Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 16:53   #1
Junior Member+

Benidorm crime

Warning to others webbers. We have recently ( yesterday) returned from a two week holiday in Benidorm. My wife was mugged and lost all her necklaces, this was in the grounds of the hotel. After talking to other visitors many more people have also been robbed. Picket pocketed, mobile phones nicked. On Friday night there was a drive-by shooting in the centre of Benidorm.
Anyone going to Benidorm must have the right insurance and be on their guard at all times.
I accept that this can happen anywhere in the world but by the Spanish own admission it is rife in benidorm.
gbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2013, 18:25   #2
God Member

Re: Benidorm crime

Crime increases when people cannot afford to eat.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 18:39   #3

we was in benidorm last week in january--feb,was warned every day by hotel staff to be on our guard, against strret robbers, not too wear too much gold,(havnt got any), but its been going on a good while now,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:47   #4
Senior Member+

Not good at all that, must admit its first time I've heard of this happening within Hotel grounds, which hotel was it? Certain areas in Benidorm have been known as problem areas for this type of Street crime for awhile now. I wouldn't say its rife but it does go on & a lot are professional gangs from East European countries.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:16   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Crime increases when people cannot afford to eat.

expect UK crime to go through the roof any time soon then

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Certain areas in Benidorm have been known as problem areas for this type of Street crime for awhile now. I wouldn't say its rife but it does go on & a lot are professional gangs from East European countries.

Best Regards - Taggy
Unfortunately most major European cities suffer from street crime and yes it does seem to be predomantly Eastern Europeans who now can travel freely throughout the Union. Lots of websites listing precautions to take. Google pickpockets.
Here's just one.
Barcelona Pickpockets Real Life Stories
Oh and stay away from the Three shell and pea scam artists at all times they will rip you off and pickpockets are rife in the crowd of onlookers.

Last edited by DtheP47; 02-04-2013 at 09:45. Reason: and another thing... 1
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Oh and stay away from the Three shell and pea scam artists at all times they will rip you off and pickpockets are rife in the crowd of onlookers.
We were told by some Spaniards a few years ago that the main purpose of the ' Three shell and Pea' game was to actually create a crowd for their own team of pickpockets to work through. Members of the gang played the game themselves to keep the crowd interested.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:23   #8
Junior Member+

We were staying at the levante apartments
gbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:28   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

It happens all oer mate, more so when times are hard.
Old 02-04-2013, 16:04   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
It happens all oer mate, more so when times are hard.
In fact me late missus had her handbag snatched by a guy on a motor bike n she was dragged to the floor n that was back in 97/98 when we lived on south coast of spain.
Old 02-04-2013, 17:33   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
We were told by some Spaniards a few years ago that the main purpose of the ' Three shell and Pea' game was to actually create a crowd for their own team of pickpockets to work through. Members of the gang played the game themselves to keep the crowd interested.
A lovely Irish lady who drinks in the Old England Forever lost 300 euros on Levante prom to that game last year . She realises the folly of it all now but admits if she had have had more money in her purse at the time she would have carried on chasing the pea !!!

On our yearly lads n dads trip to Benidorm two years ago one of our lot decided to harangue the con men, it was getting very nasty I counted 8 potential back-up thugs in the crowd. Fortunately our man (now known as Uncle dhead) only got a drop kick out of stage left, winded and bruised him but a lesson learned. Quietened him down but could have been much worse. They definately had knives and knuckledusters Police just stood and watched.

Last year one of our lads got his wallet lifted in or around Cafe Benidorm on the first night with all his money and credit cards. Strewth!!! who goes out with all your stuff on a bender where ever you happen to be.

Still taking names for this years adventure
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:14   #12

we stayed at levante beach apartments also, and the hill at the side of the entrance was the place a couple of muggings whilst we was there, just above the two english bars on each corner,
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07   #13

I was in Tenerife - Las Americas/Torviscas area - in January. It felt very safe, no problems at all (of course I am a 6ft 2, 16 stone skinhead!). The flights cost a bit more but it's quite cheap to stay there. I would recommend it over Benidorm any day.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21   #14

as from our last holiday in benidorm, and all the thefts, we wont be going to benidorm again, it makes you feel unsafe, and we dont need that, tenerifes ok tried a few different places around, but do like the shorter flights, we will find some where else, (safe) 5foot six inch tall grey what bit ive got, ha,ha

Last edited by janloot; 03-04-2013 at 07:23. Reason: need to add to this post
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Think Benidorm gets it more, probably cos its a boozers paradise? easy targets.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..