Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 22:07   #766
God Member

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Most peoples attitude about drugs, in my view is blinkered and based on fear and misinformation by papers like the Sun! Who today by the way have been disgraced by the fact they published lies and slander about the football fans who were killed in the Hillsborough Disaster.

This indicates this newspaper will publish lies and inaccuracy in order to sway peoples opinions and back the Police, as they did in this case.

Most people are not bothered about forensic evidence that many people who it is claimed, by papers like the Sun, were killed by specific drugs, when they weren't - or killed by alcohol etc etc.

There is a debate and fact is making drugs illegal causes more damage/ harm in the long run.
The fact is that most people don't need drugs to make them feel good -there are so many other things that can do this without wrecking the brain and body. Take pleasure in the simple things that modern life seems to exclude.

For example: You love making music and watching wild-life -do it and take pleasure in that and find others who like the same things -we all need contact with like-minded folk. At the end of the day that's what it's all about -not smoking or assuming in some other way something which will supress your senses and take away the things and people you care about...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2012, 22:10   #767
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
It's a catch 22 situation, a moral dilemma.
There's always naturism, but the weather in the U.K. doesn't make that an easy option.

Not a dilemma we had way back when, living in Eden.

Well not until Eve pigged out on fruit, and Adam started snorting the garden floor.

Old 12-09-2012, 22:14   #768
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's always naturism, but the weather in the U.K. doesn't make that an easy option.

Not a dilemma we had way back when, living in Eden.

Well not until Eve pigged out on fruit, and Adam started snorting the garden floor.

Lets get back to reality - or are you on drugs?

There was no such person as Eve nor Adam! No proof you are believing fantasy here.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:15   #769
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Most peoples attitude about drugs, in my view is blinkered and based on fear and misinformation by papers like the Sun!
Mine aren't.

Just count it lucky I'm here, to counterbalance that view for you.

Old 12-09-2012, 22:17   #770
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The fact is that most people don't need drugs to make them feel good -there are so many other things that can do this without wrecking the brain and body. Take pleasure in the simple things that modern life seems to exclude.

For example: You love making music and watching wild-life -do it and take pleasure in that and find others who like the same things -we all need contact with like-minded folk. At the end of the day that's what it's all about -not smoking or assuming in some other way something which will supress your senses and take away the things and people you care about...
Don't you think you could be being Naive? A lot of these kids on the housing estates are trying to escape the rough deal their parents have landed them in!

I don't take drugs - only the ones I get on prescription! Nor do I smoke.

I bet you drink wine don't you - that is a drug and I bet you use it to lift your spirits at the end of a hard day?

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-09-2012 at 22:21.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:25   #771

There are lots of reasons why people use drugs/substances both legal and illegal, myself included regarding alcohol and cigarettes (and cake and chocolate to an extent in my case!). In the main they are used to self medicate as a way of escaping from reality to a larger or lesser extent - people tend to say they are a means of relaxation, but this tends to be another name for escapism. I know that after a stressful day at work I like nothing more than a trip to the pub on the way home or to open a good bottle of red wine when I get home. But none of this means that illegal drugs should be legalised, there would be no benefit to either society or to the individual - if drugs were legalised the government would tax them to the hilt and make them unaffordable to most people, the police would be unable to prosecute which would affect the economy. By this I mean that the police, prison and legal system would have less business, the people who support them would have nothing to do, drugs agencies would decline, the health service would not need so many drugs related staff, and also the infrastructure who build rehab units, supply alternative medication, and even things like catering for their needs would suffer. The country cannot afford the legalisation of illegal substances!
Old 12-09-2012, 22:28   #772

Quote:
Lets get back to reality - or are you on drugs?

There was no such person as Eve nor Adam! No proof you are believing fantasy here.
Oh No! I bet you don't believe in Father Christmas either!
Old 12-09-2012, 22:28   #773
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There was no such person as Eve nor Adam!
Get out of the (gene) pool!

Like no way dude!

They sure must have had one bad trip, to think that crazy ass stuff up.

Far out!

There was still like Adam's son, Jesus?

That dude was real, right?

'Cause I can still here that nigga.

