Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2013, 21:36   #31
Senior Member+

Re: disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrickbathinyard View Post
Well your lucky, we have just discovered today that there is going to be a enormous 35metre wind turbine errected just off Willows lane, smack bang on the little bit of green belt we have left in this area.

So next time you are up the coppice you should be able to see the turbine, hopefully you won't get one up there.
If Peter Britcliffe had his way we would have had a panopticon on the top of the coppice
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2013, 21:53   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Didn't know you could see 'em from Morecambe.
No but I can probably see Great Gable on a clear day.
Old 30-11-2013, 22:03   #33
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Thanks Margaret an interesting read, nonetheless all the area was forested at one time stretching all the way to the forest of Bowland....coppicing in terms of managing that woodland makes more sense ....and we have acorns on our coat of arms.
You don't coppice oaks - it's usually hazel. A few years ago I lived in an area where this was carried out as a cottage industry producing spars for thatching and poles for fence panels. We had a hazel coppice next to our house and our village pub had a unique name, the Hook and Glove, being the implements used - a billhook and a leather glove.
Old 01-12-2013, 00:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
You don't coppice oaks.
Well I'm no expert but a quick Google of Coppice Oak suggests you can, but correct me if I am wrong.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08   #35
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Well I'm no expert but a quick Google of Coppice Oak suggests you can, but correct me if I am wrong.
OK I didn't say you can't, I said you didn't. Oak is usually left as the standards among which the coppice crop is grown and cut down on a relatively short cycle and the oak can be cut on a longer cycle... sorry it's geting a bit late for lucid explanations...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
If Peter Britcliffe had his way we would have had a panopticon on the top of the coppice
From memory he was very much against it
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrickbathinyard View Post
Well your lucky, we have just discovered today that there is going to be a enormous 35metre wind turbine errected just off Willows lane, smack bang on the little bit of green belt we have left in this area.

So next time you are up the coppice you should be able to see the turbine, hopefully you won't get one up there.
35m is only a baby turbine, the ones on Ossy moor are 80m to the nacelle and 120m from the ground to the tip of the blade at its highest point
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
OK I didn't say you can't, I said you didn't. Oak is usually left as the standards among which the coppice crop is grown and cut down on a relatively short cycle and the oak can be cut on a longer cycle... sorry it's geting a bit late for lucid explanations...
Well I reckon the dendrological link/explanation for the Coppice is stronger than that of a Dutch description of a hill. Maybe folk on here will correct me but I can't think of any other places near here on the map with links to the land of dykes. And Hollands Pies doesn't count.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..