Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 23:10   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: It's not so smart to have a 'smart meter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, of course we do.
I risk life and limb every day to cross the road with the tinlids...we minimise our risks by taking sensible precautions.

The scientists never agree on anything for more than a week at a time, so I would take whatever any publication tells me with a pinch of salt.(and that is probably bad for me as well)
After all, I am from the generation who ate mud, licked the paint on my cot(which probably contained lead) played with lead soldiers....had food cooked in aluminuim pans, climbed trees, played conkers, drank water out of a mill stream(that had fish frogs and tadpoles in it)..........and I'm still here!
Same.

Same school of thought.

Some dirt does you more good than harm.

Living in clinical isolation isn't wise.

Mithering (yourself to death), when there's little choice about something, could also be physically bad for our general health.

I will not risk my health by worrying too much, after having assesed the dangers of having new gas/electricity meters in my home. Especially as there is little, or no alternative from this happening.

Unless there is some credible evidence forthcoming, it probably won't be worth me spending much time fretting about it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2011, 23:29   #17
God Member

i used to have a microwave to defrost rats for my pet snake and thats about all they are fit for .When teh snake died teh microwave went to the tip before anyone could do something stupid like cook food in it or something

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 00:14   #18
Give, give, give member

All these harmful things they keep coming out with.

That, and the world population rising all the time, at break neck speed.

I just can't fathom it.

Old 08-11-2011, 00:17   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i used to have a microwave to defrost rats for my pet snake and thats about all they are fit for .When teh snake died teh microwave went to the tip before anyone could do something stupid like cook food in it or something
I just pretend to fill the kettle.

Your thousands of brews have all been made in the microwave.

Old 08-11-2011, 00:54   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I just pretend to fill the kettle.

Your thousands of brews have all been made in the microwave.

you mean that ping noise wasnt your pacemaker ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 08-11-2011, 01:05   #21
God Member

http://www.electricalpollution.com/d...2-09132007.pdf
"Chronic exposure to electric and magnetic fields
(EMF) may be hazardous to your health. The World
Health Organization (WHO) urges all member
countries to pass laws that would limit human
exposure to EMF. The WHO announcement resulted
from hundreds of studies published in credible
research journals throughout the world."

I know that total avoidance of EMF radiation is impossible.
Limitation of exposure is advisable.
That is why Smart Meters are bad news.
They, unlike some household appliances, are unecessary.
The meters we have are adequate for purpose.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56   #22
God Member

all meters shoudl be removed from all houses they dont need them seen as most of the bills are estimated..

lets put the shoe on teh other foot and have us estimate how much we think we owe them for a change

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
all meters shoudl be removed from all houses they dont need them seen as most of the bills are estimated..

lets put the shoe on teh other foot and have us estimate how much we think we owe them for a change

Now,........that would really be good!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59   #24
Give, give, give member

When these new meters are rolled out, in accordance with E.U. regulations, I wonder what will happen to those customers who currently have pay as you go meters, and buy top-up cards?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree.

Why should the U.K. be forced to comply to binding legislation issued from Brussels?

As for safety...

I'm more inclined to believe information supplied by Which?, than the Prophetess of all things Doom and Gloom.

Are smart meters safe?

So far, there has been no medical evidence to suggest that smart meters are unsafe for people.
Smart meter roll out - Smart meters and energy monitors explained - Energy monitor reviews - Creating an energy saving home - Which? Energy

(It was next door, who flushed the bog. The evil Jewish financier's still in there.)

That's quite right Rindi why should we have to put up with all this crap from Brussels, maybe we could have a referendum on it
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Now,........that would really be good!
Ya I would certainly furnish them with an address to send the refund
Old 08-11-2011, 13:39   #27
God Member

Quote:
When these new meters are rolled out, in accordance with E.U. regulations, I wonder what will happen to those customers who currently have pay as you go meters, and buy top-up cards?
maybe they will finally stop been ripped off.

its distgusting that people who need to budget and pay upfront for their gas or electricity are charged almost twice as much as those who pay a bill.Not one of teh governments that have been in power has done a damn thing to stop the poor been blatantly ripped off.

Old 29-04-2014, 06:52   #28
Senior Member+

16,000 SSE customers could be in line for a refund as energy supplier admits meters are faulty | This is Money

Sorry for bumping a old thread but, are suppliers guilty of (indirect) manslaughter or a similar criminal charge?
By that, I mean all those vunrable elderly folk who have died because they was to frightened to turn their heating on, which it now turns out they was being over charged (ripped off) for.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:18   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
16,000 SSE customers could be in line for a refund as energy supplier admits meters are faulty | This is Money

Sorry for bumping a old thread but, are suppliers guilty of (indirect) manslaughter or a similar criminal charge?
By that, I mean all those vunrable elderly folk who have died because they was to frightened to turn their heating on, which it now turns out they was being over charged (ripped off) for.
Where do you get the idea that anyone has died because they were frightened to use their heating because of these meters?
No mention of deaths caused directly or indirectly in the article you have linked to.
Perhaps it is just a little bit of 'over the top' speculation that has somehow crept into your thinking?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:52   #30
God Member

my brother has a device that shows how much electricity he is using im assuming its one of these smart meters

im going to make a point of taking a power drill each time i visit infact my phone could do with a charge so i may visit today

at least i will be able to see how much money im saving by using his electricity

mind you these devices are handy you can bill your kids and deduct from their pocket money what they use to charge laptops,tablets,phones and use on teh xbox
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..