Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 00:14   #31

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: National Lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
is it still 1 in 14 million chance of getting 6 numbers?
Billions to one chance of a single sperm hitting the egg, billions of things that could have affected you from womb to intelligent thought...estimated 3.5 billion football supporters..2-5k of whom support Stanley in some form or another...

Yet here you are..

1 in 14 million don't seem that much now does it?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Billions to one chance of a single sperm hitting the egg, billions of things that could have affected you from womb to intelligent thought...estimated 3.5 billion football supporters..2-5k of whom support Stanley in some form or another...

Yet here you are..

1 in 14 million don't seem that much now does it?
In Davos case seems like and undersight Guinness
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27   #33

National Lottery

The lottery is unique in that it is a tax on poor people, that they willingly pay, indeed they queue up each week to pay. Not only that but it's a voluntary tax that no one has to pay. The vast majority of people playing (paying) have little or no money and are, like religion being sold nonsense on a false hope.

We can call the chance of winning zero, because statistically that's what it is (one in 14m).

My suggestion would be to avoid it, as you won't win.

The only upside is that some of the donations return to the community - I think Blackburn Road is about to get a £20m revamp but I can't recall if that is lottery funded or EU grant.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13   #34
Senior Member+

As far as i`m aware, a tax is a compulsory payment (although there are those who do their best to avoid it), so no, the lottery isn`t a tax.
And obviously there is a chance of winning, as most weeks there is a winner, and if not the money gets added to the next draw, which eventually is won.
Myself, I spend £4 a week, if i don`t win, I won`t miss that £4. If I was in a position where that £4 would be missed then I wouldn`t put it on the lottery.
The lottery for us minions are the only realistic way we would ever live a life of luxury, so I for one will keep playing and crossing my fingers. I don`t expect to win the jackpot, just hope.
cashman likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I dont do it now, but good on yer, Easton will continue to look down on the peasants, he don't know any other way n should be pitied.
jaysay and MargaretR like this.
Old 03-12-2013, 18:23   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
As far as i`m aware, a tax is a compulsory payment (although there are those who do their best to avoid it), so no, the lottery isn`t a tax.
And obviously there is a chance of winning, as most weeks there is a winner, and if not the money gets added to the next draw, which eventually is won.
Myself, I spend £4 a week, if i don`t win, I won`t miss that £4. If I was in a position where that £4 would be missed then I wouldn`t put it on the lottery.
The lottery for us minions are the only realistic way we would ever live a life of luxury, so I for one will keep playing and crossing my fingers. I don`t expect to win the jackpot, just hope.
My thoughts entirely G
Old 03-12-2013, 19:41   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Come on, gpick, look on the bright side.

You could become a politician, a man of God running a bank( high[?] on fringe benefits), a bank robber(same thing as a bank board member but more socially acceptable), a drug dealer(get in quick, when they legalize it you can start your own franchise), an NHS manager, boss of a social service organisation(then get fired and get even richer!), a union boss.
None of these seem to demand much brains, effort or even good character references. They all seem to have a life of luxury.

The world's your oyster- think big.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:41   #38
Senior Member+

I`m not selfish enough to become a banker,politician or any of that lot.

5 and bonus will do me. I`m not greedy.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03   #39

There are some serious chips on shoulders being carried by some folk on this forum.

However if really believe the lottery is the best way to make millions then good luck to you. In all but name it is a tax.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
There are some serious chips on shoulders being carried by some folk on this forum.

However if really believe the lottery is the best way to make millions then good luck to you. In all but name it is a tax.
Maybe not the best, but for some the only way. I`m not that fussed about millions, just a nice win will do me, and for a few quid a week i`m willing to take that risk.
I`ve known a few people who`ve had decent sized wins, not on national lottery though. There were two ex oxo employees, one who won over 100k on bingo, one won about 250k on pools and a mate of mine won 18k on his works lottery so it is possible. Just a matter of being lucky, but if you aint in it, you aint going to win it.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06   #41

Fair enough. I've never heard of anyone winning.

I did see that that Britons threw away 46 billion pounds on gambling machines last year, up 50% in 4 years (today's mail). Most of that will be in the form of those roulette machines you see in every bookmaker these days. Dangerous habit that, and the fact that you can play up to 300 pounds a spin is rediculous in my view.

Whenever I visit a bookies these machines are busy with people who can't afford to lose playing roulette.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17   #42
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

National Lottery

Quote:

Whenever I visit a bookies these machines are busy with people who can't afford to lose playing roulette.
How do you know they can't afford it?

Nasty habit that, deciding who can and can't afford to do something just from a glance.
A touch of superiority complex is showing through perhaps?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30   #43

You're one of the biggest chips Less. Let it go, you'll feel better.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31   #44
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

National Lottery

Quote:
You're one of the biggest chips Less. Let it go, you'll feel better.
In your opinion, which is of no value to me whatsoever.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41   #45

As a concerned citizen I did some research for you less - a search for "anger management accrington" returns this place:

Phoenix Holistics, Accrington | COMPLEMENTARY THERAPIES - Yell

Just across the street from me. You should check it out - I think it always good to support local business wherever possible.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..