Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2012, 00:20   #16
God Member

Re: Can We Really Listen To A Book?

Surely the corollary is this...if you are deaf can you watch a film with subtitles?

It's a no brainer...enjoy it while you can.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2012, 02:14   #17

I prefer to actually read, but, you can't read whilst you're driving.
So, I like audiobooks for that. I remember listening to storytapes a lot as a child but I lost interest because I've always loved to read and preferred reading.
I like librivox. I've thought about volunteering for them, but I am not sure about my voice.
Old 20-12-2012, 06:37   #18
Senior Member+

oh my librivox. I listened to one of those. There was one guy kept reading the same line and then stopping. Why they didn't edit it out I dunno. Also different people reading different chapters... No consistency or a bad narrator can make all the difference in an audiobook.

I do like the full cast stuff with effects sometimes. But prefer Graphic Audio releases for that and they do series like Deathlands mostly.
Old 20-12-2012, 12:32   #19

You've just reminded me-I had the Titanic audiobook from there-A male voice for the first chapter then an American woman for the rest. Strange. But, I never complain if it's for free.
Old 20-12-2012, 12:38   #20

I've tried with an audiobook found it quite good just had my eyes closed and used my imagination to picture the story. Which was all well and good until I kept falling asleep and waking up a few chapters later. Only reason I did it was I can't ever seem to get comfortable when reading a book at home. On a sun lounger on a beach i'm fine.
Old 20-12-2012, 14:11   #21
Common Sense Member

Audiobooks are OK but I much prefer full cast dramatisations.

BBC Radio wipe the floor with everyone out there but a company called Big Finish Productions have been making audio dramas for about 15 years, including new episodes of Doctor Who every month. Their Eighth Doctor adventures on Radio 7 (now Radio 4 Extra) are pretty awesome:

News - Big Finish

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 16:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
I've tried with an audiobook found it quite good just had my eyes closed and used my imagination to picture the story. Which was all well and good until I kept falling asleep and waking up a few chapters later. Only reason I did it was I can't ever seem to get comfortable when reading a book at home. On a sun lounger on a beach i'm fine.
I can't either -I think It's because at home, there's always something I could be doing..Work, housework, dog walking...etc.

If it's at night I could, but then other half is home and I would feel rude if I ignored him to read a book...It only half makes sense, as I ignore him when I work or faff about on the 'net!
I suppose because those things can be tertiary.

I read in bed sometimes..But again quite often in bed there are better things to do!
I get very 'into' books and can't do anything else at the same time as reading...It's a primary activity.
When you're on holiday you can't do anything else but relax if you're not meant to be anywhere..
I think I need to get a book for over xmas.
(For when all the 'grown-ups' are talking and I'm stuck for something to do

I am going to order a new one
Old 20-12-2012, 16:45   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I think I need to get a book for over xmas.
(For when all the 'grown-ups' are talking and I'm stuck for something to do

Come on say it! You meant 'For when all the boring old farts are talking'.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 15:12   #24

I love audiobooks.

First, I used to get them from the Library, in CD and cassette formats. I really liked them but I found they used to make me drowsy and almost fall asleep.

After fighting this for some time, through book after book, I listened to 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks narrated by Peter Kenney; dead weird & dark but very funny in places; the phone conversations with his brother in particular had me in hysterics.

I think that's when got hooked into taking them more seriously; that book and the fact that we had bought an iPad. I discovered that the iPad works just the same as a kindle reader so we can download both audio and kindle to it.

Then I joined 'Audible.co.uk' and signed up for a book-a-month. This is owned by Amazon too. I've been a member for year now so I've had 12 books so far.

But, what about the drowsiness, I hear you say? Well, I've combated that by putting my iPad on a stand next to my desktop PC and then work on an electronic jigsaw while I'm listening.

I use one half of the brain taking in the story while the other half is mechanically working on a really hard jigsaw. No more drowsiness.

This works great for me!

Sheila and Barry
Restless likes this.

Last edited by pompeylass; 21-12-2012 at 15:21.
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 15:50   #25

After fighting this for some time, through book after book, I listened to 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks narrated by Peter Kenney; dead weird & dark but very funny in places; the phone conversations with his brother in particular had me in hysterics.
I want to get this, now. LOVED the book, and I don't usually like fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Come on say it! You meant 'For when all the boring old farts are talking'.
Haha I'm not young enough to say that, anymore!
I'm a bit of a black sheep, and quite often my family talk about things and people I'm unfamiliar with so I can either sit there in silence, not daring to say anything or I can go do something else.... If I dare go near a computer I get shouted at so a book is the solution lol
Old 21-12-2012, 15:58   #26
Beacon of light

I don't get it Sugarmouse...you tell us that you are now too old to call people B.O.F.....but that you daren't go near a computer for fear of being shouted at.....maybe at home you are still the 'child'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 16:11   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't get it Sugarmouse...you tell us that you are now too old to call people B.O.F.....but that you daren't go near a computer for fear of being shouted at.....maybe at home you are still the 'child'.
Yes, she comes across as a sweet innocent child that wouldn't get her tit's out for anyone.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 19:17   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
I want to get this, now. LOVED the book, and I don't usually like fiction.
was one of the first audibooks that I listened to. Quite good....
Old 22-12-2012, 06:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think you're right. A lot to do with my moving out very young, and to do with my only just beginning a friendship with my Father, recently. I'm never totally relaxed in family company and I think they do see me as a child still. But then I'm sure a lot of young or young-ish people experience things like that at Christmas when returning to a parental home or atmosphere.
I don't find the conversation boring-I just can't join in on a lot of it :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, she comes across as a sweet innocent child that wouldn't get her tit's out for anyone.

Tit's?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
was one of the first audibooks that I listened to. Quite good....
I do intend to get it, I loved the book but I've not read it for a long time, think I would still enjoy it on audio.

Last edited by Sunflower49; 22-12-2012 at 06:57.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 07:23   #30

Quote:

Tit's?!
Your greengrocer's perhaps?

Last edited by Michael1954; 22-12-2012 at 07:26.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..