Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2015, 18:47   #1
Senior Member+

Morrisons

Another going. The Eastgate store staff have apparently been given 12 weeks notice. Apparently the store is not viable and they can't find any other alternatives. Seems ridiculous to me when they must still be paying off the refit costs.
I for one will miss it, use it regularly on my way home.
Old 15-01-2015, 18:58   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Morrisons

Sad will miss my bargain hunt on sundays
Old 15-01-2015, 19:10   #3
Senior Member+

Another one bites the dust

BREAKING: Accrington dealt another blow as Morrisons set to close - Accrington Observer

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 19:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I dont buy the story Morrisons cant find a viable alternative? What wrong wi trying to get the M@S space at a knock down rate? i'm near certain the Arndale owners would consider it, Plus a few years back Morrisons said they want bigger premises, town centre and the car park yon would be ideal imho.
Old 15-01-2015, 20:28   #5

Thats m&s, homebase, morrisons, not much left, and still our idiotic councilors spend our hard earned dollar on a new bus station so we can visit the bookmakers, knock down the centre of town and build a park
BERNADETTE and maxthecollie like this.
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 22:12   #6
God Member

at this rate maundy grange will be the big name retailer in accy

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 00:38   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
Thats m&s, homebase, morrisons, not much left, and still our idiotic councilors spend our hard earned dollar on a new bus station so we can visit the bookmakers, knock down the centre of town and build a park
That's ours idiotic Lancashire County Council Councillors not our idiotic Hyndburn Councillors in case you were wondering.

The bus station is a LCC plan although if I remember correctly several HBC councillors and our MP agreed we needed a new bus station but not all of them agreed it should be going where it is
Old 16-01-2015, 15:09   #8
Senior Member+

Rumours have it that b+m is going where homebase is
Old 16-01-2015, 15:14   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That's ours idiotic Lancashire County Council Councillors not our idiotic Hyndburn Councillors in case you were wondering.
No point beating up either HBC or LCC about Morrisons, all financial anylists have them as the worst performing major supermarket over the Christmas period. Badly run with changes being made at the top.

They are closing 20 loss making stores.

The 2008/2009 recession forced people into Aldi and Lidl and, once there, shoppers realised that the food is actually quite good (well, when tallied up against the big 4), and that you can get a lot more for your money.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 15:38   #10
Beacon of light

That is the economic reality biting.
If there is somewhere selling stuff cheaply, then people will buy there......and once a shopper is won, mainly price will dictate that they stay until there is somewhere cheaper.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 15:56   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
No point beating up either HBC or LCC about Morrisons, all financial anylists have them as the worst performing major supermarket over the Christmas period. Badly run with changes being made at the top.

They are closing 20 loss making stores.

The 2008/2009 recession forced people into Aldi and Lidl and, once there, shoppers realised that the food is actually quite good (well, when tallied up against the big 4), and that you can get a lot more for your money.
I was talking about the bus station sorry for the confusion
Old 16-01-2015, 16:07   #12
Senior Member+

I remember going to look in Aldi when they first opened- 1990? You did feel like you were roughing it a bit.
Not any more! The quality is good and the prices astonishing and the stores have improved.
Makes you wonder why if the big four charge as they do they aren't making an enormous profit. Enough to keep less profitable stores open.
Incidentally one of the brothers who started Aldi became the richest man on Germany- and that's rich.
wadey likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 17:20   #13
Senior Member+

Re the idea of them moving to M&S I don't think there is much difference in the size of the stores, and the trail to the car-park in the Arndale ( which is bizarrely still busy) might have put Morrisons off. That and the stupidly high rent they were no doubt quoted....
Old 18-01-2015, 22:24   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Re the idea of them moving to M&S I don't think there is much difference in the size of the stores, and the trail to the car-park in the Arndale ( which is bizarrely still busy) might have put Morrisons off. That and the stupidly high rent they were no doubt quoted....
You know they asked Linds?
Old 19-01-2015, 12:28   #15
Senior Member+

No, don't know if they asked about the unit but can guarantee that if they did they wouldn't get the preferential rates that M&S have enjoyed for years!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..