Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Oh you are offal, but I like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Ughhh! I did used to quite like cooked tongue, but just the thought of Pig's Trotters.....gasp.....retch.
Lovely Jubbly Bob, getting stuck into a trotter on a saturday tea time aftert footy
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Oi cheeky
Cheeky but right Dave
Old 13-03-2012, 05:12   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Lovely Jubbly Bob, getting stuck into a trotter on a saturday tea time aftert footy
Ughh, that sounds just offal, jay!
Old 13-03-2012, 10:04   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Ughh, that sounds just offal, jay!
Great wi a bit of salt a vinigar Bob yummy yummy
Old 13-03-2012, 12:34   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
That makes me feel OK about eating a bit of raw liver when I'm cutting it up for frying.

Raw liver apparently is the best form of meat you can eat.

In His hands The benefits of eating RAW LIVER
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:05   #36
Beacon of light

Eating raw liver was the treatment for pernicious anaemia until cyanocobalmin was formulated.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:07   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eating raw liver was the treatment for pernicious anaemia until cyanocobalmin was formulated.
It is widely known by all ancient societies that liver is the most nourishing food on the planet. Liver contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food including:
  • High-quality protein
  • Vitamin A – nature’s most concentrated source
  • All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12 if consumed raw
  • One of our best sources of folic acid
  • A highly usable form of iron
  • Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
  • A yet unidentified but proven to exist anti-fatigue factor
  • CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function if consumed raw
  • A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA
This is taken from that link on Liver!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:13   #38
Beacon of light

That all may be true, but there isn't enough money in the world to pay me to eat it cooked...never mind raw.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:22   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cyanocobalmin is one of the 3 forms of vitamin B12
The other two are methylcobalamin and dibencoside - I take these two sublingually.

Cyanocobalmin leaves molecules of cyanide in the body after it is absorbed so i don't use it. The reason it is used by medical practioners is due to its longer 'shelf life'. Methylcobalamin needs dark cool conditions to ensure no loss of potency and is impractical for chemists to stock.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is common amongst vegetarians and they mistakenly think they can get it from spirulina.

PS I also use co- enzyme Q10.
(note to anyone on statins- statins reduce your body's own capacity to produce it, and also you produce less as you age.) Deficiency leads to heart problems.

Last edited by MargaretR; 13-03-2012 at 13:30.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:22   #40
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cyanocobalmin is one of the 3 forms of vitamin B12
The other two are methylcobalamin and dibencoside - I take these two sublingually.

Cyanocobalmin leaves molecules of cyanide in the body after it is absorbed so i don't use it. The reason it is used by medical practioners is due to its longer 'shelf life'. Methylcobalamin needs dark cool conditions to ensure no loss of potency and is impractical for chemists to stock.
A bit of a chemistry lesson coming up here - this is not meant to be patronising, but informative. Margaret, apologies if you know this already but others may not.

Cyanide itself is not a molecule. In inorganic chemistry it is known as an ion, CN-, which can form compounds with various metals. In organic chemistry it is known as a radical, which can form molecules with all sorts of other organic groups to form compounds such as cyanocobalamin. The inorganic cyanides are far more toxic than the organic cyanide compounds.

Hydrogen cyanide, HCN, also known as prussic acid, is one of the most toxic cyanide compounds and is found is all sorts of smoke from organic substances including tobacco smoke, as well as in the stones of fruits such as almonds and plums - the compound is well known for its bitter almonds taste and smell.

The amount of cyanide liberated when cyanocobalamin is converted to Vitamin B12 is so small that its toxicity is negligible apart from concerns that heavy smokers should not be given cyanocobalamin since they may already have higher CN levels from tobaco smoke.

Forty years ago I did a PhD in organic chemistry. Part of my research involved reactions using hydrogen cyanide in the form of a liquefied gas. I had to wear a respirator and there had to be someone outside the room, also wearing a respirator, standing by with the antidote in case it were needed.

I also had an ex boyfriend who committed suicide by ingesting one of the inorganic cyanides, not sure which, which he had taken from his lab.

So I think I know a little bit about the subject!
Old 13-03-2012, 14:35   #41
God Member

Thanks for the useful info.

Is the hydrogen cyanide in cigarettes an additive during manufacure or does it occur naturally in unprocessed tobacco leaves?

Old 13-03-2012, 14:49   #42
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Thanks for the useful info.

Is the hydrogen cyanide in cigarettes an additive during manufacure or does it occur naturally in unprocessed tobacco leaves?
I would have thought it was naturally occurring or produced during burning as cyanide occurs in smoke produced from burning other organic substances - such as cannabis!
Old 13-03-2012, 16:18   #43
God Member

I was right for the wrong reasons
I have found this which explains why methylcobalamin is better than cyanocobalamin
Cyanocobalamin Versus Methylcobalamin

Old 13-03-2012, 19:01   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
That makes me feel OK about eating a bit of raw liver when I'm cutting it up for frying.

Raw liver apparently is the best form of meat you can eat.

In His hands The benefits of eating RAW LIVER
That might be so, but I do draw a line at eating it raw A rare steak yes raw liver ugggg, na can't stomach that
Old 13-03-2012, 19:24   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
raw liver ugggg, na can't stomach that
It can't be that bad- didn't Hannibal recommend it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..