Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 21:05   #31
JFT96

Re: April Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Let's not turn another thread into a slanging match, a bit of respect for the the little girl, her family & friends. I know what I would do to this evil man when he's charged with her murder. Lets face it the police must have plenty of evidence etc to arrest him on the charge, and no-one else has been arrested. Let's hope she's found soon.
No, the man has been held and is Accused. He may be innocent, but I don't imagine he is.
However until he is formally charged then tried and convicted he has to be considered innocent. It's how our justice system works.

I was annoyed that some of our members have already decided that Jimmy Saville was guilty of many crimes, with no evidence just say so and this man is not.

I am sure once due process is done Bridger, I am sure, will be spending a long time in a prison.

For the record Wallop, when I heard of her disappearance I prayed for her safety. The last time I prayed was when I was a child over 30 years ago. So I do have respect for them.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2012, 21:08   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And if he's another Colin Stagg?....but hey why let minor details like establishing guilt beyond a reasonable doubt stop you from getting the pliers out
Yes he could be another Colin Stagg perhaps. The media is very emotive showing photos of the child missing then this guys mug shot - makes people feel angry and want to see action. The news has not said they have any DNA or any evidence at all. Just that this guy was at parents event attended by the missing kids parents and saw her given extra-comendation!

Last edited by kestrelx; 05-10-2012 at 21:11.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 21:13   #33
JFT96

Absolutely right, but of course the media have already decided who's guilty.
Of ourselves the Police, will wait as long as possible before bringing charges, helping build their case

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 00:16   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Absolutely right, but of course the media have already decided who's guilty.
Of ourselves the Police, will wait as long as possible before bringing charges, helping build their case
we probably all presume he's guilty,so why have the police arrested him so quickly ?
bernie94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
There was a murder on Royds Avenue few years back (posh houses nr King George's) body never found but fella was charged with murder & is now in one of her maj's holiday camps, so even with no body someone can be found guilty.
My son in law was CSI on that case, the evidence was overpowering
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie94 View Post
we probably all presume he's guilty,so why have the police arrested him so quickly ?
This is one of the problems in cases such as this. The pressure on the police to solve the case quickly is intense. Sometimes this "forces" them to make an arrest without having done the often painstaking investigating. Sometimes they manipulate evidence ... I know this is illegal, but they feel the heat from the mob. This happenened in Canada with a similar case: the rape and murder of an eight year old girl. They arrested the wrong man ... he was convicted. Problem is ... and it is a serious one ... the real killer is still out there.

Guy Paul Morin: One of the best known wrongly convicted person exonerated in Canada

Of cours, there is probably a hell of a good chance that he is guilty.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:02   #37
God Member

He has been charged on the advice of the CPS, with murder, child abduction and trying to pervert the course of justice. Apparently there is sufficent evidence for the charges to be made
Old 06-10-2012, 21:14   #38
Clearly Classy.......

I know they probably can't for legal purposes but I wish they would elaborate on 'sufficient evidence', though I guess that would be unfair on her family to have it pubic knowledge yet. I do struggle with comprehending the justice system and their ablities to charge without solid evidence, although I guess if it were my child I would most likely see it from a completely different perspective.

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 21:34   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps View Post
I know they probably can't for legal purposes but I wish they would elaborate on 'sufficient evidence', though I guess that would be unfair on her family to have it pubic knowledge yet. I do struggle with comprehending the justice system and their ablities to charge without solid evidence, although I guess if it were my child I would most likely see it from a completely different perspective.
The CPS will have instructed them that they have a reasonable case to bring to trial. Giving out the evidence will be prejudicial to his defence. Using the comments in this thread alone, it's already going to be difficult enough to find a jury that aren't armed with a prejudice to string him up. To disclose details now would make it very easy for his defence to argue that the jury cannot reasonably judge on evidence alone without being prejudiced by media reports. Which would mean that the case would be prolonged unnecessarily.

In the long run it's better for the family that we don't know, because the trial will be held so much quicker.
Old 06-10-2012, 21:55   #40
Clearly Classy.......

Thank you Guinness that makes sense.

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 23:35   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
The CPS will have instructed them that they have a reasonable case to bring to trial. Giving out the evidence will be prejudicial to his defence. Using the comments in this thread alone, it's already going to be difficult enough to find a jury that aren't armed with a prejudice to string him up. To disclose details now would make it very easy for his defence to argue that the jury cannot reasonably judge on evidence alone without being prejudiced by media reports. Which would mean that the case would be prolonged unnecessarily.

In the long run it's better for the family that we don't know, because the trial will be held so much quicker.
From what I read in your papers, the cops had to bust him. Either that, or let him walk. I believe they had an hour left to go when they arrested him.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:49   #42

What started out as a wonderful day being given a glowing school report which led to a treat of being allowed to play out a little later with friends will haunt her parents forever.

Years ago we were led to believe that the abolishment of capital punishment would encourage an immediate confession from those who took a life because the threat of the noose had been taken away. The police believe they have the perpetrator, but as we can see it's taken several days for the forensic search to be concentrated on one specific place. Thus on the face of it the premise of immediate confessions is a false premise.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:57   #43
Full Member+

Am I alone thinking the police have arrested this man too quickly ? I am the first to admit I am a doubting Thomas , but I really do feel uncomfortable at the speed this man has been arrested. One or two things puzzle me. IF this man really did take April ( and I am not saying he didn't ) would he take her in front of other children ? surely living in a village everybody knows everybody, the other children said April got in a grey van . Yet police took a blue range rover from his garage.Things just don't add up to me,however I do trust forensics and hope they have done their job right. One day I think Crimewatch will reveal how this crime was solved, I look forward to it, meanwhile , this man has to go to court and the jury do their job. Maybe we will learn more then.Meanwhile I hope April is found .
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 13:30   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Am I alone thinking the police have arrested this man too quickly ? I am the first to admit I am a doubting Thomas , but I really do feel uncomfortable at the speed this man has been arrested. One or two things puzzle me. IF this man really did take April ( and I am not saying he didn't ) would he take her in front of other children ? surely living in a village everybody knows everybody, the other children said April got in a grey van . Yet police took a blue range rover from his garage.Things just don't add up to me,however I do trust forensics and hope they have done their job right. One day I think Crimewatch will reveal how this crime was solved, I look forward to it, meanwhile , this man has to go to court and the jury do their job. Maybe we will learn more then.Meanwhile I hope April is found .
Good points. When Huntley was nicked over the Soham murders - they released the reasons why in the press, that they found clothing from the girls in some bins at Huntley's house. So why in this case have they not revealed what evidence they have to hold and charge this character?

Also surely if he's been caught for several days why has he not divulged what he's done with the girl?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 13:45   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Good points. When Huntley was nicked over the Soham murders - they released the reasons why in the press, that they found clothing from the girls in some bins at Huntley's house. So why in this case have they not revealed what evidence they have to hold and charge this character?

Also surely if he's been caught for several days why has he not divulged what he's done with the girl?
maybe they only have "little" evidence, and dont want to release any details

and if he has done it, then if no body is found a conviction will be harder to come by.

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..