Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 21:05   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Delilah

BBC News - We need to drop Delilah song for being too violent, says singer

The claim is that the lyrics glorify domestic violence.

My opinion..its more PC gone mad stuff...

First, its music...it's catchy, it's singable by anyone in the bath/shower or drunk on a karaoke night

Second, to me it's about a guy who catches his missus being unfaithful, kills her and regrets it while waiting for the police to break in and arrest him..it's a cautionary tale.

but I have NEVER, EVER seen this as a glorification or acceptance that its ok to hit a woman..then again I like to consider myself as being able to distinguish between a piece of art and actual realism. Should we destroy some of the works of Botticelli, Picasso or Rubens, smash the Venus De Milo perhaps

Strange how modern pulp crap like Fifty Shades of Grey with its objectification of women with heavy overtones of sado-masochism has been purchased by mainly women...yet thats ok

Oh and it works both ways..

Eric and Barrie Yates like this.

Last edited by Guinness; 12-12-2014 at 21:11.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2014, 21:11   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Delilah

Agree completely its totally gone nuts, utter bollocks imho.
Old 12-12-2014, 22:37   #3
God Member

It's a song for chrissake ... A song is just a song ... well maybe not the "Horst Wessel" thing ... and a black lab called "Nigger" is just a black lab called "Nigger." Merry Christmas y'all ... Or should I say "Happy Holiday."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 23:05   #4

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's a song for chrissake ... A song is just a song ... well maybe not the "Horst Wessel" thing ... and a black lab called "Nigger" is just a black lab called "Nigger." Merry Christmas y'all ... Or should I say "Happy Holiday."
20 years from now......How dare you use the word 'Happy'..this is a clear derogatory reference to people of challenged height. After the destruction of all copies of the distasteful Disney film 'Snow White' in 2032, the words 'dopey', 'sleepy', 'doc', 'grumpy', 'bashful', 'happy' and 'sneezy' were removed from the pan galactic version of the O.E.D., world legislation decreed that use of these words were an anathema in polite society and anyone using them would be summarily executed under the 'sword is mightier than the pen' legislation of 2030
Eric likes this.
Old 13-12-2014, 07:19   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
use of these words were an anathema in polite society and anyone using them would be summarily executed under the 'sword is mightier than the pen' legislation of 2030
That sounds real doubleplusungood.
Guinness likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 13:34   #6

If this is going to happen with 'Delilah' what about all the other zillions of songs representing a supposed violent scenario?

Is it just 'domestic' violence but other violence is okay?

Is it just violence against women, but violence against a man is acceptable?

I too see Delilah as more a cautionary tale than anything else.
Less and cashman like this.
Old 13-12-2014, 13:44   #7
Senior Member+

I have always sensed that conflict in the song - happy chorus about stabbing someone.

Like wise - there are no "blue birds over the white cliffs of dover!"
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 16:14   #8

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Ooops sorry, what I should have said is........ Happy Holidays!

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all... and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual orientation of the wishee.

This wish is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first."Holiday" is not intended to, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).

DISCLAIMER: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting the following terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for the wishee, him/herself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law.
Burningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 17:12   #9
God Member

i suppose these same people think wig wam bam promotes rape and agadoo promotes armed robbery

in that video when teh woman was attacking the man another woman joined in at beating the man lol

imagine how that would go down if a man was beating a woman up and another man joined in and helped beat her up

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-12-2014 at 17:16.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 17:16   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Again here we see some clown who's hard of thinking wishing to apply their moral sensibilities upon the masses. Most folk are smart enough to form their own opinions without having to have their views given to them via a third party, or at least I'd of thought so.

And as to the quote :- "Sir Tom Jones' classic and Welsh rugby anthem Delilah has been labelled inappropriate for rugby crowds over claims it promotes domestic violence." seems a bit far fetched, especially when the main attraction of Rugby is that of 30 Fellas inflicting controlled violence upon one another quite gratuitously for a fixed period of time, mind boggling.
Old 13-12-2014, 17:18   #11
God Member

tom jones's face is an offensive shade of orange but you can hardly say his music is offensive

well ok teh recent stuff has been pretty crap but his classics arnt too bad

didnt he sing burning down the house

promoting arson as well

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 13-12-2014, 18:10   #12
Senior Member+

Did he also promote incest with "mama told me not to come", seems to be a right bad en that Tom Jones.
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 02:24   #13
God Member

someone should send these morons a macc lads album from the 80's period of their carreer

tom jones will be the last thing they think of ever again lol

Old 17-12-2014, 15:22   #14
Full Member+

Sad thing is most DV cases where the man is the victim go unreported
Less likes this.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 08:52   #15
Senior Member+

EyUp were da maclads n were not effin queer we lyk chips n gravy n suppin lots of beer

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..