Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2015, 18:54   #1
God Member

will it happen or not ...

Cameron says we will get a EU referendum in 2 years

do we think it will happen

everyone seems down about a tory victory but if this referendum happens at least theres some good out of it

it was never going to happen under labour and may not even happen under tory but at least they seem to be offering it for now

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2015, 19:04   #2
Beacon of light

Re: will it happen or not ...

It might happen, but this doesn't mean that David Cameron is obligated to follow the wishes of the electorate if they voted 'NO'......he could just ignore the result.

It should not be in 2 years, we will be ever deeper mired in directives from Brussels by then.
We should have been voting yesterday......save all the expense of another ballot.......and who knows the turnout for the general election might have been even better.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 19:06   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
at least they seem to be offering it for now
Offering is one thing, delivering is another! And I seem to recall, we've been here before with call me Dave!

Cynical, sceptical, moi?
Old 08-05-2015, 19:10   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have NEVER trusted a Tory since Harold McMillan stood up in parliament and said Kim Philby was not the 3rd man and was innocent, It was the old "jobs fer the boys" and support the university boys. Philby it turned out was responsible for the deaths of 100s.

Last edited by cashman; 08-05-2015 at 19:18.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 19:14   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Cameron says we will get a EU referendum in 2 years

do we think it will happen

everyone seems down about a tory victory but if this referendum happens at least theres some good out of it
Everyone?? What about the 11.3 million who voted for them??

I'm sure there'll have to be a referendum but we've got to think politician talk here.
Will you be able to put a cross against 'In' or 'Out' or will there be some clever wording which leaves your vote open to interpretation, manoeuvre, misinterpretation?
I'm not a politician but how about 'Are you satisfied David Cameron has achieved a satisfactory negotiation with the EU? Yes or No'.
I'm sure the Tory think tanks will do better than that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 19:33   #6
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Offering is one thing, delivering is another! And I seem to recall, we've been here before with call me Dave!

Cynical, sceptical, moi?
You must get that trait from me son!
US Angel and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:35   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I have NEVER trusted a Tory since Harold McMillan stood up in parliament and said Kim Philby was not the 3rd man and was innocent, It was the old "jobs fer the boys" and support the university boys. Philby it turned out was responsible for the deaths of 100s.
I just don't trust politicians of ANY persuasion.
None of them have our interests at heart.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:36   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I just don't trust politicians of ANY persuasion.
None of them have our interests at heart.
Oh i agree, but covering for a man responsible fer many many deaths, go's beyond that imho. The covering would never have been if a working class chap had been responsible.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:39   #9
Beacon of light

I am pretty sure that the indiscretions(or crimes as some of us tend to think of them)of Tony Blair can come close to that.....and still he proclaims himself to be innocent.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:41   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the indiscretions(or crimes as some of us tend to think of them)of Tony Blair can come close to that.....and still he proclaims himself to be innocent.
And Tony's score still goes up by hundreds a day.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:44   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
No doubt about that either, Blair should to me be charged wi war crimes, but he betrayed the public to me, Philby betrayed his country.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:46   #12
Beacon of light

Yes, they do because he(with his ill thought out actions) de-stabilised the Middle East.
Yet he is supposed to be the Middle East Peace envoy.
Peace! Huh.....he wouldn't know peace if it jumped up and bit him on the bum.
This egomaniacal man is only interested in making his millions and going down in history books.
He WILL go down in the history books but for all the wrong reasons.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:49   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
No doubt about that either, Blair should to me be charged wi war crimes, but he betrayed the public to me, Philby betrayed his country.
Tony Blair betrayed the country too....by not listening to the public....who demonstrated in their tens of thousands over the conflict......and even if he hadn't betrayed the country, men, women and children lost their lives for his hubristic ideals......and the reputation of the country in international circles went down in spades.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:54   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Any man who lies to Parliament and the public and by those lies involves their country in a war which costs many thousands of lives and billions of pounds is betraying that country.

As for Philby, I doubt if at that point McMillan or any of those who should have known actually did know what had been going on.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:56   #15

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Agree in principle about trusting the Torys but even a PM can only act on information supplied to him at the time....

MI6 had 'blind faith? in Kim Philby for years after Soviet agent fears - Telegraph

It's like some Labour guy making a statement about 95% of the people not caring about being in Europe after being told this by an unpaid intern (who would love a zero hours contract where he would be paid for hours worked)..and then mysteriously refusing to comment once its discovered as total manure..and probably one of the main reasons that so many voters nationally told his party to go screw themselves

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..