Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2012, 09:30   #16
Senior Member+

Re: East Lancashire health and lifestyle survey from the NHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The think that annoys me more than anything is, although I haven't received one, yet I can't honestly believe the necessity. The last time I was in Hospital (2009) the sister had to complete a questionnaire on admittance which took around 15 minutes, plus at around the same time the ambulance drivers started to fill in forms, in triplicate, for patients being transported using oxygen, that was both journey's, but on my last trip it seems that's been stopped, what patients want is less red tape not more, but of course that would mean fewer pen pushers and we can't have that can we
Totally agree with you there John, there are too many pen pushers and adminstrators now in hospitals. The last time I got the doc out to my mother he said dial 999 and get her in. Every different person she saw she was asked the same questions.They should get on with caring for patients not keep filling in forms.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2012, 09:39   #17
Beacon of light

This issue isn't about Nurses filling in paperwork. It is about some expensive consultancy, performing a costly survey, that will probably not be acted on anyway.
Money being spent on the wrong things......in my book that is waste.
It is money that could be deployed at the 'coal face' where more hands would be welcome and make patient lives easier, more comfortable...aiding their recovery.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:45   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This issue isn't about Nurses filling in paperwork. It is about some expensive consultancy, performing a costly survey, that will probably not be acted on anyway.
Money being spent on the wrong things......in my book that is waste.
It is money that could be deployed at the 'coal face' where more hands would be welcome and make patient lives easier, more comfortable...aiding their recovery.
The thing that annoyed me more than anything Margaret, was the fact that the Ward Sister had to send her valuable time asking me questions such as "are you able to make yourself a cup of tea when your at home" what the hell as that got to do with hospital treatment, surely those are the things that should be down to Social Workers not Ward Sisters
Old 31-05-2012, 09:48   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Totally agree with you there John, there are too many pen pushers and adminstrators now in hospitals. The last time I got the doc out to my mother he said dial 999 and get her in. Every different person she saw she was asked the same questions.They should get on with caring for patients not keep filling in forms.
The number of people who walk about hospitals with pieces of paper in their hand or a clipboard is unbelievable, I've said before that when I'm in hospital I play that age old game, spot the clipboard, got up to 27 one day
Old 31-05-2012, 09:52   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
The number of people who walk about hospitals with pieces of paper in their hand or a clipboard is unbelievable, I've said before that when I'm in hospital I play that age old game, spot the clipboard, got up to 27 one day
Can anyone beat that? Replies please to Accyweb.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:10   #21
Resting In Peace

I would rather they took my details every five minutes in hospital than miss something vital such as an allergy that may cause problems later on.

Reading the posts on here it would seem that there might be more than one questionnaire going the rounds. MargR and MargP have had one, both ladies of a certain age, yet Garinda was told he is too young to respond. Then Restless says he has had one yet he is younger than Garinda. Unless they sent out the same questionnaire without checking whether the recipients were part of the target audience - now that really would be a waste of resources.

Last edited by susie123; 31-05-2012 at 10:15.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:16   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
The thing that annoyed me more than anything Margaret, was the fact that the Ward Sister had to send her valuable time asking me questions such as "are you able to make yourself a cup of tea when your at home" what the hell as that got to do with hospital treatment, surely those are the things that should be down to Social Workers not Ward Sisters
These questions that the Sister asked you were important, in that they allow for discharge planning. The staff need to identify possible social/problems in the home early, in order to alert social/homecare services, so that your dischrage home is not delayed by the late identification of situations that would make it unsafe to send you home.
This is done on admission because patients are having much shorter stays in hospital.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:20   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
These questions that the Sister asked you were important, in that they allow for discharge planning. The staff need to identify possible social/problems in the home early, in order to alert social/homecare services, so that your dischrage home is not delayed by the late identification of situations that would make it unsafe to send you home.
This is done on admission because patients are having much shorter stays in hospital.
It's good to have someone who has worked at the coalface who is able to fill us in on these details. Thanks Margaret.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:20   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I would rather they took my details every five minutes in hospital than miss something vital such as an allergy that may cause problems later on.

Reading the posts on here it would seem that there might be more than one questionnaire going the rounds. MargR and MargP have had one, both ladies of a certain age, yet Garinda was told he is too young to respond. Then Restless says he has had one yet he is younger than Garinda. Unless they sent out the same questionnaire without checking whether the recipients were part of the target audience - now that really would be a waste of resources.
When the interviewer came to see me, one of the things he said to me was 'I bet most people in this street would be glad to have a chance to influence future care'
I politely suggested that he go and ask one of them instead of me.
He told me that this wasn't permitted as these were random address selections, done by the computer, to pick out a variety of households - it wasn't age, gender, or health specific.
He also said that the survey results would be compromised by my non compliance.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:22   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
When the interviewer came to see me, one of the things he said to me was 'I bet most people in this street would be glad to have a chance to influence future care'
I politely suggested that he go and ask one of them instead of me.
He told me that this wasn't permitted as these were random address selections, done by the computer, to pick out a variety of households - it wasn't age, gender, or health specific.
He also said that the survey results would be compromised by my non compliance.
So why was Garinda told that he was too young?
Old 31-05-2012, 10:26   #26
Beacon of light

Quote:
It's good to have someone who has worked at the coalface who is able to fill us in on these details. Thanks Margaret.
You are welcome.
I ran a pre-op clinic once a week, and we did all these questions at that visit - which was a week to 10 days before the patient was due to be admitted.

This gave us a good amount of time to identify potential problems that might delay discharge, and put interventions into place(sometimes these were organised before the patient had even been admitted).
At the pre-op clinic, patients were told when they would come in, and when they would go home(barring any problems of course). Helpful to both patient and the staff. We were able to maximise the use of our beds in this way.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:26   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Probably they didn't like saying he was ugly?
Old 31-05-2012, 10:27   #28
Beacon of light

Quote:
I can't answer that one Sue - just telling you the info that our interviewer told me.
Old 31-05-2012, 11:06   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You are welcome.
I ran a pre-op clinic once a week, and we did all these questions at that visit - which was a week to 10 days before the patient was due to be admitted.

This gave us a good amount of time to identify potential problems that might delay discharge, and put interventions into place(sometimes these were organised before the patient had even been admitted).
At the pre-op clinic, patients were told when they would come in, and when they would go home(barring any problems of course). Helpful to both patient and the staff. We were able to maximise the use of our beds in this way.
That is all so obvious and common sense when you think about it.

I found this online if anyone is interested.

www.cph.org.uk/showPublication.aspx?pubid=286
Old 31-05-2012, 11:24   #30
God Member

Quote:
He hacked into their database and changed his DOB from 40 way back in the 1980's.

He should never have had the portrait done in the first place -i do hope he has it under lock and key in his attic -wouldn't want anyone to catch sight of him as he really is...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..