Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2012, 23:43   #46
God Member

Re: Accrington Market Hall or Lancashire furniture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, as Wynonie pointed out, nothing to do with demographics, or changes in shopping habits. Other town's markets are still thriving, and bustling.

The once, until relatively recently, busy and successful markets in Accy, are on their uppers because of the intervention of clowns, who wouldn't know their arse from their pound of tripe.

Restoration fine.
Smilies
Constantly arsing about with something that wasn't broken...madness.

Sadly for those who still bother going, we see the depressing evidence of this, on each visit.
I know my opionin is practically worthless as I'm there at the most twice a year - it is a fantastic space but needs to be more open to the average person/youngster. A place for them to congregate with the possiblity of making music would be a start.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2012, 03:34   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I know my opionin is practically worthless as I'm there at the most twice a year - it is a fantastic space but needs to be more open to the average person/youngster. A place for them to congregate with the possiblity of making music would be a start.
No, once a year, or once a week, your view is as valid as anyone else's.

A market hall really needs to be filled with stalls floggin' stuff, people of all ages will want to go in there to buy.

You listed what you liked about it in the past, when you went in there as a youngster.

I can't recall you posting that you went there, just to congregate with other young people, or with the possibility of making music.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:40   #48
God Member

Quote:
No, once a year, or once a week, your view is as valid as anyone else's.

A market hall really needs to be filled with stalls floggin' stuff, people of all ages will want to go in there to buy.

You listed what you liked about it in the past, when you went in there as a youngster.

I can't recall you posting that you went there, just to congregate with other young people, or with the possibility of making music.

I suppose not -though we did go round in pairs or threes keeping an eye on the local talent as we spent our pocket money on bits of junk jewellery and cheap accessories!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-09-2012, 07:49   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I suppose not -though we did go round in pairs or threes keeping an eye on the local talent as we spent our pocket money on bits of junk jewellery and cheap accessories!
It was probably you and your friends, stomping around in your platforms, who damaged the original flagstone floor, hidden underneath the concrete.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 07:53   #50
God Member

Quote:
It was probably you and your friends, stomping around in your platforms, who damaged the original flagstone floor, hidden underneath the concrete.

More likely you and your arty friends from Blackburn with your winkle pickers!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-09-2012, 09:08   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Putting small businesses and arty crafty type places up there was a halfbaked idea which was bound to fail. It's Accy for crying out loud, not Covent Garden. A thoroughly depressing experience walking round the market now for those who can remember when it was the lively, bustling heart of the town.
So what your saying Wyn, is that this chap selling flat pack furniture (who I haven't seen) shouldn't be allowed in there, just leave a great big empty space doing nout
Old 15-09-2012, 09:16   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
So what your saying Wyn, is that this chap selling flat pack furniture (who I haven't seen) shouldn't be allowed in there, just leave a great big empty space doing nout
Quite the opposite, Jay, I'm saying he SHOULD be allowed and the rest of the space should be filled up with other traders selling useful things to local shoppers, because that's what a market's for!
Old 15-09-2012, 09:18   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Nah. HAH. Got my attention by friend request and visitor message. As so others I imagine
Um yes there might be a pesky bee fying around again me thinks
Old 15-09-2012, 09:20   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I don't think it necessarily a bad thing that tripe is in limited supply. Knowing what it is.... YUK

My mates granddad used to eat it often. Tried it once as a kid. UGH was the response. Is it white and flabby looking?
Get away, lb of tripe plenty a S & V Restless, put hairs on your chest mate
Old 15-09-2012, 09:22   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Quite the opposite, Jay, I'm saying he SHOULD be allowed and the rest of the space should be filled up with other traders selling useful things to local shoppers, because that's what a market's for!
Sorry mate misread your thoughts, to me any business is better than no business
Old 15-09-2012, 09:31   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry mate misread your thoughts, to me any business is better than no business
Exactly my sentiments, Jay. The guy's selling affordable furniture - there's a demand for affordable furniture. This is just the sort of business that is the lifeblood of a town market - NOT stupid artistic "happenings".
Old 15-09-2012, 09:57   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
The only reason he can spread his wares over such a large area is because there aren't enough stall holders, if there where then he wouldn't be able to use the space available, so until we get some more traders selling goods that people want let him use the space.

It may discourage the odd roaming Chef from setting up for the day and ripping us off for a fortune.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 10:04   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
The only reason he can spread his wares over such a large area is because there aren't enough stall holders, if there where then he wouldn't be able to use the space available, so until we get some more traders selling goods that people want let him use the space.

It may discourage the odd roaming Chef from setting up for the day and ripping us off for a fortune.

So I take it your not over keen on a return visit from Heston Blumenthal then Less
Old 15-09-2012, 10:17   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
So I take it your not over keen on a return visit from Heston Blumenthal then Less
Not much point in a chef that goes into a Market Hall to demonstrate cookery if he doesn't use the products available IN that Market Hall.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 11:06   #60
God Member

I saw the bed outside the market hall yesterday. My first thought was that Accy might have been organising an olympic mini-ceremony with dancing doctors and nurses. when they didn't turn up my second idea was that it was some thing for the dossers from Abbey Street to lie down on. But I didn't see any of those either...odd that. So i went for a quick pint in the railway instead.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..