Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 22:10   #16
God Member

Re: High's and Low's of the Diamond Jubilee!?

Just watching the highlights and got to say the choir at the end of the floatilla must be one of the best bits. Absolutely soaked yet sang their hearts out, amazing good on the lot of you
Old 05-06-2012, 22:21   #17

I wish Elton John would learn to enunciate. I could barely make out the words of the songs he was singing. It just sounded like grunting. And as for Paul McCartney, he was struggling to reach the high notes.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:29   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Just watching the highlights and got to say the choir at the end of the floatilla must be one of the best bits. Absolutely soaked yet sang their hearts out, amazing good on the lot of you
Yes, and I wish the BBC would have shown us the musicians on the other barges too, but no we had to have the endless presenter waffle instead.
Old 05-06-2012, 22:41   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I wish Elton John would learn to enunciate. I could barely make out the words of the songs he was singing. It just sounded like grunting. And as for Paul McCartney, he was struggling to reach the high notes.
Elton John took part?

I thought it was Shirley MacLaine, who was playing the piano.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
the lows for me where people putting their Union Jack up the wrong bloody way...simple fools
as i explained it was a printing error at the Y-front factory and i cant do handstands

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:48   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
An high for me was the Queen's smile on the balcony today. I am by no means a Royalist, but I found it somewhat touching.
Not only the smile, but the look on her face as she watched the Spitfires, the Hurricane, and the Lanc fly over ... the CBC had great coverage of all the events, and there were interviews with many of the thousands from all over Canada who attended ... The Queen enjoys immense popularity over here, and Chuck had a warm reception wherever he went ... although, he didn't go to Quebec. However, Will and Kate had a great reception there when they were over last year. I wonder how many elected heads of state have the approval rating that Her Majesty has?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37   #22
Resting in Peace

The High Point for me was this morning knowing it was all over, the Low was when it started on Saturday and I'm not anti Royal at all, too much TV with very poor presenters
Old 06-06-2012, 17:35   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The low - the pathetic concert. The inane commentaries from the BBC presenters
The high - the flotilla and the people who waited in the rain to catch a glimpse of the Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yes, and I wish the BBC would have shown us the musicians on the other barges too, but no we had to have the endless presenter waffle instead.
Seems like we were not alone in our disapointment athe BBC coverage, Margaret. They received over 2000 complaints.

BBC News - Jubilee coverage: BBC receives more than 2,000 complaints

And I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with this comment - and I shouted as much at the TV at the time, when whoever it was came out with it.

Even the BBC's former Royal Correspondent Michael Cole joined the criticism, saying the presenters were under-prepared.
"I think it's outrageous when you hear a person who's been paid to be a commentator refer to Her Majesty The Queen as Her Royal Highness," he said.
"No preparation, no homework. There was no gravitas. I don't remember one memorable phrase or evocative expression."
Old 06-06-2012, 17:43   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Seems like we were not alone in our disapointment athe BBC coverage, Margaret. They received over 2000 complaints.

BBC News - Jubilee coverage: BBC receives more than 2,000 complaints

And I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with this comment - and I shouted as much at the TV at the time, when whoever it was came out with it.

Even the BBC's former Royal Correspondent Michael Cole joined the criticism, saying the presenters were under-prepared.
"I think it's outrageous when you hear a person who's been paid to be a commentator refer to Her Majesty The Queen as Her Royal Highness," he said.
"No preparation, no homework. There was no gravitas. I don't remember one memorable phrase or evocative expression."
It seems one of the main complaints was about Fern Cotton, with a sick bag, with a picture of Her Maj on it, they've got some real stick over that, who the hell decided to run with that stupid piece of television
Old 06-06-2012, 22:36   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Now it's all over what was your high and low of the Diamond Jubilee?

My high was Madness performing on the roof of the Palace.

My low was most of the rest of it!
Madness singing- "MY house " on the roof of Buck. Palace was truly MAD -have to agree....wrote it on another thread here, as it happened.

Didn't see it all as my son came in and changed channel.

Loved Her Maj's outfits -throughout the whole jubliee jamboree -epecially though the gold and diamond outifts of the concert and Pall Mall finaleé.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Madness singing- "MY house " on the roof of Buck. Palace was truly MAD -have to agree....wrote it on another thread here, as it happened.

Didn't see it all as my son came in and changed channel.

Loved Her Maj's outfits -throughout the whole jubliee jamboree -epecially though the gold and diamond outifts of the concert and Pall Mall finaleé.
They did two songs - "It must be Love" the 2nd one was edited out of the program showed the day after the concert. They should have done their version of Swan Lake!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 17:43   #27
Senior Member+

Not a clue as I didn't see any of it, thankfully!
Old 07-06-2012, 20:08   #28
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Enjoyed it all, think it has been a great few days
me too Bernie,,
Old 07-06-2012, 21:16   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
me too Bernie,,
Me too, hon ... it was great to see the crowds gathered to express their admiration for the Queen of Canada. And you never know, she could have another 15 years as Queen.

Unless you are born here, there is still only one way to become a Canadian citizen. It goes something like this: "I swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

There always have been, and still are strong ties between Britain and Canada. During WWll Canada gave $3.5 billon to Britain, and after the war, a long term loan of $1.2 billion. This was finally repaid in 2006. And one should also remember the support given to the war effort by the RCAF, The Royal Canadian Navy (which, by the end of the war was the world's third largest), the Candians sacrificed at Dieppe, and the 3rd Canadian Division who landed at Juno Beach on D-Day. Sharing a Head of State serves to maintain the close realtionship between the two countries.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Me too, hon ... it was great to see the crowds gathered to express their admiration for the Queen of Canada. And you never know, she could have another 15 years as Queen.

Unless you are born here, there is still only one way to become a Canadian citizen. It goes something like this: "I swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

There always have been, and still are strong ties between Britain and Canada. During WWll Canada gave $3.5 billon to Britain, and after the war, a long term loan of $1.2 billion. This was finally repaid in 2006. And one should also remember the support given to the war effort by the RCAF, The Royal Canadian Navy (which, by the end of the war was the world's third largest), the Candians sacrificed at Dieppe, and the 3rd Canadian Division who landed at Juno Beach on D-Day. Sharing a Head of State serves to maintain the close realtionship between the two countries.
Pity they don't have to do the same if they come to live in this country Eric

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..