Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2015, 07:51   #1
Senior Member+

Beware of booking holiday cottages through trip advisor

Just look at my review on
Holiday Cottage, Rhosneigr, Anglesey, North wales - Rhosneigr Holiday Cottages - TripAdvisor
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2015, 08:03   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Beware of booking holiday cottages through trip advisor

Looks very grim mate, always n idea to read reviews before booking, even if yeh been before, things sometimes obviously change.
Old 29-05-2015, 08:06   #3
Senior Member+

I had read a previous review and contacted the owner just after we sent the deposit and he said it was sour grapes from a competitor. Just after we paid the balance another bad review appeared. Now we have seen it for ourselves and I am chasing the owner for a refund. He said we should have contacted him whist we were there but we had no mobile signal.
Old 29-05-2015, 10:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I had read a previous review and contacted the owner just after we sent the deposit and he said it was sour grapes from a competitor. Just after we paid the balance another bad review appeared. Now we have seen it for ourselves and I am chasing the owner for a refund. He said we should have contacted him whist we were there but we had no mobile signal.
Saying you should have contacted him while you were there sounds like he is looking for a get-out in not giving you a refund.
cashman and maxthecollie like this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 13:06   #5
Full Member+

So sorry to hear of your ruined holiday Maxthecollie. We have been self catering many times and we have never had this sort of experience thank goodness. We have not used Trip Advisor though. I have looked on that site when we have been going to a hotel we have not been to before but have always found the reports were not accurate. I think some folk like to look for faults. Obviously in this case the reports were correct. Telling you you should have reported it while you were there is not much use when there is no signal which he must know. I sincerely hope you get a substantial refund.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 13:15   #6
Beacon of light

Post your pictures on trip advisor....It is so that others can see that this a true report and not one from another competitor with an intention to deter travellers.
I have used the reviews from trip advisor many many times and have found that some reviewers want five star treatment at one star prices.
I have been to places that had dismal reviews to find them perfectly acceptable.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 13:33   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Post your pictures on trip advisor....It is so that others can see that this a true report and not one from another competitor with an intention to deter travellers.
I have used the reviews from trip advisor many many times and have found that some reviewers want five star treatment at one star prices.
I have been to places that had dismal reviews to find them perfectly acceptable.
I have posted my pics and review on trip advisor. It's a pity I can only post 10 pics as I have loads more. The owner has not done anything to rectify faults reviewed by other trip advisor guests going abck quite a while.
Old 29-05-2015, 14:37   #8
God Member

I once salvaged a holiday disaster.
The hotel (in Corfu) was so atrociously bad, we moved out after one night; found another hotel, and (on return) successfully sued (small claims court) the tour operator for the cost of the 2nd hotel.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 16:12   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I once salvaged a holiday disaster.
The hotel (in Corfu) was so atrociously bad, we moved out after one night; found another hotel, and (on return) successfully sued (small claims court) the tour operator for the cost of the 2nd hotel.
Good on ya Margaret. I am waiting for the owner's reply to my email asking for compensation.I have given him 7 days to reply
Old 29-05-2015, 17:32   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Good on ya Margaret. I am waiting for the owner's reply to my email asking for compensation.I have given him 7 days to reply
I wouldn't hold your breath, looks like he only responds to positive feedback!
Old 29-05-2015, 19:22   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath, looks like he only responds to positive feedback!
The owner has replied he will not compensate me because I did not ring him from the cottage on the first day although we had no signal.
Old 29-05-2015, 20:01   #12
Beacon of light

tell him you will be taking the issue up with the small claims court...see if that makes him have a rethink.
AccyMad likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 20:36   #13

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Over the past few years I've booked many cottage holidays in Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England through various websites, most of them lead to a medium sized unit in Earby near Skipton.

From time to time I've had problems, and when I have, contacting the agent instead of the owner has always led to a positive result, in one case where an owner tried to claim for damages I left the matter in the agents hands and received a polite email telling me that they would sort it and that was that.

All of the cottages have a visitors book that the agents read for adverse comments so that they can upgrade/downgrade the ratings accordingly for next year, so it's in the interest of the owners to be top notch.

No doubt I paid a few extra quid than you..but..you get what you pay for..peace of mind and a better, more relaxed, break away from home

Who needs trip advisor?
Old 29-05-2015, 20:45   #14
Senior Member+

Cottages4you Guinness?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 20:48   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Over the past few years I've booked many cottage holidays in Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England through various websites, most of them lead to a medium sized unit in Earby near Skipton.

From time to time I've had problems, and when I have, contacting the agent instead of the owner has always led to a positive result, in one case where an owner tried to claim for damages I left the matter in the agents hands and received a polite email telling me that they would sort it and that was that.

All of the cottages have a visitors book that the agents read for adverse comments so that they can upgrade/downgrade the ratings accordingly for next year, so it's in the interest of the owners to be top notch.

No doubt I paid a few extra quid than you..but..you get what you pay for..peace of mind and a better, more relaxed, break away from home

Who needs trip advisor?
All the companies in there are now owned by Hoseasons

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..