Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2013, 21:55   #1

Hugging

Interested in your opinions on this one and reflections as to whether it's a cultural or generational thing or something else entirely.
We received a formal complaint at work from a parent who saw a male member of staff hugging two female members of staff in greeting. We now have to officially investigate this complaint and make a formal report back.
How do you stand on this?
I work in a multicultural primary school btw.
I certainly have my own opinion but concede that I may be too close to be objective.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2013, 22:08   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Hugging

I personally, can see nothing wrong in this form of greeting.
If the people involved did not object, then where is the problem?
If the person who made the complaint is from another cultural background, it needs to be mentioned, that in our culture, this form of greeting is acceptable.
Why should we be forced to abandon practices just because they do not fit in with the culture of another ethnic group. I thought that multiculturalism meant that there was some sort of acceptance of the cultures of other ethnic groups......and that the cultures of diverse ethnic groups were to be encouraged.
jelly baby, flashy and pallyman like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 22:11   #3
Senior Member+

Agree with Margaret, if the complaint had come from one of the people involved then that would be different, but to complain because you`ve seen people hugging is a bit pathetic.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 22:17   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

It happens, it's what we do with friends, get over it or get out!
flashy, dotti34 and westendlass like this.
Old 15-11-2013, 23:03   #5

Some people tend to see 'bad intentions' in everything. Makes you wonder what's in their own minds. Just saying.....
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:20   #6
God Member

I don't like the idea of a world in which you can't give someone a hug ...
flashy and susie123 like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:36   #7
God Member

Did the females have any issue? If not then it's non of the observers business. That should be made clear.

You can pass opinion on stuff that impacts you, not what you see. Of you don't like men hugging women then don't watch. If you don't like gay people kissing, turn around. The world is far bigger than you.

Tell them to sod off imho
flashy and shillelagh like this.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:42   #8

Huggees were fine with the hugs. I'm hacked off with us having to formally investigate.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:47   #9
Senior Member+

I agree with all the posts above. Now here's a look from the "other" side. Does he hug all of the female teachers or just the cute ones? Does he hug the male teachers?
Maybe the two female teachers don't want to be hugged but are too "shy" to complain.
Maybe the parent wanted a hug so was disappointed.????? What a world we are creating.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 00:27   #10
Super Moderator

Interesting the way the world has changed. When I was at school, you'd never have seen a male teacher hugging female teachers. In fact, hugging didn't happen except with lovers and family members. Obviously, though, times have moved on and the complaint is totally ridiculous.

Let us know what happens, though. My guess is, the school will back down and ban hugging so as not to offend "cultural sensibilities".
jaysay and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 16-11-2013, 02:10   #11
God Member

id tell the complainer to sod off but using words behing with F and far more colourfull

was it another member of staff because if it was id bring the person up for disciplinary action for been desruptive to teh working enviroment and moral and see how they like pathetic accusations and complaints

its just a pitty that spitefull and venemous creatures like the complainer get all the backing and you yourself would get in trouble for telling them what needs to be said to them

perhaps their mummy didnt hug them enough or tehir daddy or uncle hugged them too much

the stupid moron better not step foot in france them lot greet each otehr with a kiss and it would probbably give teh complainer a seizure

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 16-11-2013 at 02:12.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 07:58   #12
Resting in Peace

Well I class Less as a very good friend but would not hug him
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:28   #13
Senior Member+

Giz a Hug
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:29   #14
Senior Member+

The parent must be short of something to do or worry about, if all they have to think about is people having a consensual hug . He or she needs to get a grip( not in a hug obviously ) and get a life FGS its pathetic.............
Old 16-11-2013, 08:33   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Giz a Hug
There you go Frank

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..