Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2015, 11:14   #1
Resting in Peace

The joys of RE-cycling??

If you are thinking of visiting the Whinney Hill site to dump any household rubbish you need to try to acquaint yourself with the new, fiendishly complicated rules which apply from yesterday. Otherwise, you stand a very good chance of being turned away and having to bring your load back home. If you can understand the explanatory(?) leaflet which was given to my next door neighbour when being turned away yesterday you are a better man than me! Looking at the rules for Ribble Valley online it would appear that LCC, who also administer their Clitheroe site give them much more leeway. Here, what with 12 monthly permits required for "inert waste", monthly permits for general "household waste", and a limit of 10 bags per year allowed, etc, etc, etc it seems our Hyndburn jobsworths are intent on inviting us to fill the town with even more fly tipping eyesores than we have already.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2015, 11:26   #2

Re: The joys of RE-cycling??

I haven't seen any leaflets about new rules. I disposed of some garden waste last week. Is this now affected by new rules?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:32   #3
Senior Member+

The joys of RE-cycling??

I was under the impression it was just soil/hardcore & plasterboard skips that you needed a permit for (10 bags per year), all other skips are unchanged, has that changed now?
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I went up yon yesterday, wi a load of cardboard plus other stuff, all i encountered was a guy nosing in me boot, no-one said out n i was given no leaflet?
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27   #5

From their website this morning.

Types of waste our recycling centres accept - Lancashire County Council

Following the links, it seems you only need a permit if you are using a van, certain types of commercial vehicles or a trailer.

Last edited by Michael1954; 02-06-2015 at 12:30.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:50   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
From their website this morning.

Types of waste our recycling centres accept - Lancashire County Council

Following the links, it seems you only need a permit if you are using a van, certain types of commercial vehicles or a trailer.
It mentions in that link that an inert permit is needed for rubble, hardcore, plaster & plasterboard.
Needing a permit for a van is nothing new, but in the leaflet I got a while back it mentioned that taking rubble, hardcore etc. in a trailer would incur a charge (£17.50 I think)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:52   #7
Senior Member+

And if you follow the inert waste permit link, it takes you here - Apply for a waste permit - Lancashire County Council which suggests you might now need permits for everything.
Old 02-06-2015, 13:32   #8
Resting in Peace

The rules are a nightmare to understand. All I know is that my neighbour was spitting feathers after being refused permission to dump a few ceramic tiles plus a bucket full of soil, and had to return home with them. Wonderful.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 14:28   #9
Senior Member+

I went to Whinney Hill about a month ago - general rubbish, black bin stuff and small electrical items. No problem and I was given a leaflet which covered rubble, builder's material stc. but no mention of restrictions for other types of waste.
Unless the Lancashire County Council document (Apply for a waste permit - Lancashire County Council), is a badly worded document then it is inevitable that there will be an increase in fly-tipping - is that what LCC/HBC want?
Yet another example of how our elected representatives can screw up once again.
Redraine and cashman like this.
Old 02-06-2015, 15:06   #10
Beacon of light

My husband took a huge bag of nails(removed from pallets) and a brass fire front...grate style thing.
I thought that metals were sought after and sold....these were just chucked in a general waste skip.....not recycled!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 15:15   #11
Senior Member+

There is a skip there just for scrap metal but if you have a lot it`s worth taking round to the metal recyclers in Huncoat and you`ll get a bit of dosh for it.
Old 02-06-2015, 15:35   #12
Beacon of light

He said there was a skip for metal, but that neither the nails nor the brass fire front went in it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 17:09   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My husband took a huge bag of nails(removed from pallets) and a brass fire front...grate style thing.
I thought that metals were sought after and sold....these were just chucked in a general waste skip.....not recycled!
yup theres a big skip that says metal on it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 17:14   #14
God Member

everything that goes through SITAS's gates is sold by them from the rubble to your laptop or TV or even your old iron or hi-fi , sofa etc ( you get the picture)

i find it rather galling for them to charge you to give them something they are going to sell and make money on

dealers in the area pay a monthly fee for what they call the brick a brack cabin where they help themselves to anything they want and then sell the stuff in their shops or flea markets

nothing against a company making money out of peoples unwanted items but to charge people for the pleasure of allowing said company to make money from them is a bit rich

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 17:16   #15
Senior Member+

I have always found the different skips etc. to be clearly identified and the staff there have always been most helpful.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..