Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 15:48   #46
God Member

Re: Bigoted or free speech

SubwayB&Q.jpg
Eric, mobertol and DaveinGermany like this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2014, 16:16   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Does/should free speech include the freedom to promote hatred or "hate speech" as it's commonly referred to ?
Take this, for example, I got it posted to me this morning:

Attachment 40203
This looks like free speech to me. It appears as if the third example is similar to those criticisms aimed by some at welfare recipients ... even those incarcerated in HM prisons. In order for something to be considered a "hate crime", certain specific, well-defined criteria have to be met. I have no doubt that in the UK there are sections of the criminal code which deal with it. This is certainly the case over here:

What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News

For example, it is quite legal to be a holocaust denier ... even write books and pamphlets on the subject. But painting swastikas on Synagogues and promoting violence against Jews are crimes. Free speech is important, but it often deals with controversial topics, and we should not be surprised if some of it offends us.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 17:19   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This looks like free speech to me. It appears as if the third example is similar to those criticisms aimed by some at welfare recipients ... even those incarcerated in HM prisons. In order for something to be considered a "hate crime", certain specific, well-defined criteria have to be met. I have no doubt that in the UK there are sections of the criminal code which deal with it. This is certainly the case over here:

What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News

For example, it is quite legal to be a holocaust denier ... even write books and pamphlets on the subject. But painting swastikas on Synagogues and promoting violence against Jews are crimes. Free speech is important, but it often deals with controversial topics, and we should not be surprised if some of it offends us.
Yes, we (the uk) have a similar criteria that must be met when dealing with "hate speech".
"Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation is forbidden.[1][2][3] Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden.[4] The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."

Hate speech laws in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are either of these "hate speech"?

"Hate speech" seems to be like the good old green medicine, it's illegal but....

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 18:45   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
when a person says ‘I’m not racist, but….….’ and then proceeds to be just that.
To my mind, no matter how much we may deny it to ourselves or those around us, each & everyone of us does have the propensity to be racist to a greater or lesser degree under any given circumstances.

The level however I'd say is dependent on our personal ethics & attitudes, our life experiences, the people we've met & interacted with will also have a bearing on the intensity of that racism.

It's difficult to quantify, there is no black or white but a whole pallet of greys as far as I can see.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:52   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

any news on blackpool zoo's policey on lions ?

not only may they offend a christian but they may well eat one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 17:33   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

"Hate speech" seems to be like the good old green medicine, it's illegal but....
I'm no lawyer ... I leave that to my daughter ... but I believe that some sort of action has to be involved, or incitement to action. Words themselves are not enough. One can freely express a "Pro Life" belief, picket, carry placards, hand out "informative" literature ... all kinds of stuff like that. But to incite, conspire, or commit violent acts on abortion clinics and staff are crimes. So I do believe that inciting others to commit illegal acts against, say, visible minorities, is hate speech. Using derogatory terms to describe such minorities is no crime.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20   #52
Senior Member+

A lot of the legislation for this rubbish came about under Labour's time in office, when political correctness blossomed and was celebrated.
Another good reason to never vote Labour.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48   #53
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
A lot of the legislation for this rubbish came about under Labour's time in office, when political correctness blossomed and was celebrated.
How true, but it doesn't exactly make the Tories, Liberals, BNP or many, many other breeds of pig fitter to rule the trough.

Accyexplorer likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51   #54

Whilst on holiday I've usually visited a local museum and that was the case back in the early 1970s when I took the youngsters to see the army museum in north Wales.

I've just surfed to see if the Welch Fusilliers museum at Carnarfon Castle is still quoting the ancient battles they had with one of their adversaries; the "Fuzzy Wuzzies"..... excepting for "Boxer War" the other campaigns only mention place names.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 21:30   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
i seriously cant remember but who was in charge when they decided to finish building that sweage pipe connecting us to europe..

some folk call it channel tunnel or somat i call it what it is

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 11-05-2014, 09:34   #56
God Member

Another one bites the dust. The BBC have sacked a DJ for playing a song originally penned in 1932.

BBC News - BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe loses job over racist word

A veteran BBC local radio DJ has lost his job after playing a song on his golden oldies show containing a racist word.

BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe, 68, said he was unaware that a 1932 version of The Sun Has Got His Hat On included the n-word.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Another one bites the dust. The BBC have sacked a DJ for playing a song originally penned in 1932.

A veteran BBC local radio DJ has lost his job after playing a song on his golden oldies show containing a racist word.

BBC Radio Devon DJ David Lowe, 68, said he was unaware that a 1932 version of The Sun Has Got His Hat On included the n-word.
A little over the top if you ask me, I didn't even know that song had "the N word" in it.
I wonder how many DJ's have been sacked for playing 50cent or other rap songs that contain "the N word"

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:44   #58
God Member

Quote:

yet they never suspended or sacked their employees when accusations of kiddy feeling were going on until they absolutely had to because jimmy savilles death exposed a lot of people and coverups.

seems to me the BBC will go to any lenghths to cover up and allow child molestation to continue but over react to a word in a song that is on their own playlist.The BBC stored this song on their playlist it wouldnt have been there if the BBC didnt keep it in their playlist so the BBC are at fault for not checking through tehir play lists not the DJ

i hope he fights it..

they still play olivers army though and look....

Quote:
There was a checkpoint charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile
Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white nigger

Last edited by accyman; 11-05-2014 at 10:46.
Old 11-05-2014, 18:34   #59

Read the BBC link in full and you will see the BBC accepted they didn't treat him right and offered him his job back.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 18:53   #60
Beacon of light

That isn't good enough though is it?
The man has had to go through a period of time when he was put through the mill by the BBC. I would be taking legal advice in respect of the dismissal.
This poor chap feels that he cannot return to his job because this incident has aggravated a pre existing condition.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 11-05-2014 at 18:56.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..