Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2011, 21:50   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Where will this madness end?

I'm an atheist, who was brought up in a family with a long history of Methodism.

I don't care tuppence what any religionists want to do, or how they celebrate their festivals.

I'm very tolerant.

Tolerant as long as they don't ring my bell and try to save me, stone me, burn me, or try to throw me off a tower.

If they don't, I'll happily let them get on with whatever lights their holy flame.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2011, 21:58   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
they actually were a migratory race thought to originate from asia minor, invading and settling throughout europe making their way to britain, all before christianity came here
Yes.

They weren't indigenous to Britain, as you tried to suggest.

No need for Google.

Cursed with a good memory.

Remember being taught about the migration of the Celts at infant school.

Last edited by garinda; 21-12-2011 at 22:01.
Old 22-12-2011, 04:57   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
I celebrate the midwinter festival at the same time as others celebrate christmas
So you've latched your own Midwinter Festival on with everyone else's Christmas celebrations, on the 25th of December?

Rather than celebrating the winter solstice today, the 22nd?

Isn't that what your Christian 'invaders' did?

I suppose that brings us full circle.

By the way, just because something's taught, no one's forced to believe anything that they don't want to.

Everyone has personal choice, when it comes to what their own beliefs are.

Old 22-12-2011, 08:45   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'm still waiting for these hordes of muslims who are supposedly somewhere in Daily Mail land, ready and waiting to stop me celebrating Christmas. Ain't seen any yet but I know they're out there!
Well I'm not surprised you can't find um in the Mail Wyn, they're usually hiding in the Guardian and Independent
Old 22-12-2011, 08:50   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
And Paganism wasn't forced on people? Haven't you seen the 1973 documentary film 'The Wicker Man'?
Ya but Nicolas Cage made a better fire in the remake than Edward Woodward did in the original
Old 22-12-2011, 08:51   #96
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Reading through this thread makes me think jedi has got the wrong end of the stick it was about the predominant religion in a country being forced to take a back seat to avoid offending a more minority religion.His facts about Christianity seem to be a little off kilter, i myself was a pupil at a church school St Christophers and do not practise any religion. But if people want to follow their god thats up to them, but to be in what is traditionally (like it or not jedi) a christian country and expect the populous of that country to curb their religious beliefs for fear of offence is wrong. And by the way Christmas trees have their origins in latvia, Lithuania , and Germany, in the 13th and 14th centuries and became more popular here after Queen Victoria married Prince Albert.

Sorry just spotted rindy has cleared up about the christmas tree.
Wrong end of the stick, he's not even in the same tree WM
Old 22-12-2011, 09:01   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So you've latched your own Midwinter Festival on with everyone else's Christmas celebrations, on the 25th of December?

Rather than celebrating the winter solstice today, the 22nd?

Isn't that what your Christian 'invaders' did?

I suppose that brings us full circle.

By the way, just because something's taught, no one's forced to believe anything that they don't want to.

Everyone has personal choice, when it comes to what their own beliefs are.
Well I tend to agree Rindi, I'm an RC, but that doesn't mean I have to be blinkered and believe anything because the "church" says so, that's why I have my own views on contraception and homosexuality, views I have formed through life experience, not what some guy in Rome says what I should believe. Take contraception, can't stand bloke setting down the rules when he don't play the game, its not the "church" that have to bring up the kids.
Old 22-12-2011, 09:10   #98

Seems like I stirred up a hornets nest here.......nevertheless it is interesting reading peoples views......
Merry Xmas........
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:42   #99
Super Moderator

Are we not in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here?

I don't see anyone being prevented from celebrating Christmas, either religiously or otherwise in this country. Plenty of Asian families round our way with Christmas trimmings up. Lots of carol singing, nativity scenes, angels and all the rest of it in evidence here, there and everywhere.

As for that hoary old myth about Winterval replacing Christmas, even the Daily Mail have had to admit they got that one wrong:

We stated in an article on 26 September that Christmas has been renamed in various places Winterval.
Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998.

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about being prevented from getting to the bar in every pub I go in to drink sufficient quantities of ale, due to the hordes of amateur drinkers who descend on us at this time of year. Now THAT'S summat worth complaining about!
Old 22-12-2011, 09:45   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Are we not in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill here?

I don't see anyone being prevented from celebrating Christmas, either religiously or otherwise in this country. Plenty of Asian families round our way with Christmas trimmings up. Lots of carol singing, nativity scenes, angels and all the rest of it in evidence here, there and everywhere.

As for that hoary old myth about Winterval replacing Christmas, even the Daily Mail have had to admit they got that one wrong:

We stated in an article on 26 September that Christmas has been renamed in various places Winterval.
Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998.

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about being prevented from getting to the bar in every pub I go in to drink sufficient quantities of ale, due to the hordes of amateur drinkers who descend on us at this time of year. Now THAT'S summat worth complaining about!
Ya them Muslims are murder Wyn
Old 22-12-2011, 11:43   #101
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well I tend to agree Rindi, I'm an RC, but that doesn't mean I have to be blinkered and believe anything because the "church" says so, that's why I have my own views on contraception and homosexuality, views I have formed through life experience, not what some guy in Rome says what I should believe. Take contraception, can't stand bloke setting down the rules when he don't play the game, its not the "church" that have to bring up the kids.
That mans talking sense again
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 13:15   #102
Senior Member+

how I choose to celebrate the time of year is totally irrelevant, it is my choice and I have a right to that choice. As I said originally, I am not religious and so celebrate in a non-religious way. This unlike some of you does not stop me respecting and tolerating ALL faiths and beliefs. As for barking up the wrong tree, open mindedness and acceptance of others appears to be a cardinal sin here and as you all seem to have failed to see that I posted the fact I believe that christmas should not be banned (which i believe to be the original discussion) however individuals should be allowed to celebrate in their own way without prejudice (a concept which seems lost on you) I will endeavour to put my time into something more productive. They do say you can't educate pork and that certainly seems to be the case for some people round here. Noone has asked you to change or alter your beliefs but in this so called season of goodwill to all men, one would expect you to respect other peoples.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 13:19   #103
God Member

I don't see any value in teaching religion, or celebrating religious festivals in schools.

If you want your child to have a religion, teach him yourself at home, and celebrate at home.

School time could be spent on other more practical learning.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:28   #104
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't see any value in teaching religion, or celebrating religious festivals in schools.

If you want your child to have a religion, teach him yourself at home, and celebrate at home.

School time could be spent on other more practical learning.
wise words
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 14:58   #105
Beacon of light

Anyway, I am not going to apologise for this.........
Merry Christmas, and a Peaceful New Year to all on Accyweb...

regardless of your beliefs
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..