Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 13:37   #421
Senior Member+

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
There is a difference between somebody that pushes drugs and somebody that sells drugs.

Yes. What for just an example I decide to grow a load of cannabis and sell it to a bunch of people that I know. Would this be an immoral act? no it wouldn't. Illegal yes.

But If I bag it up, stand on street corners(do pushers actually do this? I have never seen it) and whisper to little kids...
Yes it's illegal but growing a bit of cannabis and then sell it to a few mates is your choice to break the law.

But if you sell out side schools and so on to underage children that is highly immoral and you should be given a sentence in my view.

So places in London there are dealers on the street who approach people in the street and offer drugs for sale.
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2012, 13:51   #422
Senior Member+

Has anyone heard of Khat? (pronounced Cot) It is a plant from Africa - Ethopia and Somalia - it is legal in the UK and gives the user mild euphoria and is a bit like mild speed. It is legally available from Somalia type green grocers, probably maybe some in Blackburn or Manchester.

It comes in bundles of leaves on stalks and has to be chewed to get the effect - the juice from chewing is swallowed and the remaining material spat out. It is a lot of effort to chew it and has a bitter taste and is a bit similar to chewing a bag of liquorice - it takes up to 2 hours to chew enough. It is mainly used by those Ethnic types as a social stimulant in social meetings, bit like British use beer in the pub.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kh...w=1067&bih=505

Last edited by kestrelx; 02-09-2012 at 13:57.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:17   #423
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Has anyone heard of Khat? (pronounced Cot) It is a plant from Africa - Ethopia and Somalia - it is legal in the UK and gives the user mild euphoria and is a bit like mild speed. It is legally available from Somalia type green grocers, probably maybe some in Blackburn or Manchester.

It comes in bundles of leaves on stalks and has to be chewed to get the effect - the juice from chewing is swallowed and the remaining material spat out. It is a lot of effort to chew it and has a bitter taste and is a bit similar to chewing a bag of liquorice - it takes up to 2 hours to chew enough. It is mainly used by those Ethnic types as a social stimulant in social meetings, bit like British use beer in the pub.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kh...w=1067&bih=505
Seems like the drug of choice, Kes, according to this graph (see thumbnail below)... but perhaps not legal for too much longer if the Tories have their way...

((From Wikipedia) Although concerns have been expressed by commentators, health professionals and community members about the use of khat in the UK, particularly by immigrants from Somalia, Yemen and Ethiopia, currently it is not a controlled substance.

As a result of these concerns, the Home Office commissioned successive research studies to look into the matter, and in 2005, presented the question of khat's legal status before the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. After a review of the evidence, the expert committee recommended in January 2006 that the status of khat as a legal substance should remain for the time being.

In 2008, Conservative politician Sayeeda Warsi stated that a future Conservative government would ban khat. The website of the Conservative Party, which is now the largest party in a coalition government in the UK, previously stated that a Conservative government would "Tackle unacceptable cultural practices by", amongst other measures, "classifying Khat". In 2009, the Home Office commissioned two new studies in the effects of khat use and in June 2010, a Home Office spokesperson stated: "The Government is committed to addressing any form of substance misuse and will keep the issue of khat use under close scrutiny".

Because it is legal in the UK, and because of khat's short shelf life, Britain serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.
During a debate on the legality on the 11 January 2012, UK Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes Mark Lancaster, Conservative, stated importation of Khat into the UK stands at 10 tonnes every week.

Last edited by Neil; 16-09-2012 at 06:30.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:21   #424
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Stupid in my opinion, explaining on a forum, how to obtain n use.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:25   #425
Senior Member+

After watching the documentary on beeb about "legal highs" I think they are also a serious problem. People ingesting bath salts to get high and such. ugh
Old 02-09-2012, 14:28   #426
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Stupid in my opinion, explaining on a forum, how to obtain n use.
No one's forcing you to buy and use it, just as no one's forcing you to buy a pint of beer or a packet of fags...
Old 02-09-2012, 14:31   #427
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Seems like the drug of choice, Kes, according to this graph... but perhaps not legal for too much longer if the Tories have their way...

