Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2015, 21:04   #61
Beacon of light

Re: How the mighty has fallen

Dianne it does seem that many of those members who now use Facebook no longer come on here.
After all there are only so many hours in a day and you cannot be as committed to,two,sites as you can be to one......and I know that may not apply to everyone....but most people have other responsibilities.
Horses for courses.... I guess it depends what you want from a site.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2015, 21:17   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Dianne it does seem that many of those members who now use Facebook no longer come on here.
After all there are only so many hours in a day and you cannot be as committed to,two,sites as you can be to one......and I know that may not apply to everyone....but most people have other responsibilities.
Horses for courses.... I guess it depends what you want from a site.
That's true obviously - I think so many people are on FB now that a local group on there, which will come onto your "feed" with the latest posts, is the easier option for many people. In my case, as admin. there, it is my priority - like yourself family matters have been limiting my time for the last 6 months or so and it has become more difficult to dedicate time to both, though I would like to be able to...
There was never any intention to set one group against another however - I hope that is clear - they are both valid in their own way and have their own place.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 21:37   #63
Beacon of light

There has never been any doubt about the validity of both groups......and it is a personal choice as to which gets the most input if you happen to belong to both groups.
Everyone uses the forum for their own needs....to get out of it what satisfies them.

For me, I prefer Accyweb...and right now I only have time for one mistress(sometimes not even that).
Old 27-05-2015, 23:43   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
That sounds like a paragraph from one of those self help books that network marketing love so much.

No. It is purely from experience - being responsible for major projects during my service in the RAF and subsequently in overseas locations with multi national workforces overseas, including the total airfield electronics fit and associated building construction on the largest air base outside the USA/USSR at the time. The use of flow charts and Critical Path analysis is essential - even for the smaller tasks.
Management must always take the responsibility both for success and failure. Management hires the workforce and supervises it, if it doesn't then it is not managing the task.
Old 28-05-2015, 02:23   #65

I have been invited on several occasions to join Facebook but as it is of no interest to me I have always declined. However, although it is not my cup of tea I see no reason to speak against it. If it’s what others want then let them enjoy it. Several of my family are members and get a lot of enjoyment and use out of it.

For instance, when my youngest daughter was living in the UK she was able to get in touch again with many of her old school friends, get up-to-date with what they were doing and vice versa. Now she is back in Australia she is able to easily keep in touch with all the friends she made in Glasgow.

It's just not for me - nor do I go on Twitter. Not interested. However, I greatly enjoy my regular drop-in to Accyweb and that’s where I’ll stay, love it!

By the way, can you please enlighten us, Morecambe Ex Pat, as to how you know the team you are employing are spending so much time on Facebook if they are not working near you? Just asking. Forget the beer and ra ra – stop the pay cheques, that will get their attention quick smart. Initially you should have inserted a penalty clause in their contracts – hopefully you will have learnt from this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 05:33   #66
Beacon of light

Dotti, those are my sentiments exactly regarding Facebook.
I do not tweet or Twitter, I do not use a mobile phone much.....yes, I have one, but it is in my bag switched off until I want to phone a taxi,or a family member to pick me up from where ever I might have got to.
I use what suits me.....not what a large proportion of the population use.
I too have family scattered across the world, but we use email to keep in touch....and that does for me.
Old 28-05-2015, 07:02   #67

Have to say Margaret that I resisted a mobile phone for a long time. But now there are so few public phones left and this makes a person up the proverbial creek without a paddle if they need to contact someone when out and about. So, for this reason only, I succumbed.

However, I use my phone only for making and receiving calls and messages – I am not interested in all the gadgets that some people have on theirs. I also make sure I use it at the appropriate time and place. Privately!!!!

They have become an obsession with so many people and it beggars belief those who cry poor but can still manage to have the latest in phones. The way some people use them I think the mobile phone has to be one of the most anti-social pieces of equipment ever invented.

