Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2012, 23:06   #91
God Member

Re: I'm sick to death with Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
:swe ar8:
Think you got that one wrong mobertol
Wow ... that's quite a response; somebody give you a wedgie
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12   #92
Senior Member+

Makes me laugh when we get the bags through the door collecting clothes for the starving people in less fortunate country's! Tell you what if they can fit in my clothes they are certainly not starving!!
Old 08-03-2012, 18:25   #93
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
On my last three visits to Accy, I'm sick of being approached by those in empoly of charities, whose job is to try and sign you up, and get your bank details off you.

How come when we did a fund raising day, we were told it's illegal to rattle your bucket, or solicit for money, by speaking to people first, yet hoardes of aggressive youngsters are allowed to run up and down Broadway in their green tabards, actively hassling people going about their business?

They used to drive me mad in London, and Glasow.

Who's given them permission to run amok in Accy?
'Charity muggers' to be banned from Accrington town centre (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Good.

Well done H.B.C.

They were out in force on Broadway on Tuesday.

It is hard to be civil, when saying no thank you for the seventh time, when approached by these hard sell, charity muggers.

Can't come too soon.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 18:36   #94
God Member

Quote:
'Charity muggers' to be banned from Accrington town centre (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Good.

Well done H.B.C.

It is hard to be civil, when saying no thank you for the seventh time, when approached by these hard sell, charity muggers.

Can't come too soon.

If they are clever enough they will just stand with a can of beer or a few drugs in their hand, they won't get shifted then
Old 08-03-2012, 19:08   #95
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If they are clever enough they will just stand with a can of beer or a few drugs in their hand, they won't get shifted then

Well, as you say, they would have to stand.

Nowhere to park their backsides.

Seeing as benches are in short supply.

Old 08-03-2012, 20:24   #96
I am Banned

Quote:

Good.

Well done H.B.C.

Can't come too soon.
Surely they can be identfied by the street camera's, all it would need then is for a copper to show his face, or is that to much trouble these days.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:05   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Surely they can be identfied by the street camera's, all it would need then is for a copper to show his face, or is that to much trouble these days.
These chuggers would have needed a license to be here, which would have been issued by the council.

Thankfully this seems to be coming to and end.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19   #98
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Is there no end to money grabbers trying to take our cash?

Now it seems the Bible Society want us to send them four pounds a month so we can give the poor in China their very on copy of this book.
If the only thing missing from the Chinese poor peoples lives is the word of the Lord, then compared with the starving in Africa they are indeed blessed.
Africa has been force fed the word by missionary's for centuries, it doesn't seem to have done them any good.

Last edited by Less; 12-03-2012 at 09:24.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 19:26   #99

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Old thread but IMO it's got relevant again...

We got the woman with the unpronounceable name who dresses like a hanging basket allegedly dishing money out to the wrong people....we got a charity which is spending its tin rattled collection money intent on taking the NHS to court unless it gets its own way (does anyone expect that when they put money in a tin it will be used for this and not to ease suffering????)..we have a disabled woman who has sold poppies for years, raised thousands and is pilloried, in public, by jobsworths because she carries a 'float' where she offers to give change to people who only have notes in their pocket.

Don't even get me started on the RSPCA and how much of your cash goes in admin/management costs, or how some charities are making so much money that they give their staff bonuses year on year, pour millions into websites, social media, tv adverts and flyers because they are not allowed to profit, yet still rattle their tins outside supermarkets asking for more...

Tonight it's the annual tug at your heartstrings night, where a TV station paid for by you, is sponsored by various companies getting free advertising (on a supposed advert free channel), where you are asked yet again to put your hands in your pocket by performers, many of whom have tax havens/loopholes/clever accounting or are unashamedly plugging their latest ventures..

Yep...I'm sick to death with charities too..

And the problem is...some charities actually need to be supported, and these guys don't get a look in because of the 'corporate' charities (case in point,,as I write this the Adchoice link at the top of my page is the WWF 'adopt a tiger for christmas for £3 a month')
Old 13-11-2015, 23:03   #100
God Member

i wonder how much money raised for children in need was allocated to a hush money pot

BBC has done a lot to raise money for kids yet seem to be still held uncountable for the rape of children , covering these crimes up and protecting pedophiles

find it kind of rich that very wealthy people take to our tv's to tell us to spare what money we can for them and on behalf of one of the UK's biggest pedophile rings to boot

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 16:25   #101
Senior Member+

If I gave £1.00 to every charity that asked me in one way or another, there wouldn't be much left of my State Pension. I do wonder how many of these so-called "celebrities" do it for the publicity it brings them and are we ever told how much these "celebrities" donate to that particular charity that they are gaining free publicity from? Oh, we do donate - RBL, RAFBF, Help for Heroes, Marie Cure and the Coeliac Society - for everything else it is "No thank you, we don't agree with your fat cat executive salaries"
Old 14-11-2015, 20:18   #102
God Member

i decided long ago that if it isnt a local charity it gets nowt

except cancer research i gave money and a portion of my computers processor to them long before i got it myself.

( the processor thing may be confusing lol - cancer research released a computer program that ran simulations of how medicines or treatments would work.Rather than rely on one computer to go through billions of combinations this application installed on thousands of computers world wide split the work and sent the data back )

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 22:11   #103
Beacon of light

My hand made cards raise money for cancer charity....Beating Bowel Cancer and Macmillan.
I make the cards and ask for a donation rather than put a price on the card.....I take nothing for materials, or my time. I reckon that all hobbies have a cost.....and I enjoy the creating.....so I reckon this is a fair deal. I get pleasure and the charities get some money.
accyman, maxthecollie and Turtle like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 19:20   #104

I give to charities which are personal to me and, in particular, my mother. What really annoys me is cold calling on my doorstep. We have had two in the last three weeks. No doubt they are for good causes, but there are thousands of good causes, and if they all cold-called I would be forever running to and from the front door.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:56   #105

What gets me is when we get a charity from miles & miles out of our district in the town centre.

I just walk straight past these.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..