Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 21:15   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Are you superstitious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Cricket ball?
The umpire said it was a 'no ball'.
It didn't feel like it-I thought it was a cannon ball!
Seeing as you mentioned cricket...I assumed it was a cricket ball.......though why they have to wrap a half brick in red leather, and then call it a ball, beats me...what is that all about?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2012, 21:17   #32
God Member

My Gran's was definitely a Rabbit's foot -it was white, with a semi-precious stone set in it and kept in a pink musical jewellery box with a little ballerina which came out when you opened it . Got thrown out when she died -much to my displeasure. It was something I remember loving as a little girl -not for the jewels, as the most expensive things were her crystal beads but it was something very particular that got lost in one of my mum's clear outs.

Another of my Gran's superstitions was that if you gave a new purse or wallet it had to contain silver - a sixpence in old money. I carried the sixpence she gave me for well over twenty years till it got lost -supposed to bring wealth... could do to find it

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:19   #33
JFT96

Most aircraft don't have a row 13. I try not to worry about it

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:22   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
My grandad's generation in my father's family were incredibly superstitious ad I grew up with these three and still abide by them. And it's not just new shoes but any...

Funnily enough they lived in a house numered 13! I always thought that superstition came from the number of people at the last supper - Jesus and the 12 disciples. Been to hospital today and noticed that one of the beds was numbered 12a rather than 13 - but today was my 13th session of radiotherapy!

Another superstition in our family was that if you come in by the front door you go out the same way and not the back door, and vice versa.

Don't look at the new moon through glass - bit of a bummer if you wear glasses!

Never heard of the magpie one - only the one for sorrow two for joy rhyme.
The front door thing...was one my gran abided by.......the new moon through glass...well, I wear glasses so if I hadn't got them on, I wouldn't know there was a moon.....and it would probably be unlucky for me not to be wearing my specs(I'd fall over something)
Another new moon one.....when you saw the new moon for the first time(each month) you had to turn over the money in your pocket.....this would (supposedly) mean more money would come into your pocket.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:34   #35

my mother used to say 13 lucky for some,but thought green was bad luck,pity because it was one of my favorite colours
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:36   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallyman View Post
my mother used to say 13 lucky for some,but thought green was bad luck,pity because it was one of my favorite colours
Yer mam may well have had a few at the bingo? The callers always said "Unlucky for some 13"
Old 09-03-2012, 22:38   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallyman View Post
Yep none of my dad's family ever wore green. I love it.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer mam may well have had a few at the bingo? The callers always said "Unlucky for some 13"
yep,she was bingo mad

Last edited by pallyman; 09-03-2012 at 22:52.
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 00:10   #40
Senior Member+

I remember playing Bingo once, when the conversation between the caller and a player went something like:-

Caller: Clickety click, 66. On its own, number 5. Legs 11, Unlucky for some,,,,
Player: HOUSE!
Caller:....23
Player: 23? That's not unlucky for some!
Caller: It's unlucky for you, love!

I always try and utter the words WHITE RABBITS as the first words on the first day of every month.

Goodness knows why!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I remember playing Bingo once, when the conversation between the caller and a player went something like:-

I always try and utter the words WHITE RABBITS as the first words on the first day of every month.

Goodness knows why!
It was probably started by the Victorian equivalent of the nutter, who today sends out texts/emails.

The ones which say that the message was started by a sick child in South America five years ago, and if you don't pass it on, to at leat ten other people, there'll be grave misfortune, or even a death.

Rabbit rabbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Besides the few superstitions which are based on common sense, most seem to pray on human frailty, or fear.

Not being rude, just curious, are superstitions most common amongst catholics?

Both sides of my family weren't superstitious, and as far as I know, most Methodists still aren't.

Again I don't know, but in the catholic religion can't bad things be rectified, by repeating certain prayers/catchisms?

Superstitions seem to follow the same principles.

The course of the future can be altered, if you do certain things, by (religiously) following a prescribed set of rules.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh, I forgot.

I do have one superstition.

Never walk down the middle of the road at night.

Or if you do, have a big, dazzling smile on your face.

It could be lucky.

Where did you get that picture of Retlaw
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Seeing as you mentioned cricket...I assumed it was a cricket ball.......though why they have to wrap a half brick in red leather, and then call it a ball, beats me...what is that all about?
Margaret, how dare you, its not a brick at all, its loads and loads of twine rapped tightly then covered with the finest leather then stained either Red white or now even pink.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

Goodness knows why!
Grannie Claret used to open a white rabbits thread on here at the start of every month gynn
Old 10-03-2012, 16:17   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not being rude, just curious, are superstitions most common amongst catholics?

Both sides of my family weren't superstitious, and as far as I know, most Methodists still aren't.

Again I don't know, but in the catholic religion can't bad things be rectified, by repeating certain prayers/catchisms?

Superstitions seem to follow the same principles.

The course of the future can be altered, if you do certain things, by (religiously) following a prescribed set of rules.

Superstitions, Amulets, Talismans, Charms, etc. were all considered by the Catholic Church, according to the General Catechism, to be elements of witchcraft and thus tools of the devil. Well, at least up until 1968. After that date it is anyones guess as to what is or is not permitted.

Though the superstition surrounding relics of the saints still seems as bizarre and as popular as it ever was. In Naples, the blood of Saint Januarius still liquifies on his feast day. If you have a relative who is ill you may borrow a mitten once worn by Padre Pio to place beneath their pillow. And so it goes on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..