Yo, crack head, go out in the hood 'n' take out some down 'n' dirty 'ho's.

That dude's still real?

Right on.

Old 12-09-2012, 22:33   #774
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh No! I bet you don't believe in Father Christmas either!
Some need religion.

Others opium.

Both are there to fill some hole.

Old 12-09-2012, 22:36   #775
God Member

Quote:
Don't you think you could be being Naive? A lot of these kids on the housing estates are trying to escape the rough deal their parents have landed them in!

I don't take drugs - only the ones I get on prescription! Nor do I smoke.

I bet you drink wine don't you - that is a drug and I bet you use it to lift your spirits at the end of a hard day?
I am very naive -always have been and always will be, I don't deny it -I am not and never will be "street-wise". Read yesterday about something called "bubble" here -thought it was that pink stuff we used to blow into and then pop.

I was brought up to do my best and that is what I've always done. There are opportunities for young people if they work hard and try to better themselves -we all have our talents and strong points -just have to find what they are and make the most.

My mother told me recently that one of her most successful students was one of the worst she'd ever had at school academically. He has worked hard and set up a transport business which has had great success -he now has a Villa in the place where she lives in Tenerife which is worth 10 times what she and my dad could afford after a lifetime of hard work. He said to her -"I weren't much good at school but I know how to work hard and I married someone who could do the accounting..."

As to my drinking wine -why yes, but I don't get plastered even though we bottle our own and it costs 2 euros a litre -it's good stuff too!

Have just finished a cup of tea -if you really want to know...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2012, 22:36   #776
Senior Member+

Quote:
Get out of the (gene) pool!

Like no way dude!

They sure must have had one bad trip, to think that crazy ass stuff up.

Far out!

There was still like Adam's son, Jesus?

That dude was real, right?

'Cause I can still here that nigga.

Yo, crack head, go out in the hood 'n' take out some down 'n' dirty 'ho's.

That dude's still real?

Right on.

And you said my clones post was gibberish.

Last edited by Restless; 12-09-2012 at 22:38.
Old 12-09-2012, 22:40   #777
Senior Member+

What do you fill your hole with?

Quote:
Some need religion.
Others opium.
Both are there to fill some hole.
NO! Wait don't answer that
Old 12-09-2012, 22:43   #778
God Member

Quote:
There are lots of reasons why people use drugs/substances both legal and illegal, myself included regarding alcohol and cigarettes (and cake and chocolate to an extent in my case!). In the main they are used to self medicate as a way of escaping from reality to a larger or lesser extent - people tend to say they are a means of relaxation, but this tends to be another name for escapism. I know that after a stressful day at work I like nothing more than a trip to the pub on the way home or to open a good bottle of red wine when I get home. But none of this means that illegal drugs should be legalised, there would be no benefit to either society or to the individual - if drugs were legalised the government would tax them to the hilt and make them unaffordable to most people, the police would be unable to prosecute which would affect the economy. By this I mean that the police, prison and legal system would have less business, the people who support them would have nothing to do, drugs agencies would decline, the health service would not need so many drugs related staff, and also the infrastructure who build rehab units, supply alternative medication, and even things like catering for their needs would suffer. The country cannot afford the legalisation of illegal substances!
Agree with much of what you say here, Anne, but how can you legalise substances which impair people's judgement. How would you regulate driving licences for example - if someone was a "user" of something that was legalised could you let them drive their own car or a works vehicle -what if they had an accident because their senses were impaired...if they wer driving a school bus -how would you proceed in the case of the death of a young passenger, or if they smashed into a car at high speed carrying 2 young parents whose children are now orphaned? This happened here in Cremona on Sunday evening -thank-god the grand-parents offered to keep the children that evening and let the parents have a (last) night out alone...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 12-09-2012, 22:47   #779
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
And you said my clones post was gibberish.
Jeez, you thought my stoned speak was gibberish?

Thanks.

Job well done.

Wait until l post trippy.

That'll blow your mind.

Old 12-09-2012, 22:52   #780
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
What do you fill your hole with?
I'm lucky.

I can self-medicate.

Plus determination helps.

Heal thy self.

Whoosh.

All good.

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..