Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 22:19   #16
Super Moderator

Re: What tugs at your heartstrings?

You know that bit in all the Second World War documentaries? After the fall of Dunkirk, but before the Battle of Britain, when the Nazis were just across the channel and it was regarded as a definite given that they would now invade and the rest of the world had written us off. This is the bit where the commentator says: "...and now Britain stood quite alone" and you see footage of ordinary folk just like us going to work, getting on buses, housewives shopping, postmen delivering mail, quietly, calmly and with a look of unconcern. That always gets me right here and makes me realise what was once great about this country...now largely lost I fear, although you do still see flashes of it from time to time!
Old 05-11-2011, 22:19   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You're right.

Not religious.

But eyes are the gateway to the soul, or whatever you want to call it.

Be it man, or beast.
No, not religious....well unless you count religion as being the ability to give the gift of kindness, to be able to empathise, to see suffering and want to make it better....because by making the suffering better, you make yourself better too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:21   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
memories of what once was and that will never be again. A little selfish I suppose but that's not only the nature of depression but also the fuel to it's fire.
Without getting (too) maudlin...I'm not even drunk!

When something horrible happens, losing someone we love for instance.

The most recent memories are the first to go.

Because they're usually connected to how we lost that person.

Eventually all the memories which might be hard to live, with leave, and all we're left with are the warm, happy, and nourishing ones.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:23   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Eventually all the memories which might be hard to live, with leave, and all we're left with are the warm, happy, and nourishing ones.
Nail on head yon.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:24   #20
Senior Member+

I was just watching Rolf Harris on the Piers Morgan talk show and the recording of ´Two Little Boys´ came on.

Around forty years ago I was sitting with my future husband in Jean Daniel´s pub just off Plantation Street listening to the same record. Andy died almost thirty years ago but it felt like yesterday. I could break my heart.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:25   #21
God Member

Quote:

That's true - and they are the ones to focus on along with the fun times -not the shadowy things.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:26   #22
Senior Member+

it's more the fact that i am still trying to come to terms with a disability which screwed up my job, led me into financial meltdown and damn near destroyed my life, and I just wish I could go back to when everything was fine and I was doing the job I loved (even though the job was the cause of the problem)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:28   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
it's more the fact that i am still trying to come to terms with a disability which screwed up my job, led me into financial meltdown and damn near destroyed my life, and I just wish I could go back to when everything was fine and I was doing the job I loved (even though the job was the cause of the problem)
Although I'm no expert, i think the secret lies in focusing on what you CAN do and not what you can't do any more. It will be a big shift but there may be some positives ..for example making new friends on accy web or finding new interests...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:29   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
I was just watching Rolf Harris on the Piers Morgan talk show and the recording of ´Two Little Boys´ came on.

Around forty years ago I was sitting with my future husband in Jean Daniel´s pub just off Plantation Street listening to the same record. Andy died almost thirty years ago but it felt like yesterday. I could break my heart.
That pub would be the Kings Arms on Lee St june,used to pop in back then.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:30   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:

Someone put words to that effect in a card that was sent to me when my father died.....and I thought to myself 'huh! What do they know?'......but I have to say it is true.

For a while I couldn't talk about my dad without getting upset....and even now 20 years down the line, that still happens....but I can remember the good memories. I can talk about him. I often talk to him...though he never answers me back.....and the memories are warm and they do make me smile. Life has to be like this. We have to live in the 'now'....but the 'now' is affected by the past, and nothing can alter that.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:32   #26
Super Moderator

Watching Stanley in the league and knowing my old fella never lived to see it happen.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:34   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, not religious....well unless you count religion as being the ability to give the gift of kindness, to be able to empathise, to see suffering and want to make it better....because by making the suffering better, you make yourself better too.
I hate cruelty, and bullying.

As a child I was always a big bruiser. So it wasn't ever a physical problem, charging in, and stopping other kids being bullied. Even then I didn't give a fig, if it meant the majority, the gang mentality, would turn against me, and I would be ostracised from the group. Strangely it didn't. Probably being able to make people laugh, meant I was accepted, despite being 'different'.

I do get the ocasional pang of guilt today.

Wondering whether it's cruel, and bullying, to attack those who are cruel, or bullies.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:34   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Watching Stanley in the league and knowing my old fella never lived to see it happen.
yep same here as we both have said before wyn.
Old 05-11-2011, 22:35   #29
Beacon of light

Steve he might not be watching it with you...but who is to say he isn't watching it?
Old 05-11-2011, 22:37   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I hate cruelty, and bullying.

As a child I was always a big bruiser. So it wasn't ever a physical problem, charging in, and stopping other kids being bullied. Even then I didn't give a fig, if it meant the majority, the gang mentality, would turn against me, and I would be ostracised from the group. Strangely it didn't. Probably being able to make people laugh, meant I was accepted, despite being 'different'.

I do get the ocasional pang of guilt today.

Wondering whether it's cruel, and bullying, to attack those who are cruel, or bullies.

Not cruel as far as i'm concerned, if more had the bottle to do that,would be much less bullying in the world.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..