Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2013, 12:35   #16
I am Banned

Re: Aren't you glad you voted for this numpty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
back in the early 1990s i remember something about the plan to build in between blackburn and ossy to join them up and to make hyndburn a suburb of the city of blackburn .
There was an even earlier event back in the 1970s when blegburn thowt they were going to take over what is now Hyndburn, Mottershead of blegburn rubbed his hands in glee, half penny on the rates would bring in 30,000 to blegburn, the people of Oswaldtwistle rose up and threatened to build a wall across the road on the boundry with Blegburn. Mottershead had blegburns new town hall bult on the strength of such a take over, 1/2 of that stood unused for years after, only Darwen was made top suffer from their ineptitude.
The last thing we need is that lot from blegburn running this part of Lancashire, all our services would be run from yon dump, the area would become even more blighted, your local councillors would have little voice in the affairs. Why do you think they want the new bus station, being pushed by county and blegburn, NOT to serve Accrington, but to transport Accrington shoppers to blegburn.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2013, 13:51   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Think you are right in your assessment there Sue.
I worked in Rawtenstall in the early sixties and it was always Rossendale back then.
I never really liked the name Hyndburn......and if asked where I am from I always say Accrington.
Perhaps it was a half way house naming it Hyndburn?
Half of it being named after a no longer existing pub on blacburn rd the other half, burn getting folk used to the idea that we will become a suburb of wanna be City?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 13:53   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Rossendale as an area name has been around for a very long time. My dad worked at Haslingden even though we lived in Accy and he always referred to Rossendale. Whereas Hyndburn only really came into being when the local authority was created and before that was just the name of a river, and a mucky one at that. It's much more of an artificial creation and hasn't really been around long enough to be thought of as an area.
Its always been known as Rossendale Valley, or just the Valley when you live there, I lived and worked in Rossendale for quite a few years before moving back to Ossy, even I didn't look on it as moving back to Hyndburn, nobody really knows where Hyndburn is they certainly know where Accrington and Oswaldtwistle are in all parts of the country. When I worked for Shopfitters Ossy was on every van and the number of people who actually came up to use say they knew where Ossy was amazing
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:34   #19
God Member

from what i remember darwen isnt too happy anymore been taken over by blackburn council as where as they used to get their own pot of cash they now have to be drip fed from blackburn which apparantly isnt happening as expected so darwen is now getting less money

if accy was taken merged with blackburn i dare say teh same would happen with the lions share plus a bit more going to blackburn and scraps going to the rest

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:23   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think your right there Gayle I know when I lived in Rossendale, Rossendale was recognised as part of the Postcode, never did take of in Hyndburn though, Haslingden Rossendale seems to have the right feel to it whereas Oswaldtwistle Hyndburn doesn't, its far better Oswaldtwistle Accrington

I almost never put Accrington on my address, just street, Oswaldtwistle and postcode. Sometimes I put Lancashire
Old 17-03-2013, 09:11   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I almost never put Accrington on my address, just street, Oswaldtwistle and postcode. Sometimes I put Lancashire
I'm the same Neil, if I'm writing to some one I haven't communicated with before say for buying something, I do include Accrington but never do locally
Old 17-03-2013, 09:59   #22
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Quote:
I'm the same Neil, if I'm writing to some one I haven't communicated with before say for buying something, I do include Accrington but never do locally
If you have the correct house number and postcode you shouldn't even need the town or street.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:06   #23
God Member

i use accrington when on the phone mainly because indians and southerners have a problem with the word oswaldtwistle when spoken in a lancashire accent and you end up spelling it for them 3 or 4 times so its easier to just say accy and give them your postcode

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 10:07   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
If you have the correct house number and postcode you shouldn't even need the town or street.
very true but it helps to keep the boredom away from the postie
Old 17-03-2013, 10:10   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i use accrington when on the phone mainly because indians and southerners have a problem with the word oswaldtwistle when spoken in a lancashire accent and you end up spelling it for them 3 or 4 times so its easier to just say accy and give them your postcode
Indians, I don't even spell out the words I usually tell them, think they understand them by now, they'll have heard them often enough
Old 17-03-2013, 10:14   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Many english people can't understand me. Though they can grasp expletives, they are universal.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:17   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Many english people can't understand me. Though they can grasp expletives, they are universal.
Ya everybody knows for coughs and colds cashy
Old 19-03-2013, 06:57   #28
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Hey Ken..what do you think of your hero now that he's attempting to stab his own local party councillors and constituents in the back?
He isn't, he has merely put forward a suggestive future framework if the time ever comes to hit the panic button in order for East Lancashire to survive. Bear in mind that the possibility exists that at some point district Councils could come to an end and we would all end up under the wing of LCC entirely.

Just remember we are in election season, with a certain Accrington Observer star columnist defending his County Council seat so things will be very lively over the next six weeks and the slightest little thing will be an 'outrage' in order to ramp up a story. Last year I found myself on the front page twice over 'resident anger' (or some other sensationalist sabre-rattling) in stories which were at best off-the-cuff quotes taken wildly out of context.

I have said it before but just take media reports with a pinch of salt, they are rarely verbatim accounts.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:25   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
He isn't, he has merely put forward a suggestive future framework if the time ever comes to hit the panic button in order for East Lancashire to survive. Bear in mind that the possibility exists that at some point district Councils could come to an end and we would all end up under the wing of LCC entirely.

Just remember we are in election season, with a certain Accrington Observer star columnist defending his County Council seat so things will be very lively over the next six weeks and the slightest little thing will be an 'outrage' in order to ramp up a story. Last year I found myself on the front page twice over 'resident anger' (or some other sensationalist sabre-rattling) in stories which were at best off-the-cuff quotes taken wildly out of context.

I have said it before but just take media reports with a pinch of salt, they are rarely verbatim accounts.
yoda yoda yoda
Old 19-03-2013, 08:33   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
yoda yoda yoda
Me no understand? would that be Tory speak?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..