Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 17:40   #1
Senior Member+

Learn from my mistake

Just thought I would share this info. For the first time ever, I decided to treat myself to a pair of snow boots out of a magazine in a Sunday paper. You could pay before or after, so I chose "after", thought I would rather see what I was paying for. They came on Monday, very nice, but all furry inside and I found I couldn't get my foot in, so decided to return (and perhaps think about trying a larger size). Naa then, they don't tell you how expensive it becomes to RETURN them, do they? I packed them up, put their return label on the parcel, toddled off to the Post Office tonight and was told it would cost £8.50 to return them! Shock, horror! So I have just rung them and politely said its a con. The lady apologised and said I could return them by carrier which would probably be cheaper. She gave me the name of myhermes.co.uk - I have just gone on line, they will collect from your home or ... it said if you wanted to take to the company yourself its a bit cheaper, providing of course there is one near where you live.
Guess what, they have premises in Milnshaw lane in Accrington. Now I have learnt something there, so thought I would pass it on.

Use this link https://www.myhermes.co.uk/send-a-parcel?

Last edited by Atarah; 04-12-2013 at 17:42.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2013, 17:46   #2
God Member

Re: Learn from my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Just thought I would share this info. For the first time ever, I decided to treat myself to a pair of snow boots out of a magazine in a Sunday paper. You could pay before or after, so I chose "after", thought I would rather see what I was paying for. They came on Monday, very nice, but all furry inside and I found I couldn't get my foot in, so decided to return (and perhaps think about trying a larger size). Naa then, they don't tell you how expensive it becomes to RETURN them, do they? I packed them up, put their return label on the parcel, toddled off to the Post Office tonight and was told it would cost £8.50 to return them! Shock, horror! So I have just rung them and politely said its a con. The lady apologised and said I could return them by carrier which would probably be cheaper. She gave me the name www.myhermes.com - I have just gone on line, they will collect from your home or ... it said if you wanted to take to the company yourself its a bit cheaper, providing of course there is one near where you live.
Guess what, they have premises in Milnshaw lane in Accrington. Now I have learnt something there, so thought I would pass it on.
Why would you need winter boots in England If you are desperate, kill a deer, make yourself some mukluks.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 17:58   #3
Senior Member+

Cos I work outdoors for 8 hrs at a time and we have been "promised" real Winter weather, that's why :-)
Old 04-12-2013, 18:10   #4
Senior Member+

I have been conned recently

I sold my Samsung Galaxy S4 via ebay because I wanted to buy a nexus 5. The guy, an Asian from Birmingham paid via paypal and sent an Englishman to pick up the phone. All was ok, so I thought. Two days later I get a non-recipt claim from paypal saying I haven't sent the phone. Days later they awarded him with his money back. Now I owe paypal £300.
Old 04-12-2013, 18:20   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Now I owe paypal £300.
Ouch! One of the reasons I dislike paypal & fleabay.
Old 04-12-2013, 18:22   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
real Winter weather
Like this, eh. My son, who lives there, told me on facebook that he had to wear mitts and a toque when he was jogging this morning. Oh ... and it ain't even friggin' winter yet.

CBC News - Local Weather - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Maybe you should get yourself a toque ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 19:41   #7
Senior Member+

Snow Boots at Boundary Mill £ 7
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 19:48   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Why would you need winter boots in England If you are desperate, kill a deer, make yourself some mukluks.
Can you not remember chilblains? I can, had them every winter as a child, everywhere was cold, bedrooms were cold kitchens were cold, the walk to school was cold, even if the coal fire was left going all night, the windows would have frost on them, (single glazed and rattled in the wind).

Well, now we have the pleasure of central heating, double glazing and if sensible warmer clothing to keep the damp chill we get, away from our toes.

I bet your minus twenty is far drier and more pleasant than a winter full of slush, fog and a temperature just right for everyone (ladies included) to catch Man flu!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:13   #9

If you had ordered them as your usual size and they were not the size then you could send them back as faulty as they were not as advertised. The distance selling regs say you dont have to pay for return postage if the item is faulty only if you have changed you mind. Probably not much use to you now but maybe worth remembering for future reference.

I sent a parcel to uni via myhermes a couple of weeks ago, 2 day delivery took 9 days hope yours gets there faster.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:36   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
snow boots at boundary mill £ 7

oh no!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:51   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you work outside why is your company not provide the ppe you need to do your job?
Old 05-12-2013, 14:05   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:

I sold my Samsung Galaxy S4 via ebay because I wanted to buy a nexus 5. The guy, an Asian from Birmingham paid via paypal and sent an Englishman to pick up the phone. All was ok, so I thought. Two days later I get a non-recipt claim from paypal saying I haven't sent the phone. Days later they awarded him with his money back. Now I owe paypal £300.
Always arrange your own postage/courier then you have the paperwork to back up your despatch of the item to the buyer - you will have a receipt for proof.
Restless likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 14:54   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

Same thing happened to a friend of mine with an xbox.
Old 05-12-2013, 15:56   #14
Resting in Peace

buy local.... simple as that :-)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 16:00   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Learn from my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
buy local.... simple as that :-)
Absolutely if you are going to be disappointed by a product, far better you find it's someone you know that ripped you off.
magpie likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..