((From Wikipedia) Although concerns have been expressed by commentators, health professionals and community members about the use of khat in the UK, particularly by immigrants from Somalia, Yemen and Ethiopia, currently it is not a controlled substance.

As a result of these concerns, the Home Office commissioned successive research studies to look into the matter, and in 2005, presented the question of khat's legal status before the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. After a review of the evidence, the expert committee recommended in January 2006 that the status of khat as a legal substance should remain for the time being.

In 2008, Conservative politician Sayeeda Warsi stated that a future Conservative government would ban khat. The website of the Conservative Party, which is now the largest party in a coalition government in the UK, previously stated that a Conservative government would "Tackle unacceptable cultural practices by", amongst other measures, "classifying Khat". In 2009, the Home Office commissioned two new studies in the effects of khat use and in June 2010, a Home Office spokesperson stated: "The Government is committed to addressing any form of substance misuse and will keep the issue of khat use under close scrutiny".

Because it is legal in the UK, and because of khat's short shelf life, Britain serves as a main gateway for khat being sent by air to North America.
During a debate on the legality on the 11 January 2012, UK Member of Parliament for Milton Keynes Mark Lancaster, Conservative, stated importation of Khat into the UK stands at 10 tonnes every week.
Mmm well thanks for that Sue, probaly reason why it's been legal so long is that it's used by those people from Somalia and Yemen etc and is not the kind of thing that would appeal to British people for a social drug. Because it takes ages to chew and is quite a bad taste, also can't drink alcohol on it, kids in the UK just wouldn't take to this. 2 hours of chewing to get a high. It suits the ethnics because it's a social custom to sit round chewing it - but would not suit British Cultural social etiquette.

Also it can't be distilled or the main component extracted. It goes off radpidly and has to be consumed within 48hours after picking. It is flown over here in refrigerated planes and it's potency deteriorates rapidly.

Last edited by kestrelx; 02-09-2012 at 14:33.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:31   #428
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
No one's forcing you to buy and use it, just as no one's forcing you to buy a pint of beer or a packet of fags...
Obviously but still if you think that showing kids the way is ok, yer entitled to.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:36   #429
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Mmm well thanks for that Sue, probaly reason why it's been legal so long is that it's used by those people from Somalia and Yemen etc and is not the kind of thing that would appeal to British people for a social drug. Because it takes ages to chew and is quite a bad taste, also can't drink alcohol on it, kids in the UK just wouldn't take to this. 2 hours of chewing to get a high. It suits the ethnics because it's a social custom to sit round chewing it - but would not suit British Cultural social etiquette.
Pity - it actually sounds quite civilised - like the Arabs and their hookahs in cafes.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:43   #430
Senior Member+

Perhaps all drugs(alcohol included of course) related threads should be moved to 18+
Old 02-09-2012, 14:43   #431
Senior Member+

Quote:
Pity - it actually sounds quite civilised - like the Arabs and their hookahs in cafes.
There is one near me, they are in their all day chewing the stuff.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:45   #432
Senior Member+

I think i will stick to my whiskey thank you
Old 02-09-2012, 14:50   #433
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think i will stick to my whiskey thank you
Irish, I presume?
Old 02-09-2012, 15:11   #434
Senior Member+

Because of the spelling?

I like Bushmills Irish whiskey. But. I prefer American whiskies. My favourite at the moment is Jim Beam Red Stagg. It is a black cherry infused whiskey. Goes down a treat Expensive though; when not on special offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Irish, I presume?
Old 02-09-2012, 15:13   #435
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because of the spelling?

I like Bushmills Irish whiskey. But. I prefer American whiskies. My favourite at the moment is Jim Beam Red Stagg. It is a black cherry infused whiskey. Goes down a treat Expensive though; when not on special offer.
"black cherry infused whisky"? Gordon Bennett, Mr R! Think I'll stick with me Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..