Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 13:56   #706
God Member

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
200 people died yesterday in Pakistan, working in a sweat shop producing clothes that were almost certainly bound for the West. There were no fire exits and the windows, apparently, were barred. I don't suppose anyone will be wanting to ban cheap clothes though.
Actually you'd be surprised -there have been a great number of campaigns trying to stop child labour, especially -spear-headed by companies like Benetton in Italy and Nike among others...

Personally I don't buy "cheap" clothing -I was brought up to save and buy the best quality I could afford (my mother's philosophy handed down to her by hers) -I also try to buy home-grown or at least EU products.

In any case it does not justify the treatment many suffer at the hands of those involved in the drugs trade -from producer to consumer...you just have to look at certain areas of Mexico/Colombia for example to get an idea.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2012, 14:00   #707
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Bad driving, not dangerous driving. Most people are bad drivers, just that some are worse than others. Is that the only thing you could come up with? Twice? You really are slipping behind aren't you?

You really aren't worth the bother, when all you can come up with is utter gibberish.

'Bad driving' should be a perfectly legal thing to do, because it's a 'lifestyle choice'?

Dangerous driving should remain illegal.

Er...all 'bad driving' is potentially dangerous.

Ask the parent of any dead kid, who lost their beloved child because of some idiot's bad driving.

You really are one sorry soul.

Almost amusing, it it wasn't so pitiful.

Old 12-09-2012, 14:06   #708
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I may be a bad driver, I don't know, if I am, was it a lifestyle choice?
No it wasn't.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:06   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Actually you'd be surprised -there have been a great number of campaigns trying to stop child labour, especially -spear-headed by companies like Benetton in Italy and Nike among others...

Personally I don't buy "cheap" clothing -I was brought up to save and buy the best quality I could afford (my mother's philosophy handed down to her by hers) -I also try to buy home-grown or at least EU products.

In any case it does not justify the treatment many suffer at the hands of those involved in the drugs trade -from producer to consumer...you just have to look at certain areas of Mexico/Colombia for example to get an idea.
Point taken. However even if most people don't buy cheap clothes a lot rely on them to be able to clothe themselves and their children. It may only be a minority who buy them but it is only a minority of people who use drugs also.
It would be interesting to see (although I doubt we could ever get the figures given the nature of the beast) which industry "employed" more, drugs or sweatshops.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:06   #710
Give, give, give member

Quote:
200 people died yesterday in Pakistan, working in a sweat shop producing clothes that were almost certainly bound for the West. There were no fire exits and the windows, apparently, were barred. I don't suppose anyone will be wanting to ban cheap clothes though.
No work today?

Thought you were busy, busy, busy in the daytimes, to waste your valuable time on here?

Your employer given you time off, to share your great wisdom with your friends on Accy Web?

Old 12-09-2012, 14:09   #711
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Exactly.

Perhaps some don't see very much of reality, because of the hazy fog they must sadly live in.

Old 12-09-2012, 14:13   #712
God Member

Quote:
Point taken. However even if most people don't buy cheap clothes a lot rely on them to be able to clothe themselves and their children. It may only be a minority who buy them but it is only a minority of people who use drugs also.
It would be interesting to see (although I doubt we could ever get the figures given the nature of the beast) which industry "employed" more, drugs or sweatshops.
I think the problem is that a lot of people do buy cheap clothes and cheap everything in the consumer-mad world, somehow thinking they have more -but you get what you pay for and tat is tat. 5 cheap and nasty synthetic shirts for the price of one decently made cotton one which will last years if washed properly -I know which I'd choose.

Drugs are also tat -buy yourself a decent bottle of wine and taste it -you don't need to get drunk to appreciate alcohol. A nice bar of proper chocolate is a joy for the senses, as is a bowl of fresh home-made soup...it's down to choice of lifestyle, but here I mean real choice.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2012, 14:14   #713
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I may be a bad driver, I don't know, if I am, was it a lifestyle choice?
No it wasn't.
It's my lifestyle choice just to be bad, period.

Thankfully the law allows me to carry on, along my chosen path.

Old 12-09-2012, 14:15   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Dangerous driving should remain illegal.

Do you actually read anything before putting your foot in it. Of course dangerous driving should be illegal. Where have I said otherwise? I said most people are bad drivers (not necessarily dangerous). Next time you comment on a post of mine try doing so without copying and pasting things out of context.
You must really love my posts. If you thought they were "gibberish" I would have thought that (like me) you wouldn't bother with them.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:17   #715

Quote:
No work today?

Thought you were busy, busy, busy in the daytimes, to waste your valuable time on here?

Your employer given you time off, to share your great wisdom with your friends on Accy Web?

I am my own employer.
Why do you post a quote and then not take the time to respond? just a thought.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:19   #716
Give, give, give member

I'll just take a moment to show another act of kindness, because I know for some it can take a while for things to register.

Give, give, give.

The argument that recreational drugs should be legalised will NEVER be won on Accy Web.

This is the wrong forum, if you think think otherwise.

Old 12-09-2012, 14:19   #717

Quote:
I think the problem is that a lot of people do buy cheap clothes and cheap everything in the consumer-mad world, somehow thinking they have more -but you get what you pay for and tat is tat. 5 cheap and nasty synthetic shirts for the price of one decently made cotton one which will last years if washed properly -I know which I'd choose.

Drugs are also tat -buy yourself a decent bottle of wine and taste it -you don't need to get drunk to appreciate alcohol. A nice bar of proper chocolate is a joy for the senses, as is a bowl of fresh home-made soup...it's down to choice of lifestyle, but here I mean real choice.
Can't argue with a lot of that. Especially the bit about good wine (I must admit to getting drunk off it as well though).
Old 12-09-2012, 14:22   #718
Beacon of light

Quote:

I think that some people do not have the luxury of the choice of expensive clothes....and have to buy whatever their budget will allow.

School clothes - uniform for instance, can be very expensive and even when you pay the top price the quality still isn't so crash hot.
Also children grow so quickly. My daughter bought her little girl some school skirts just as the school holidays began,thinking she would save time and effort during what was to be a busy time for her........only to find the skirts are too short, because her daughter has had a growth spurt - must be the sun and sea air.

I don't know about Italy, but it is difficult to buy clothes that are made in the EU...everything seems to come from China.
I bought myself a pair of M&S sandals - not cheap - found they had been made in Vietnam.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:23   #719
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Decent food and company = Making Marijuana cakes together.
a walk in the countryside = picking magic mushrooms.
time spent with people you love... = wow I really love you man but, don't Bogart that Joint.
Your obviously well versed with the drug world Less - obviously an ex-user.
Old 12-09-2012, 14:26   #720

Quote:
I'll just take a moment to show another act of kindness, because I know for some it can take a while for things to register.

Give, give, give.

The argument that recreational drugs should be legalised will NEVER be won on Accy Web.

This is the wrong forum, if you think think otherwise.

Is that because you say so? If it's the wrong forum why did you ask the question in the first place? I find it strange that someone would start a thread on a forum that was completely wrong for the topic. What a bizarre person you seem to be.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..