Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2012, 13:30   #106
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post

wonder how many of you know the changes regarding Council tax benefit too???
Please do tell, my Landlord has been good enough to warn me, my Council hasn't.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2012, 13:36   #107

Quote:
what makes it even worse is that universal credit which will include elements for housing will also be paid monthly (calendar month not four weekly)
Well at least that will fall in line with being able to set up a DD, if I know when it's coming in I can have it paid straight out, though of course I would rather have the miracle of miracles a succesful job interview then this nightmare might end.
Old 28-07-2012, 13:45   #108
God Member

National council tax benefit, which is calculated the same across all councils will come to an end next March and will be changed to a localised council tax allowance. This could be a nightmare and even more so create a postcode lottery as each council can set it's own remit on how it will work!!

Some councils have already announced that regardless of income a minimum of 10% of council tax must be paid by all and the rest will be means tested and an allowance awarded to those towards their council tax!

No noise from Hyndburn on how they are going to manage theirs but I do know that funding from the govt towards this has been cut dramatically

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:52   #109

Quote:
National council tax benefit, which is calculated the same across all councils will come to an end next March and will be changed to a localised council tax allowance. This could be a nightmare and even more so create a postcode lottery as each council can set it's own remit on how it will work!!

Some councils have already announced that regardless of income a minimum of 10% of council tax must be paid by all and the rest will be means tested and an allowance awarded to those towards their council tax!

No noise from Hyndburn on how they are going to manage theirs but I do know that funding from the govt towards this has been cut dramatically
So next April all those on benefits with a spare room can expect at least 10% rent increase and the rest 10% Council tax increase on top of that, can they also expect a means by which they will be able to pay this?
I, like the majority want to pay my way, I just wonder how I'll be able to, can't see a large amount of extra staff being needed by the companies struggling to survive at the moment.
Old 28-07-2012, 13:52   #110
God Member

http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...f/19510253.pdf

It infers that council tax changes are expected to fall in line with rent rule changes, so if you are a single person with two bedrooms you might lose the 25% discount, (but over pension age people won't).

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:54   #111
God Member

It doesn't mean Hyndburn will charge 10%, some councils are sticking to the current method dependant on their budgets of course

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 13:55   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So next April all those on benefits with a spare room can expect at least 10% rent increase and the rest 10% Council tax increase on top of that, can they also expect a means by which they will be able to pay this?
I, like the majority want to pay my way, I just wonder how I'll be able to, can't see a large amount of extra staff being needed by the companies struggling to survive at the moment.
Hang on though, maybe my Landlord, the Council and the Bailiffs will be taking on just to sort this out?
Old 28-07-2012, 14:11   #113
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Hang on though, maybe my Landlord, the Council and the Bailiffs will be taking on just to sort this out?
Good point Less, I should put my name down now for an interview if I were you.
Old 28-07-2012, 14:13   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Good point Less, I should put my name down now for an interview if I were you.
WHAaaat? With my bad back? I'd never lift the paperwork!
Old 05-02-2013, 14:40   #115
God Member

If you don't live in a housing association property, how do they know how many bedrooms you have, and how many are occupied?
.....YOU told them!...remember the census

Old 05-02-2013, 14:45   #116
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If you don't live in a housing association property, how do they know how many bedrooms you have, and how many are occupied?
Many of the 2 up 2 downs have been here for over 100 years so I am sure they have had a few happen in that time.

The rateable value was also based on rooms/bedrooms/bathrooms etc so they will still have that information
Old 05-02-2013, 14:48   #117
God Member

Bathrooms were installed in back bedrooms and not all had a bedroom partitioned off it.

PS not all internal changes were reported to the council - as a child I was aware that my parents didn't.

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-02-2013 at 14:54.
Old 05-02-2013, 14:54   #118

Quote:
If you claim benefits, you have to fill in a form, it asks how many rooms you have including bedrooms.
Of course people will tell them, would be stupid not to, otherwise you wouldn't get a payment.
We are talking about poor people here, a bedroom tax, also if you're claiming and single no longer getting single allowance even though you waste less than a family do.
Old 05-02-2013, 14:56   #119
God Member

Quote:
If you claim benefits, you have to fill in a form, it asks how many rooms you have including bedrooms.
Of course people will tell them, would be stupid not to, otherwise you wouldn't get a payment.
We are talking about poor people here, a bedroom tax, also if you're claiming and single no longer getting single allowance even though you waste less than a family do.
Now you know why they asked, in hindsight do you wish you had lied?

Old 05-02-2013, 15:01   #120
I am Banned

Quote:
Yes, but that detailed information is sealed for 100 years. We've only had access to the 1911 census for a short time.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..