26 minutes ago.

GrahamJones_MP
#eudebate #eu 83 Tory rebels. Whips said over 75 was a disaster. = Tory disaster.

Old 24-10-2011, 21:47   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What Mr Jones should have tweeted was the fact its a disaster fer democracy,n from my standpoint he should be ashamed.
Old 24-10-2011, 21:50   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What Mr Jones should have tweeted was the fact its a disaster fer democracy,n from my standpoint he should be ashamed.
Read it and weep.

https://twitter.com/#!/GrahamJones_MP

Old 24-10-2011, 22:00   #53
Give, give, give member

From the smug political spin, I'm just making a wild guess our M.P. voted against us having our say in a referendum.

As stated earlier, I will never again vote for anyone who doesn't actively support a referendum on E.U. membership.

So, even though I've voted Labour ever since I first could, in 1983, other than voting for Ken Livingstone as an independent, and for Britcliffe, once tactically, so I could perhaps help Graham's chances, it's a from me.

Old 24-10-2011, 22:12   #54
Give, give, give member

Plus, as well as never again voting for any politican that didn't/doesn't actively support an E.U. referendum, I shall actively support and campaign for those who oppose them, and who do support democracy.

True, small fry.

Just one nutter, and his one vote.

But I'm a nutter with one hell of a big gob.

Which I'll use to shout LOUD.

Old 24-10-2011, 22:17   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Plus, as well as never again voting for any politican that didn't/doesn't actively support an E.U. referendum, I shall actively support and campaign for those who oppose them, and who do support democracy.

True, small fry.

Just one nutter, and his one vote.

But I'm a nutter with one hell of a big gob.

Which I'll use to shout LOUD.
...and I'm not alone.

I'm obviously better placed to gauge local feeling. Certainly better than some, more ambitous types.

There's an awful lot of people totally pee'd how Europe is screwing us, and ordinary folk aren't able to do diddly squat about it.

Old 24-10-2011, 22:21   #56
Give, give, give member

'If' our M.P. voted against the referendum I personally know twelve, historically Labour voters in Hyndburn, who will no longer be so after tonight. As this sad, possible outcome was discussed yesterday.

Old 24-10-2011, 22:32   #57
Super Moderator

Obviously from the tone of Graham Jones's merry little quips on twitter he feels it's a good night's work. Ingratiated himself with his political masters and scored a few cheap points against the Tories. Job done.

I would suggest that there will be consequences for him and others further down the line. When our rulers in Brussels have forced us to provide a full range of benefits to any EU citizen who pitches up here whether or not they've worked in or have any connection with this country and this is allied with an expansion to take in a number of Eastern European states, anti-EU sentiment will be on the rise. And people will not forget this night's work from Mr Jones and his ilk.
Old 24-10-2011, 22:46   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Obviously from the tone of Graham Jones's merry little quips on twitter he feels it's a good night's work. Ingratiated himself with his political masters and scored a few cheap points against the Tories. Job done.

I would suggest that there will be consequences for him and others further down the line. When our rulers in Brussels have forced us to provide a full range of benefits to any EU citizen who pitches up here whether or not they've worked in or have any connection with this country and this is allied with an expansion to take in a number of Eastern European states, anti-EU sentiment will be on the rise. And people will not forget this night's work from Mr Jones and his ilk.
No, you're right.

Let some enjoy their hollow victory.

There'll be monumental consequence because of tonight's travesty against democracy.

Old 24-10-2011, 22:47   #59
God Member

Quote:
“When your neighbour's house is on fire, your first impulse should be to help them put out the flames, not least to protect your own house”
David Cameron.

Er...yes. If you're a bit stupid.

The correct thing to do is to firstly evacuate your own family safely.

Then dial 999, and let them deal with it professionally.
Yes, it is a dumb statement. And not even original ... one of Cameron's speech writers must have read ... or misread ... FDR's lend-lease speech

But it is a sad day for you guys, and for democracy in general ... esp. when polls over there are showing 49% support for leaving the EU; and that is without a formal, orgainized campaign to whip up support for the "let's get the hell out while we still have a country" point of view.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 22:54   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

When yeh look at this a little deeper, what the majority of MPs are saying is- They regard the British Public "Too Stupid" to know whats best fer em, i sincerly hope people aint that stupid,they forget this night!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..