Sorry, I’ve wandered off thread…..
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 07:04   #68
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
I have been invited on several occasions to join Facebook but as it is of no interest to me I have always declined. However, although it is not my cup of tea I see no reason to speak against it. If it’s what others want then let them enjoy it. Several of my family are members and get a lot of enjoyment and use out of it.

For instance, when my youngest daughter was living in the UK she was able to get in touch again with many of her old school friends, get up-to-date with what they were doing and vice versa. Now she is back in Australia she is able to easily keep in touch with all the friends she made in Glasgow.

It's just not for me - nor do I go on Twitter. Not interested. However, I greatly enjoy my regular drop-in to Accyweb and that’s where I’ll stay, love it!

By the way, can you please enlighten us, Morecambe Ex Pat, as to how you know the team you are employing are spending so much time on Facebook if they are not working near you? Just asking. Forget the beer and ra ra – stop the pay cheques, that will get their attention quick smart. Initially you should have inserted a penalty clause in their contracts – hopefully you will have learnt from this.
I know they are using Facebook because each time they post, it appears on my timeline, yes I do use Facebook although I am not all that keen on it.
There have been no pay checks as it is a payment on completion and this is looking increasingly less likely to be achieved.

As for Hyndburn Chat, I hadn't realised that I had been banned as I have not been back, this is the first time I have ever been banned from any kind of interactive site.

I am surprised that I was not contacted directly and asked to apologise for my comments which some members found offensive.

I wish the group well and hope you get much enjoyment out of it, I never said I didn't actually like the group.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 08:11   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Dotti, those are my sentiments exactly regarding Facebook.
I do not tweet or Twitter, I do not use a mobile phone much.....yes, I have one, but it is in my bag switched off until I want to phone a taxi,or a family member to pick me up from where ever I might have got to.
I use what suits me.....not what a large proportion of the population use.
I too have family scattered across the world, but we use email to keep in touch....and that does for me.
Facetime Margaret, a wonderful part of the ever changing social media. We use it to keep in touch with my son and family in the US. A 20 minute call last weekend from our shed on wheels in the Principality allowed us to see and talk to my granddaughters and about their coming trip over here. All free. We even got taken into the basement to see Milly the rabbit !! My UK gkids keep in touch with their US cousins via FT too.
Hell I even use it to say "Night Night to Mrs P when I am on my travels"
Romantic and sentimental old me
cashman, mobertol and Big Dave like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 12:04   #70
Beacon of light

I have an Ipad and an Ipad mini...but I have never used facetime.
Maybe it isn't possible on my machines because they are wifi rather than cellular...but I don't know because I have never tried.
I don't think I would use it anyway as I cannot imagine having my fizzog on someones screen.
E-mail suits me just fine.......and when there is a crisis I do resort the the phone...landline that is.

Dotti, like you I resisted having a mobile phone, but when I was working I would sometimes get off duty very late and my family wanted me to be able to contact them so that they knew I was safe......so even back then I only ever used it to say 'I'm setting off for home or I will be at least another hour...eat without me'.
I do not feel the need to be constantly connected to the world and his wife....and my phone is for my convenience.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 28-05-2015, 12:13   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I only got a mobile so if the boss was out in the car, she could contact me if need arose, in other words i was badgered into getting one. I do use it, but only very rarely n texts are even rarer, its just a bog standard mobile wi no fancy gadgets, which truthfully is more than i want anyway.
Old 28-05-2015, 13:25   #72

Although I have an iPad, most of my Internet input, including AccyWeb, is done via my phone. I wouldn't be without it.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 13:51   #73
Senior Member+

Hadn't heard of Facetime, not using Apple products.
Is Skype out of fashion now? I tried it a while ago and thought it quite good.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:46   #74
Senior Member+

Back to thread- The Observer.
It might not be a good read but is still good 'lavvy paper'?
As I remember the texture was better than the LET!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 15:01   #75
Beacon of light

I prefer softer stuff for my BTM.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..