Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should there be a beach in Accrington?
Yes! 2 16.67%
No! 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2012, 14:41   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington Beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I couldn't quite remember about Oakhill Park as Milnshaw was my local one. But if you think so too...
Wasn't there one in Woodlands in C.L.M?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2012, 14:43   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
No idea, not my neck of the woods.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:45   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
No idea, not my neck of the woods.
Did you not stray far from Milnshaw?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 14:50   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Did you not stray far from Milnshaw?
Not at an age when I appreciated paddling pools! Never got further down Clayton than just past the Greyhound, where my great great uncle lived, used to go and visit him after school every week on the bus. A trip to Oakhill Park was a special treat.

Clayton is still a bit of a closed book to me today, as is Ossy, Woodnook, Fern Gore and most of that side of town. But don't forget I haven't lived in Accy since the sixties so haven't really had the opportunity to get acquainted.
Old 15-07-2012, 14:52   #20
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There was a temporary city beach in Manchester Castlefield area a couple of years ago. It was very popular but Manchester Castlefield is a popular area for a day out.. Plenty of decent bars, restaurants, MOSI and decent shops within a 10 minute walk....

Accrington has none of this stuff. The town centre is dying on its arse, the market is less than half the size it once was. The Market Hall has been completely ruined in my opinion, and there's hardly an abundance of decent boozers and restaurants.

Accrington would have been better off with a few small green spaces in the town centre but to be honest. I don't think that anything would attract people to shop here now. When I ask people at work if they come to Accrington shopping, the answer is always...
"I used to come years ago for the market, but not anymore."

It would be a waste of money to make a beach here.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 15:34   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Just knock the whole town centre down and site it there. It's dying on its feet anyway, thanks to successive councils. If it was a beach, you'd probably get more people there than now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Accrington has none of this stuff. The town centre is dying on its arse, the market is less than half the size it once was. The Market Hall has been completely ruined in my opinion, and there's hardly an abundance of decent boozers and restaurants.
I love free market research, it helps with my future plans
Old 15-07-2012, 17:25   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Been some stupid ideas on here, but this takes the biscuit.
Well I saw the thread title cashy, then saw who posted it, which kind of explained everything really
Old 15-07-2012, 19:28   #23
JFT96

I would have voted, but there was no 'why on earth would anyone suggest this' option.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 19:51   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
'why on earth would anyone suggest this'
...because he hasn't been the centre of attention for awhile?
Old 15-07-2012, 21:01   #25
Senior Member+

Do some towns actually have artificial beaches? are they going to make an artificial beach too?

What is a beach without sunsets over sea horizons.
Old 15-07-2012, 21:34   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Do some towns actually have artificial beaches? are they going to make an artificial beach too?

What is a beach without sunsets over sea horizons.
Doesn't have to be the sea ... Lakes are good too. I remember sailing accross Lake Athabasca one summer hauling diesel fuel to Uranium City. Just like the sea, except you could drink the water. Also drove over the same route on the ice road in a SIN truck ... no, we weren't hauling whores; that's Saskatchewan Indian Nations ... Ok, so my buddy Roland Desjarlais, who was Chief of the Muskowekwan Ojibway First Nation at the time, did most of the driving, but I did do the simple bits So, if it's a cold winter over there, what about an ice road from Clayton to Ossy? It would be a winter complement to the beach.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 21:36   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
If you put it by the canal in Clayton Davemac can take seaside pictures as well as ducks and wicky things. No topless sunbathing though!
You have my support on that one, what about topless photographers?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 21:43   #28
God Member

Quote:
As the memory is the second thing to go, this may not be accurate. But I seem to remember an abandonned wading pool in the Woodlands. I believe I used to sail a toy boad in it. One of those which worked on candle power ... don't know exactly how to describe it; but someone else's memory may be working better than mine.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 21:53   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
You have my support on that one,
Oh sorry thought you were wearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
what about topless photographers?
Are you volunteering?
Old 15-07-2012, 23:57   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
years ago there was a rumour that there was going to be a leisure resort /theme park built up huncoat which resulted in jokes about the place been known as Huncoat Sands.

If it an artificial beach your after just dump the kids at jewsons or greengates with tehir bucket and spade and leave them in the sand bunker while you go shopping
I remember that wasn't it in the 80's and the site was passed Huncoat on the right side on they way to Burnley just passed the quarries. The guy behind it was a local business man, maybe Asian.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..