Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2012, 11:45   #781
Give, give, give member

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
only yesterday it was disclosed that HMRC had not bothered to chase the interest on tax debts of large companies(like Vodafone)....so it beggars belief that GJ is wittering on about some little man dodging a few quid in tax(though, I'm not saying it is right).
It seems that the tax net is to catch all the little flies(like you and me) and big flies break right through it and pay nothing....legally.
Isn't it time that the government looked at all these tax evasion/avoidance schemes and closed the gaps? Maybe then, the finances of the country would be in a healthier state.

Foreign students owe millions of pounds in unpaid student loans – yet only nine have been taken to court to recover the debts.

'Nearly half of all students from European Union countries, who can take advantage of subsidised student loans like British students, are failing to meet their repayments.'

Thousands of EU students owe £20 million in unpaid loans but just nine have been taken to court - Telegraph

You'd think any half-decent politican would be shouting about this outrageous situation.

As long as he wasn't a europhile internationalist M.P.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2012, 14:36   #782
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well he might want to stay away from the subject of bank misdemeanours. After all, it was his lot that brought in "light touch" banking regulation, under the auspices of the oh-so-aptly named Ed Balls.
If he were still alive I do believe dear old Kenneth Williams would be quipping "What do you expect after all they are all a load of "Barclays Bankers"!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:24   #783
God Member

I have a theory that Barclays bankers are conspiring with others against the national interest - but few of you would believe me

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:29   #784
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
only yesterday it was disclosed that HMRC had not bothered to chase the interest on tax debts of large companies(like Vodafone)....so it beggars belief that GJ is wittering on about some little man dodging a few quid in tax(though, I'm not saying it is right).
It seems that the tax net is to catch all the little flies(like you and me) and big flies break right through it and pay nothing....legally.
Isn't it time that the government looked at all these tax evasion/avoidance schemes and closed the gaps? Maybe then, the finances of the country would be in a healthier state.
Margaret I'll tell you a tale, A mate of mine had a pub and he went bust, the Rev and costumes were chasing him for £6k, he had an interview at the tax office and was called in and asked to take a seat. just as the interview was starting the phone rang, the TI said well take his rolls, take the plane as well, puts the phone down, my mate says and I thought I had problems, the guy says yes Mr Smith you are what we call a mere pain in the arse, I kid you not, that is true
Old 28-06-2012, 17:31   #785
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have a theory that Barclays bankers are conspiring with others against the national interest - but few of you would believe me
MargaretR, I have a theory that Barclays bankers are conspiring to get as rich as as possible as quickly as possible and to hell with what damage it does to the rest of us and the country.

So we agree! That's two of us to start with.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:33   #786
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No Margaret I don't believe you because its true, they ARE conspiring agains the national interest, its not a theory
Old 28-06-2012, 17:38   #787
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No Margaret I don't believe you because its true, they ARE conspiring agains the national interest, its not a theory
Precicely! and until emails were leaked it was a theory.

Many theories evolve into tomorrows facts, so they should not be ridiculed and derided. They should be investigated.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 17:44   #788
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Precicely! and until emails were leaked it was a theory.

Many theories evolve into tomorrows facts, so they should not be ridiculed and derided. They should be investigated.
Margaret your still banging on about JFK, Dianna and the flaming moon landingsand they've all been done to death over years and years and years
Old 28-06-2012, 22:59   #789
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Foreign students owe millions of pounds in unpaid student loans – yet only nine have been taken to court to recover the debts.

You'd think any half-decent politican would be shouting about this outrageous situation.

As long as he wasn't a europhile internationalist M.P.
And you'd think any half-decent government would be doing something about it.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 23:12   #790
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well he might want to stay away from the subject of bank misdemeanours. After all, it was his lot that brought in "light touch" banking regulation, under the auspices of the oh-so-aptly named Ed Balls.
Ah I see.. it's all yer bleedin labours fault.. can't say I noticed any changes made in the banking system that allowed illegal fixing of interest rates ..Am I in some sort of different time zone or do we have a not so new government?.. and what are they going to do about it?
Old 28-06-2012, 23:36   #791

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Ah I see.. it's all yer bleedin labours fault.. can't say I noticed any changes made in the banking system that allowed illegal fixing of interest rates ..Am I in some sort of different time zone or do we have a not so new government?.. and what are they going to do about it?
Erm...to answer your question...Nothing!

Which is kinda the point of the whole thread... once anyone gets a little bit of power, regardless of party, they get a god complex, and totally ignore the electorate
Old 28-06-2012, 23:51   #792
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And you'd think any half-decent government would be doing something about it.
You would.

Just as I hope our own represenative in that government would be.

But alas, no.

Graham Jones.

Internationalist europhile M.P.

Old 28-06-2012, 23:55   #793
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Am I in some sort of different time zone?
Perhaps if you take off your blinkers for a minute, and look where Mickey Mouse's hands are pointing, you'll find out.

Old 29-06-2012, 00:01   #794
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Erm...to answer your question...Nothing!

Which is kinda the point of the whole thread... once anyone gets a little bit of power, regardless of party, they get a god complex, and totally ignore the electorate
I don't think so.. any local MP in opposition has very little power and it's fair to say Graham Jones has little support on Accy Web whatever the in's n out's are. but it sometimes seems a good distraction to this governments actions.
Old 29-06-2012, 00:03   #795
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You would.

Just as I hope our own represenative in that government would be.

But alas, no.

Graham Jones.

Internationalist europhile M.P.
But you don't have a representive in this government

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..