Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2012, 04:08   #46
God Member

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
is this true ?
ian
Of course it is, didn't you know? The great and the good only legislate for the little people, they themselves are above the law. You need to pay more tax.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:21   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
This from the woman who claims to be sensitive/allergic to more or less everything.

Roll your own cigarettes are not the safer option
Research using roll-up cigarettes made by smokers, shows that the levels of nicotine and cancer-causing chemicals inhaled are often higher than those from bought cigarettes. RYO cigarettes are more likely to cause mouth, throat and lung cancer as well as lung diseases such as emphysema and heart disease.

I must now conclude that MargaretR is not the harmless old eccentric I once supposed but an authentic, all-out, full-blown barmpot.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:23   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Sorry, jay, I don't understand that.
The NHS has done very well for me Bob over the last 30 years the only think wrong with it is to much red tape and too many pen pushers
Old 18-02-2012, 10:10   #49
Junior Member+

The facts are that no-smoking in pubs and clubs as added to most places demise. When the barmy government brought out these they didn't know the harm it would cause in lost jobs etcetra,and put more people out of work. Now they are doing the same with acohol abuse, it only the affects the working class guy. And they altered the drinking hours (a big mistake). This is what as affected all smaller towns like Accy. That's why the town is quite dead now. Woody
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 10:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
It smacks a bit of hypocrisy that the only bar in the country in which you are able to smoke is in the House of Commons!
is this true ?
ian
If you have a look at Parliament.uk it will tell you where smoking is allowed, apparently three bars. I don't know how to post directly to the link.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 12:01   #51
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine wood View Post
The facts are that no-smoking in pubs and clubs as added to most places demise. When the barmy government brought out these they didn't know the harm it would cause in lost jobs etcetra,and put more people out of work. Now they are doing the same with acohol abuse, it only the affects the working class guy. And they altered the drinking hours (a big mistake). This is what as affected all smaller towns like Accy. That's why the town is quite dead now. Woody
Don't really know where to start with your post. Expressing yourself in better English might help.

Were you seriously suggesting that the town's demise is down to changes in the law on alcohol and tobacco? What about loss of jobs in factories and mills? The downward progress has been going on for a lot longer than the concerns about booze and fags. Are you suggesting we should all be smoking and drinking to excess to keep the town on its feet?

And please explain how alcohol abuse only affects the working class guy.

The smoking ban was a very good thing - people who want to indulge in this filthy habit can still do so but those of us who find it abhorrent don't have to suffer the effects on our health or our clothes and environment.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:18   #52

My friend went to purchase some on Tuesday pm and could'nt because the assistant could'nt find them.
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 13:52   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
My friend went to purchase some on Tuesday pm and could'nt because the assistant could'nt find them.
Me thinks the assistant isn't cut out for that job
Old 18-02-2012, 19:39   #54
Senior Member+

I ventured into Accrington market this week and as I passed the cigarette shop I noticed they were still in full view.
Is it only ASDA who hides the cigarettes?
Old 18-02-2012, 19:42   #55
Senior Member+

Yes it does'nt become law until later in the year.
Old 18-02-2012, 22:06   #56
Senior Member+

The guy selling me my ciggies the other day wasnt impressed. He said that the only thing it does is make the queue twice as long to serve now.

I personally dont think that it will deter anyone from smoking.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:15   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Yes it does'nt become law until later in the year.
I'm sure the lady at Asda told me legislation was coming in in April, and Asda were doing it early so that they got things right for that month, as there are certain rules laid down by the Goverment. Sorta' practice runs.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:49   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The NHS has done very well for me Bob over the last 30 years the only think wrong with it is to much red tape and too many pen pushers
That's a bit crisp coming from someone who has had almost every ailment known to mankind. .. and then you still have a poke at the NHS.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 03:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Don't really know where to start with your post. Expressing yourself in better English might help.

Were you seriously suggesting that the town's demise is down to changes in the law on alcohol and tobacco? What about loss of jobs in factories and mills? The downward progress has been going on for a lot longer than the concerns about booze and fags. Are you suggesting we should all be smoking and drinking to excess to keep the town on its feet?

And please explain how alcohol abuse only affects the working class guy.

The smoking ban was a very good thing - people who want to indulge in this filthy habit can still do so but those of us who find it abhorrent don't have to suffer the effects on our health or our clothes and environment.
By the way, welcome to Accy Web, Christine.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:36   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Come on, susie, don't hold back! What do you really think about about smoking- no need to hold back.
I'm sure christine found your critique of her post helpful- your post was all so tactfully put.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 19-02-2012 at 13:44.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..