Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:07   #691

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Bubble was made illegal earlier this year? or last year? Its dangerous stuff. Im glad they made it illegal.
Do we then make everything dangerous illegal?
Let's see:
drugs
smoking
alchohol
bad driving
bungee jumping
boxing (most contact sports)
crossing the road
mountain climbing
pot holing
The list goes on forever.
It is a lifestyle choice and as long as people know the risks it should be down to them. Making lifestyle choices illegal is like censorship, you can always make up your own mind without someone having to make it up for you.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25   #692
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Let's see:
drugs
smoking
alchohol
bad driving
bungee jumping
crossing the road
mountain climbing
pot holing
It is a lifestyle choice and as long as people know the risks it should be down to them. Making lifestyle choices illegal is like censorship, you can always make up your own mind without someone having to make it up for you.
Someone else has made a similar post before, a very valid point the first time around now we are just going around in circles, why?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49   #693
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Let's see:
drugs
smoking
alchohol
bad driving
bungee jumping
crossing the road
mountain climbing
pot holing
You forgot -

Rape.
Murder.
Kiddy fiddlin'.

As long as people know the risks, all should be a legal lifestyle choice.

To suggest otherwise is an outrageous attack on decent peoples' civil liberties.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:13   #694
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Let's see:
drugs
smoking
alcohol
bad driving
bungee jumping
crossing the road
mountain climbing
pot holing
Hell wouldn't want to live in your world, the only problem there is lifestyle choice usually ends up costing society dear already god knows what it would be like in your world, maybe you'd be better of emigrating to the outer Mongolia
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22   #695
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Let's see:

bad driving
I'm sure there'll be at least one person who agrees with you, Mohammed Ibrahim, if no one else does.

East Lancashire dad continues battle to deport death driver (From Lancashire Telegraph)

He has rights, and should be free to carry on with his lifestyle choices, unhindered by any silly laws.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:23   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You forgot -

Rape.
Murder.
Kiddy fiddlin'.

To suggest otherwise is an outrageous attack on decent peoples' civil liberties.

Not an argument, Garinda. Yours is a list of crimes against others, mine was a list of things that people do which are of no danger to anyone other than themselves, unless you subscribe to the argument that all drug users (for instance) are a danger to others, which of course the vast majority are not.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Hell wouldn't want to live in your world, the only problem there is lifestyle choice usually ends up costing society dear already god knows what it would be like in your world, maybe you'd be better of emigrating to the outer Mongolia
Drug use is, or at least can be, dangerous, I've never said otherwise, but so are all the other things in the list I posted. Would you ban alcohol as well, or is that okay because it has become socially acceptable over the years. Alcohol has been guilty of bringing about far more misery over the years than drugs (violence, anti social behaviour and even family poverty and other problems). I don't smoke and never have but I don't go clambering for it to be banned, even before the ban in public places stopped it being rammed down my throat. We cannot go banning things just because we don't personally like them, we just stay away from them (a bit like turning the tv over if you don't like the programme).
Old 12-09-2012, 12:51   #698
Senior Member+

Quote:
Drug use is, or at least can be, dangerous, I've never said otherwise, but so are all the other things in the list I posted. Would you ban alcohol as well, or is that okay because it has become socially acceptable over the years. Alcohol has been guilty of bringing about far more misery over the years than drugs (violence, anti social behaviour and even family poverty and other problems). I don't smoke and never have but I don't go clambering for it to be banned, even before the ban in public places stopped it being rammed down my throat. We cannot go banning things just because we don't personally like them, we just stay away from them (a bit like turning the tv over if you don't like the programme).
A couple of very good points there Houseboy - I've made similar points on the daddy of this thread...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugs-55943.html

Using drugs itself is a personal choice. As you say, there is no similarity at all to child abuse, murder or rape which are all violations of others rights ( the point made by Garinda).

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-09-2012 at 12:57.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:06   #699
Senior Member+

Quote:
You forgot -

Rape.
Murder.
Kiddy fiddlin'.

There is no similarity to taking drugs and the 3 crimes you mention. These are abusing peoples lives and taking away their rights.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:10   #700
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
A couple of very good points there Houseboy - I've made similar points on the daddy of this thread...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugs-55943.html

Using drugs itself is a personal choice. As you say, there is no similarity at all to child abuse, murder or rape which are all violations of others rights ( the point made by Garinda).
How do you know that somewhere down the production -supply chain some child or adult was not abused or raped, mistreated or murdered because of the money involved in this illegal trade? How can you ignore how much misery there is because of this whole business in the poor countries where they are produced, where many people have no choice but to be forced into slave labour or transporting these drugs just so that they can be available for people in the West to have a full range of "lifestyle choices".

What I really find sad is that so many people seem to need to smash their senses and their brains, ending up wrecked and having no good sensations at the end of the day. It is always the simpler things in life that bring the greatest sensory pleasures -don't forget that. Decent food and company, a walk in the countryside, time spent with people you love...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2012, 13:37   #701
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Decent food and company = Making Marijuana cakes together.
a walk in the countryside = picking magic mushrooms.
time spent with people you love... = wow I really love you man but, don't Bogart that Joint.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:40   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
How do you know that somewhere down the production -supply chain some child or adult was not abused or raped, mistreated or murdered because of the money involved in this illegal trade? How can you ignore how much misery there is because of this whole business in the poor countries where they are produced, where many people have no choice but to be forced into slave labour or transporting these drugs just so that they can be available for people in the West to have a full range of "lifestyle choices".
200 people died yesterday in Pakistan, working in a sweat shop producing clothes that were almost certainly bound for the West. There were no fire exits and the windows, apparently, were barred. I don't suppose anyone will be wanting to ban cheap clothes though.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:42   #703
Give, give, give member

Unhappy Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
mine was a list of things that people do which are of no danger to anyone other than themselves
Er...no, it wasn't, unless you've forgotten already.

It quite clearly states on your list 'bad driving'.

Quote:

Let's see:

bad driving
Somewhat disturbingly, even more so than your appalling memory, you also posted that the your list of 'lifestyle' choices 'goes on forever', of things you'd prefer were legal to do, so as not to impede anyone's free choice.

Quote:

Old 12-09-2012, 13:48   #704

Quote:
Er...no, it wasn't, unless you've forgotten already.

It quite clearly states on your list 'bad driving'.

Somewhat disturbingly, even more so than your appalling memory, you also posted that the your list of 'lifestyle' choices 'goes on forever', of things you'd prefer were legal to do, so as not to impede anyone's free choice.
Bad driving, not dangerous driving. Most people are bad drivers, just that some are worse than others. Is that the only thing you could come up with? Twice? You really are slipping behind aren't you?
Old 12-09-2012, 13:55   #705
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
There is no similarity to taking drugs and the 3 crimes you mention. These are abusing peoples lives and taking away their rights.
Would you believe I actually agree?

Which is why I used them to illustrate the stupidty of a list of supposed victimless 'lifestyle choices' which included bad driving.

My there's no pulling the wool over your eyes, is there?

Sharp as a pin.

(Considers starting yet one more recreational drugs poll in light of recently published findings, asking at what age the thankfully small minority first started smoking cannabis, so we can best judge for ourselves if there's any evidence on the forum that early use causes the most long term damage to a person's intelligence.)

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..