Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 20:12   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Are you superstitious

Well, at least commandos don't wear kilts, do they?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2012, 20:43   #62
Beacon of light

Aaaarrrggh....(runs off before catching a view of something she shouldn't).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 00:25   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I am not superstitious, touch wood.
He said touching his forehead!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 00:28   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
In Italy it's the number 17 that is bad luck, especially Friday the 17th

Comes from the roman numeral XVII which is an anagram of VIXI which means "I have lived" -a perfect tense in Latin which implies "I am dead..." , at least that's what I've been told. Hence the superstition.

In the DaVinci Code I seem to remember them explaining the 13 thing being linked to a massacre of innocents in France...

A lot of superstitions are linked to nature and death -owls are bad luck, crows, a single magpie etc...
New shoes on the table I would avoid, like Margaret. Not walking under ladders makes sense especially if they are painting up there...
If owls are bad luck then birdwatchers must be always having a lot of it and the RSPB! So that ones rubbish, a creation of primitive minds!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
If owls are bad luck then birdwatchers must be always having a lot of it and the RSPB! So that ones rubbish, a creation of primitive minds!
To be honest I've never heard of owls being bad luck, single Maggies ya but owls
Old 12-03-2012, 18:57   #66
Resting in Peace

Does Groove have a brother
Old 12-03-2012, 19:24   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Talking of owls, have you seen this Kestrel ? Know you are interested.

Sorry for the thread wander, they are so cute, how can anyone say they are bad luck :

owlceanside on USTREAM: Mel & Sydney Inside Cam #2/4 . CLUTCH #2 - 2012 MAGGIE - Hatched 3/7 at 11:31am .

I am not superstitious at all, by the way, all a load of bologna.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:27   #68
Beacon of light

It wouldn't do for us all to have these mad rituals, that we feel we have to perform to save us from the evil eye...and my logical side tells me that this is just what they are....but my other side...the illogical one always wins.
Old 12-03-2012, 19:30   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
Hearing an Owl at night is said to be the harbinger of bad luck or even death. The way to avoid this is to take all your clothes off, turn them inside out and put them back on again.

Quite how this works is beyond me but I would not recommend doing it in public, unless you are assured of appearing before a very understanding Magistrate.

+
Is the capital letter of Owl, because you need to know the bird personally, otherwise it's hooting doesn't foretell of doom?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:57   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be honest I've never heard of owls being bad luck, single Maggies ya but owls

Owls have carried a mixed bag of superstitions since time immemorial. The ancient Greeks revered owls and believed them sacred to Athena. Affiliated with the goddess of wisdom and learning, the owl was considered wise and kind.
But somewhere in time, the owl's reputation plummeted and hearing the hoot of an owl is now associated with bad luck. To counter evil owl power put irons in your fire. Or throw salt, hot peppers or vinegar into the fire, the owl will get a sore tongue, hoot no more, and no one close to you will be in trouble. When you hear an owl, take off your clothes, turn them inside out and put them back on. You might not want to do this if you are in public.
But there is one superstition that's good - good for us women that is. Any man who eats roasted owl will be obedient and a slave to his wife

Superstitions and Old Wives' Tales
Old 12-03-2012, 23:05   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:

But there is one superstition that's good - good for us women that is. Any man who eats roasted owl will be obedient and a slave to his wife

Gawd, wished I had known that before I'd fed my ex. with all those fillet steaks.

Must contact Jamie Oliver for cooking instructions though...

No ... I just couldn't :

spottedowlhelper_1.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 04:11   #72
God Member

We quite often see barn owls when we are on the way to work in the very early mornings. Eerie birds, but very beautiful. I dimly recall a group of people standing outside the Market Hall with real owls and for a few quid you could have your photo taken with an owl perched on your arm. Do they still do that?
Old 13-03-2012, 17:43   #73
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
I dimly recall a group of people standing outside the Market Hall with real owls and for a few quid you could have your photo taken with an owl perched on your arm. Do they still do that?
Can't say about Accy but if you wander round Southport just off Lord street & into the Wayfarers arcade, the animal rescue people are usually there collecting for all things, large, small, furry, feathered & scaly. While we were visiting in Feb, they had several types of Owls & a couple of birds of prey on display, along with your more everyday Rabbits, Guineas, a couple of Frets, Hounds, Cats & Snakes.
Old 13-03-2012, 19:15   #74
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Can't say about Accy but if you wander round Southport just off Lord street & into the Wayfarers arcade, the animal rescue people are usually there collecting for all things, large, small, furry, feathered & scaly. While we were visiting in Feb, they had several types of Owls & a couple of birds of prey on display, along with your more everyday Rabbits, Guineas, a couple of Frets, Hounds, Cats & Snakes.
Frets... are they er-less ferrets Dave?? Do they spend all day worrying?
Old 13-03-2012, 19:18   #75
Beacon of light

They(the owl people) were onBury Market last Saturday.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..