Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 20:06   #1

Telephone Preference Service

After trying to have a couple of quiet days at home i've now registered for the above service

Today I've received 3 calls regarding car insurance, 2 for home insurance 1 regarding making a will, 1 to protect my sky TV equipment, 2 for PPI refunds and 2 calls that were legitimate

Being out at work I wonder if today was just a one off or is it like this everyday

Has anybody else used the service and does it work?
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2012, 20:09   #2
God Member

Re: Telephone Preference Service

see this loooong thread
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...alls-5842.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:17   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
After trying to have a couple of quiet days at home i've now registered for the above service

Today I've received 3 calls regarding car insurance, 2 for home insurance 1 regarding making a will, 1 to protect my sky TV equipment, 2 for PPI refunds and 2 calls that were legitimate

Being out at work I wonder if today was just a one off or is it like this everyday

Has anybody else used the service and does it work?
It's like this all the time, despite singing up to the TPS.

I screen my calls now, on the answerphone, and only pick-up if it isn't an unsolicited call.

Safer.

As I've ocasionally been called by someone newly diagnosed with Parkinson's, who can suffer with hesitation in speech, but I thought was the time delay from India, to go forth and multiply!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:22   #4
Beacon of light

The calls from the asian sub continent still get through....as do a few others.
I have been telling the callers that their call is illegal....and having ascertained first, the name of the company calling, I tell them they are going to be reported to the Commisioner for information and their firm will get a five thousand pound fine.....they ring off pretty damn sharpish.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:35   #5

Depending what mood I'm in I sometimes string along the calls from India for ages, agreeing with everything they are telling me and saying yes/ok at various times - I take it they're paying for the call so I'll ty and inconvienience them as much as possible
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 21:02   #6
Give, give, give member

I'd just like to point out that I did actually 'sign' up for the TPS.

I'm not still getting calls because I sang my request.

Asking to be freakin' well leave me in peace.

Old 08-03-2012, 21:04   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Depending what mood I'm in I sometimes string along the calls from India for ages, agreeing with everything they are telling me and saying yes/ok at various times - I take it they're paying for the call so I'll ty and inconvienience them as much as possible

I have had some fun with calls too.......I have asked them if they are a friend of the deceased and did they know them well. that usually sends them into a bit of a tailspin.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 22:23   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

We signed up when last thread was going, get very few n far between now, though not sure if its the service,or the fact we used to answer,leave phone in other room.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46   #9

I am signed up for the service but still get loads of sales calls and this morning at 4.11 am received a call from 02034554012. When I picked the phone up it was just a dialling tone and this morning have done a bit of research and it seems a lot of people get these calls during the night which to me is really not on.
Bearing in mind I have elderly parents and my dad is really not well at the moment you can imagine my thoughts when the phone goes off in the middle of the night. People tell me to switch the phone off but for obvious reaons I can't.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35   #10
Resting in Peace

I signed up years ago but still get these calls I've even registered to try and stop foreign calls too but I still get um, had two from the same lot yesterday calling themselves the British Credit agency or something like that, telling me they could help me solve my debt problems, when I told the chap that his company weren't very good on research he couldn't understand me, I just said well if you'd troubled to do any instead of just dialling a random number you could have save yourself time and money seeing I have never had any debt, now sod off and don't bother me again, or words to that effect
Old 09-03-2012, 13:10   #11
God Member

the companies get around it now by doing surveys .When rang me i tod them they shouldnt be ringing me but they just said nope they were ok to becaus ethey were doing a service.Also BT mazingly enough dont have the ability to block telesales coming in from other countries so comapnaies are moving abroad so they can annoy everyone again

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 18:40   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the companies get around it now by doing surveys .When rang me i Tod them they shouldn't be ringing me but they just said nope they were ok to because they were doing a service.Also BUT amazingly enough dont have the ability to block telesales coming in from other countries so companies are moving abroad so they can annoy everyone again
Ya well I've now brushed up on words with my words of one syllable, to tackle these annoying irks from abroad, and let um have bother barrels when they ring, two this afternoon
Old 10-03-2012, 16:34   #13
God Member

Another good tactic is to ask them to hold because the person they need to speak to is in another room, then just leave em dangling.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:45   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Another good tactic is to ask them to hold because the person they need to speak to is in another room, then just leave em dangling.
I do that with people I know.

'Mr. Rindy he in baff.'

'I no leave you long time.'

'I just go kitchen, tell him.'

Then I go and make a brew.

Old 10-03-2012, 17:19   #15
God Member

You baff in the Kitchen??????

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..