Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2014, 08:24   #31

Re: It's not so smart to have a 'smart meter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
my brother has a device that shows how much electricity he is using im assuming its one of these smart meters
That's probably just a device that monitors the meter & gives readings of current & recent consumption. I think a 'smart' meter actually delivers metering information directly back to the supplier thus eliminating the need for meter readers or consumers submitting their own meter readings.

I believe the current charging discrepancies are due to the meter clocks being incorrectly set so that 'Economy 7' was being charged at the full rate instead of a reduced rate?
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2014, 08:24   #32

Quote:
...mind you these devices are handy...
Mine isn't a meter, it's just a display, but I take a look before bed every night just to make sure everything's off. If it's showing more than 150Wh there's something other than the fridge, fish tank and the video recorder running. It's usually a light left on somewhere. Some things don't show up, like a PC monitor in standby.

As for old folk dying because they are scared of turning the heating on - I can see how that might happen. We're a comparatively young family with a decent enough household income (so not a fixed weekly pension), and we turn off the heating as early as possible and leave it as long as we can before turning it on.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:44   #33
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
As for old folk dying because they are scared of turning the heating on - I can see how that might happen. We're a comparatively young family with a decent enough household income (so not a fixed weekly pension), and we turn off the heating as early as possible and leave it as long as we can before turning it on.
Yes, I can see that it might happen, because of expense.

This:-
Quote:
are suppliers guilty of (indirect) manslaughter or a similar criminal charge?
By that, I mean all those vunrable elderly folk who have died because they was to frightened to turn their heating on, which it now turns out they was being over charged (ripped off) for.
However is based on what? Certainly nothing solid, mere speculation on the posters behalf.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 12:21   #34
Beacon of light

We are on a fixed income.....and we are cautious with our heating. Saying that, last winter we used less but paid more. I am going to get some long johns for next winter.....at this rate we will be paying to have it switched off

Since the weather warmed up a bit the central heating has been turned off.....I hope it doesn't need to go back on until about the third week in November
Less likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 17:10   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Where do you get the idea that anyone has died because they were frightened to use their heating because of these meters?
No mention of deaths caused directly or indirectly in the article you have linked to.
Perhaps it is just a little bit of 'over the top' speculation that has somehow crept into your thinking?
Perhaps it was a little "over the top speculation" on my behalf, however if one (I'm sure there would be more) old dear out of say the 20,000 (in the link below) was frightened enough to not put their heating on and died of hyperthermia, Would that then make them guilty of manslaughter etc (in your honest opinion)? I'm genuinely interested.

It's against the law for someone to be helped to die with dignity, but perfectly ok and legal for a government to engineer someones departure via hypothermia
The price increases we're seeing year on year are little comfort for the 3 million (you'll have to google the exact figures as I CBA ) pensioners spending more than say 10% of their income on fuel bills (some of which are not able to heat their home and have a hot meal on the same day) our government should be ashamed of treating our elderly in this way.

20,000 pensioners died from the cold last winter | UK | News | Daily Express

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 20:05   #36
Resident Waffler

I'm not worried about the arrival of smart meters. I've armed myself with orgone accumulators! They should keep me safe.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:51   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm not worried about the arrival of smart meters. I've armed myself with orgone accumulators! They should keep me safe.
do they compliment a tinfoil hat or should i switch to a crash helmet lined with lead ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 18:52   #38
Beacon of light

definitely the latter accyman.
Old 30-04-2014, 22:09   #39
Senior Member+

While it may be easy to dismiss critics as "tin foil hat" wearers , smart meters have a few real problems.

These company's don't give a toss about the elderly folk dying,I think most pensioners have 'paid their dues' and it should be up to our great country to care for them (perhaps raising the state pension would be a good start) and force these utility companies to give reduced rates to pensioners while their at it

password--Accyweb
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23   #40

Quote:
do they compliment a tinfoil hat or should i switch to a crash helmet lined with lead ?
Restless is ready for a meter to be fitted.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 10-09-2014, 18:56   #41
Senior Member+

"Smart meters will save only 2% on energy bills, say MPs,Installing the meters - which begins in earnest next year will cost £215 per household, or £10.6bn."

Smart meters will save only 2% on energy bills, say MPs - BBC News

Surely,the customer should get rewarded for having one, not charged
I suppose the energy companies will save a small fortune because they no longer need to send round the meter readers (I bet that went down well,because once these are rolled out most of them will be out of a job).

password--Accyweb
Old 11-09-2014, 11:50   #42

I do not want nor will I be forced to have a smart meter.

They are not 100% compulsory despite what the suppliers say.

They are not 100% secure and blaggers can identify my usage patterns and when I am out.
They give out pulses all the time that can interfere with WIFI or my amateur radio equipment.

They will not save me any money at all, they will however save the leccy companies from needing to visit to read the meter, savings that will be unlikely to be passed on to me.

Smart meter - no ta.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:48   #43
Beacon of light

Neither will I be having one of these things.....British gas can shove them up their astrakhan coat!
Old 11-09-2014, 13:03   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
I do not want nor will I be forced to have a smart meter.

They are not 100% compulsory despite what the suppliers say.

They are not 100% secure and blaggers can identify my usage patterns and when I am out.
They give out pulses all the time that can interfere with WIFI or my amateur radio equipment.

They will not save me any money at all, they will however save the leccy companies from needing to visit to read the meter, savings that will be unlikely to be passed on to me.

Smart meter - no ta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Neither will I be having one of these things.....British gas can shove them up their astrakhan coat!
Your correct they can't 'force you' to have one, though, do you still have to pay the extra regardless?
I suppose it was the gov/EU idea to have nearly every house fitted with one by 2020.

They're just a expensive waste of time imo,plus they could be dangerous to my health due to the electromagnetic waves...

....No thanks!

password--Accyweb
Old 11-09-2014, 13:14   #45

Re: Re: It's not so smart to have a 'smart meter'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Your correct they can't 'force you' to have one, though, do you still have to pay the extra regardless?
I suppose it was the gov/EU idea to have nearly every house fitted with one by 2020.

They're just a expensive waste of time imo,plus they could be dangerous to my health due to the electromagnetic waves...

....No thanks!
If you genuinely believe they could be detrimental to your health, may I suggest you also refuse to have, wifi, computers, tv's, electric mains and a whole sundry of other devices in your home, they all use and give off electromagnetic waves.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..