Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2012, 17:06   #1

Does it pay to work? - Workfare

Ive recently been out of work for a few months now, and have been looking for any job.Anyway the jobcentre suggested a work placement for me, which i attended the interview today and he said i can start on monday.However its a months trial which means i do a months work for nothing, but still having to find my own travel, dinner expenses etc, and theres still no guarantee of a job at the end of it.I just feel like some employers can just try and exploit people to their own advantage which is not fair.I have no problem with work trials, its just i feel a month is to excessive working for nothing, if i factor in the hours i will be doing to what i get paid on jobseekers it works out at £2.29 an hour, what do you all think.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2012, 17:22   #2
Resting in Peace

re: Does it pay to work? - Workfare

The details are a bit sketchy to say the least. could you elaborate a lot more?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 17:37   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
Ive recently been out of work for a few months now, and have been looking for any job.Anyway the jobcentre suggested a work placement for me, which i attended the interview today and he said i can start on monday.However its a months trial which means i do a months work for nothing, but still having to find my own travel, dinner expenses etc, and theres still no guarantee of a job at the end of it.I just feel like some employers can just try and exploit people to their own advantage which is not fair.I have no problem with work trials, its just i feel a month is to excessive working for nothing, if i factor in the hours i will be doing to what i get paid on jobseekers it works out at £2.29 an hour, what do you all think.
To be honest Rob I'd tell um to stick it end of story, but of course if you refuse they stop your benefits, I'm in agreement in encouraging people back to work but this ain't it, by the way which firm is it?
Old 27-09-2012, 17:38   #4

I am currently on jobseekers allowance which is £71 a week.I have been given a work placement which i start on monday, which lasts for a month.I will receive no remuneration of the employer for the first month, even tho i will be doing 30 plus hours a week.I have my travel and food cost which i will have to incur which will leave me out of pocket, and at the end of the month there might be a job or there might not be.All i am trying to say is i feel a months trial for no pay with no definite offer of a job is to much, if it was a week i would have no problem with that.Plus he told me today the main aspect of the job is driving the lads to different sites as at the moment he has a lad who is only 21 driving and his insurance would cost alot less having me as a driver.It doesnt seem fair tho to me.
Old 27-09-2012, 17:42   #5

Its like getting a months graft for nothing, keeping his insurance costs down, then after the month, he could just say im sorry your not what we are looking for, and the cycle goes on.
Old 27-09-2012, 17:49   #6
God Member

They give you work trials for experience, something else to put on your c.v, it's only like doing voluntary work

i started a 4 week training placement in February, i loved it that much that i am still there 7 months later, not because i have to be but because i choose to be, i get no expences paid, no bus fares, no dinner but i'm not moaning about it, i love being able to get out and meet new people, this will not lead to any permanent work from them but it is doing a lot for my self esteem, although i am on the dole i can hold my head high and say i don't sit on my arse 24/7
Old 27-09-2012, 18:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
They give you work trials for experience, something else to put on your c.v, it's only like doing voluntary work

i started a 4 week training placement in February, i loved it that much that i am still there 7 months later, not because i have to be but because i choose to be, i get no expences paid, no bus fares, no dinner but i'm not moaning about it, i love being able to get out and meet new people, this will not lead to any permanent work from them but it is doing a lot for my self esteem, although i am on the dole i can hold my head high and say i don't sit on my arse 24/7
What i am saying is if i do a months work for nothing, my time would have been better off spent searching for a job that actually pays you at the end of the week.I mean for all i know he could have someone on trial every month just to keep his insurance down.It doesnt sound good tho does it after a few minutes the boss is saying he's trying to get his insurance costs down does it.
Old 27-09-2012, 18:18   #8
God Member

You still have to look for a job even though you are on a work trial so whether working a month for free or sitting on your backside you still have to look so what does it matter?
Old 27-09-2012, 18:32   #9

Do it for 1 week, work your socks off and then say thats me am I getting a job at the end of this. businesses need good staff just as much as you want a job I'm sure if there serious about employing you they will tell you after a week. Like you say a month is a long time to work for nothing and maybe have nothing to show for it.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 18:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Do it for 1 week, work your socks off and then say thats me am I getting a job at the end of this. businesses need good staff just as much as you want a job I'm sure if there serious about employing you they will tell you after a week. Like you say a month is a long time to work for nothing and maybe have nothing to show for it.
So if i work my socks off show enthusiasm do the best i can, then after a month he says sorry no, then thats a month wasted, when i could have been looking for a paid job.I believe if you do a hard weeks graft you should be given at least something to show at least they appreciate your efforts you have put in and i'm sure many will agree.
Old 27-09-2012, 18:58   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

These sort of schemes are insulting to anyone that wants to work fer a living, its that simple. anyone who cannot see this wants there heads testing. imho.
Old 27-09-2012, 19:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
These sort of schemes are insulting to anyone that wants to work fer a living, its that simple. anyone who cannot see this wants there heads testing. imho.
Thankyou cashy, this is what i mean he said to me this morning, my driver at the moment is only 20 so its costing me nearly 7 grand a year in insurance as im older and have a clean license the insurance will be alot less.So in effect hes saving insurance money and getting a months graft for nothing which i feel is so unfair, and as ive said before it could come to the end of the trial and he could say im sorry your not for us and just do the same over and over again.I want to work, ive always worked but i dont want to be taken for a mug and no doubt this goes on the length and breadth of the country so its no wonder it demoralises peoples motivation to work.
Old 27-09-2012, 19:12   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post

Not being flippant, and fair play to you for doing this, and this is an honest question, are you keeping someone else from getting that experience by continuing to work there, or do they have more than one training placement?

Nobody on these schemes should be out of pocket....local politicians claim expenses, MP's with their guaranteed golden pension schemes claim expenses....but poor Rob has to fork out for his own expenses from his £71 weekly pittance. Disgusting!
Old 27-09-2012, 19:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Not being flippant, and fair play to you for doing this, and this is an honest question, are you keeping someone else from getting that experience by continuing to work there, or do they have more than one training placement?

Nobody on these schemes should be out of pocket....local politicians claim expenses, MP's with their guaranteed golden pension schemes claim expenses....but poor Rob has to fork out for his own expenses from his £71 weekly pittance. Disgusting!
Ive been on jobseekers for 4 months now i have my rent, council tax, water rates as we all have to pay, as ive said i want to work, i just dont want to be taken advantage of, i had a brilliant job before over at east lancashire coachbuilders but sadly they have moved production over to leeds now.Ive worked days, earlys lates, nights ive been to countless interviews even for basic jobs picking and packing, they either tell me im to qualified or i will leave if something better comes along.The job climate at the moment is so tough but you have to try and keep on being positive.
Old 27-09-2012, 19:34   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
The details are a bit sketchy to say the least. could you elaborate a lot more?
I'll try again.
What age are you?
what experience/qualifications do you have?
Is the placement near by?
Would It be a tremendous task to get there?
Do you trawl for jobs on a daily basis?
What does the job entail?
Are there any other reasonable prospects on the horizon?

I think you will find that during the coarse 0f a life time most people will have worked a month for nothing I know I have and probably a lot more.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..