Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2012, 23:13   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Coppice always did it for me Cashy
Well me late brother did once go to the"Imperial Hotel" fer his july holidays, me mam went nuts, True story that Stevie.
Old 21-01-2012, 08:15   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie R View Post
Sounds like a` man on a mission` Cashy. how old was your kid?
was 71 so he woulda been 18.
Old 21-01-2012, 09:16   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well me late brother did once go to the"Imperial Hotel" fer his july holidays, me mam went nuts, True story that Stevie.
Would she have rather he had gone to the Commercial cashy
Old 24-01-2012, 21:41   #65
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The Costa Concordia tragedy is a reminder of the dangers of the sea. Over recent years, bigger and more luxurious ships have been built to cater for the desire of people to experience a life on the ocean wave, and its staggering to think that the Costa Concordia had over 4,000 passengers on board.

Personally, the thought of going on a cruise fills me with horror. Confined in an enclosed space for days on end with thousands of other people.....being told where and when you are going to put unto port...... queuing for hours to get ashore as all 4,000 people want to go ashore at the same time........ having your bags searched on re-embarking so that any illicit booze you bought ashore can be confiscated to make you pay inflated on board prices for drinks........

And the so-called highlight of the cruise, dining at the Captain's Table. As someone once said, "I paid a fortune for this cruise, and I'm expected to eat with the bloomin' crew!"

I think I'll stick to terra firma!
We have been on three cruises and loved it. You don't have to go on a ship that is umpteen storeys high with several thousand passengers. There are plenty of smaller ships around that are small enough to go where the big ships can't. We have been above the Arctic Circle twice.

Surely being told where and when you are going to put unto port - you choose a cruise for the ports of call - well we do at least - and as for having your bags searched on re-embarking so that any illicit booze you bought ashore can be confiscated to make you pay inflated on board prices for drinks - that's news to me.

And the captain's table - you think that with that many passengers everyone gets a chance to do that - think again!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 21:46   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Gynn is wrong it aint 4000 passengers its oer 4000 on board wi oer 1000 of em crew. Fact we were on it 3 years ago.
Old 25-01-2012, 14:18   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well me late brother did once go to the"Imperial Hotel" fer his july holidays, me mam went nuts,
cashman, I'm sure I'm missing something here!
What was special about the 'Imperial Hotel'? Or should I not ask?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:18   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
We have been on three cruises and loved it. You don't have to go on a ship that is umpteen storeys high with several thousand passengers. There are plenty of smaller ships around that are small enough to go where the big ships can't. We have been above the Arctic Circle twice.

Surely being told where and when you are going to put unto port - you choose a cruise for the ports of call - well we do at least - and as for having your bags searched on re-embarking so that any illicit booze you bought ashore can be confiscated to make you pay inflated on board prices for drinks - that's news to me.

And the captain's table - you think that with that many passengers everyone gets a chance to do that - think again!
I got an invitation to dine at the Captains table on the first cruise I went on, it was pushed under the cabin door, it just said to Mr John Farrer MBE on the envelope, it just so happened that I knew the purser from a buzz up the previous night so I showed him the invite, it appears there was another distinguished gentleman on board called Mr. John Farrar MBE I missed out on the top table for sake of an "e"
Old 25-01-2012, 19:27   #69
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I missed out on the top table for sake of an "e"
Must of been using the same flamin' keyboard as you Jay.
Old 26-01-2012, 09:00   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Must of been using the same flamin' keyboard as you Jay.
Dave, keep telling ya there's nout wrong with the keyboard, its the numpty using it that's the problem, besides they were typewriters in those days not keyboards
Old 26-01-2012, 09:51   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
cashman, I'm sure I'm missing something here!
What was special about the 'Imperial Hotel'? Or should I not ask?
Gordon..........It was his local.
Old 27-01-2012, 03:44   #72
I am Banned

used to work on the cruise ship,great job but bloody murder on your day off,as we couldn't escape the bloody passengers,always asking stupid questions like wheres the front off the ship or when do you use the lifeboats,i had an american couple who made my life hell for 2 weeks,always complaining and moaning,so on the last day i got their door key whilst they were at breakfast and put firey jack in their swimwear,they have never moved faster in their lives,thought that they had got a skin infection, one to the lads
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 05:07   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
used to work on the cruise ship,great job but bloody murder on your day off,as we couldn't escape the bloody passengers,always asking stupid questions like wheres the front off the ship or when do you use the lifeboats,i had an american couple who made my life hell for 2 weeks,always complaining and moaning,so on the last day i got their door key whilst they were at breakfast and put firey jack in their swimwear,they have never moved faster in their lives,thought that they had got a skin infection, one to the lads
Do you think that perhaps you are not well suited for a job in customer services?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 08:50   #74
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Do you think that perhaps you are not well suited for a job in customer services?
It's just a shame he wasn't caught in the act, it would have appeared that he was fondling the ladies swimwear, I wonder what the penalty would have been for a pervert on the high seas?
A damned good flogging? Walk the plank? Perhaps, hung from the highest yard arm?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:01   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It's just a shame he wasn't caught in the act, it would have appeared that he was fondling the ladies swimwear, I wonder what the penalty would have been for a pervert on the high seas?
A damned good flogging? Walk the plank? Perhaps, hung from the highest yard arm?
Na Less Keelhauling would have been better

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..