Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2015, 08:37   #31
God Member

Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Ok they have guest beers…which once again you can buy much cheaper at any supermarket…
Even in the days of proper pubs I'm pretty sure beer was still cheaper at the 'offy'
stanley convert likes this.
Old 28-06-2015, 13:37   #32
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Guinness;1143499
Ok they have guest beers…which once again you can buy much cheaper at any supermarket…

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Even in the days of proper pubs I'm pretty sure beer was still cheaper at the 'offy'
True that dave...sitting at home on your lonesome with only your troll collection for company raising a glass of Crudgington's finest and congratulating yourself on how cheap it was at Aldo doesn't really fly for
me.
Give me a pub (any pub) anytime.
And don't get me started on those tightwads who sneak their own booze into pubs and restaurants, happy to use the facilities but not prepared to pay. Hrrrmphh

The place hasn't even open yet and the naysayers are knocking it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll 2.jpg (21.6 KB, 21 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 17:50   #33
Senior Member+

I enjoy a few pints a week in the Read Con.
We get a card stamped with every pint.
Ten stamps free pint. Members only.
Good local company no trouble friendly atmosphere, why sit at home ignoring the soaps.
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 28-06-2015, 21:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'm there!
And a cheeky stroll through Owd Bob's and St Chrises link path and you're at the hallowed Crown Ground!! I may well be sampling a few of these ales pre-match, especially as the missus gets 20% off at Marstons pubs!!

Good on them for trying to bring something new to the town I say and hope it's a roaring success.
Old 29-06-2015, 13:24   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
And a cheeky stroll through Owd Bob's and St Chrises link path and you're at the hallowed Crown Ground!! I may well be sampling a few of these ales pre-match, especially as the missus gets 20% off at Marstons pubs!!

Good on them for trying to bring something new to the town I say and hope it's a roaring success.
Don't be sampling too many before a game chuck, that path that leads to the Crown is uphill you know
Wynonie Harris likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 14:05   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Don't be sampling too many before a game chuck, that path that leads to the Crown is uphill you know
And leave some room to try whatever real ale William and Em's have on up @ Crown. They have had a few good ones on over the last few months.
Big Dave likes this.
Old 29-06-2015, 19:59   #37

Guinness I think we all know your thoughts about pubs ...ale houses or whatever you want to call them and in some respects it,s a shame that there are not many of them left but to run a pub selling just ale these days would not last 2 minutes,times have a changed my friend long gone are the days where the little woman stayad at home with the brats while hubby spent his time in the local and having his Sunday dinner brought to him. Going to the pub for lunch these days is a family affair as believe it or not I think we are much more sociable creatures as family time is precious these days.
Anyway each to their own but plastic micro food seems to be very popular ....mother redcap...packed Bentley wood ....packed Game cock....packed sycamore farm...packed do I need to go on, by the way how do you microwave a sirlion steak cant find it in me recipe book anywhere.
We know from your posts that you are never likely to step over the doorstep of the Brickworks but that,s your choice but can you not be happy to see something new come to Accrington and also for the people who have managed to secure a job with a company that has been willing to spend a large amount of money transforming the site into what it is now

Anyway got to go now cos the little woman is donkey stoning the front step
cashman and Barrie Yates like this.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 20:59   #38
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
Guinness I think we all know your thoughts about pubs ...ale houses or whatever you want to call them and in some respects it,s a shame that there are not many of them left but to run a pub selling just ale these days would not last 2 minutes,times have a changed my friend long gone are the days where the little woman stayad at home with the brats while hubby spent his time in the local and having his Sunday dinner brought to him. Going to the pub for lunch these days is a family affair as believe it or not I think we are much more sociable creatures as family time is precious these days.
Anyway each to their own but plastic micro food seems to be very popular ....mother redcap...packed Bentley wood ....packed Game cock....packed sycamore farm...packed do I need to go on, by the way how do you microwave a sirlion steak cant find it in me recipe book anywhere.
We know from your posts that you are never likely to step over the doorstep of the Brickworks but that,s your choice but can you not be happy to see something new come to Accrington and also for the people who have managed to secure a job with a company that has been willing to spend a large amount of money transforming the site into what it is now

Anyway got to go now cos the little woman is donkey stoning the front step
What I want to know is......where did she get the donkey stone?
Sorry. I'll get my coat!
stanley convert and Eric like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 21:08   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
What I want to know is......where did she get the donkey stone?
Sorry. I'll get my coat!
Stanley convert is a man who thinks ahead- he bought her 500 as a wedding present to go with that nice brass 'posser' she still treasures!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 21:22   #40
Senior Member+

I recently went into one of the pub/eateries and my visit was spoilt by uncontrollable brats running around screaming while the parents were taking not one jot of notice.
Brats = four to ten year old people.
I Like a pint and a good old natter with like minded mates without having to ask my comrades to repeat their words I didn't hear because of the screaming brats.
Old 29-06-2015, 21:24   #41
Beacon of light

A man with so much foresight should be treasured...they are a rarity
Old 29-06-2015, 21:27   #42
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I recently went into one of the pub/eateries and my visit was spoilt by uncontrollable brats running around screaming while the parents were taking not one jot of notice.
Brats = four to ten year old people.
I Like a pint and a good old natter with like minded mates without having to ask my comrades to repeat their words I didn't hear because of the screaming brats.
I have to say that I like children......fried,boiled, fricasseed, stewed, done on a spit...haven't tried a microwaved one ....yet....and I can never eat a full one.
cashman and Gremlin like this.
Old 29-06-2015, 21:56   #43
Senior Member+

I find it strange that one bad experience should determine one's attitude.
Never experienced "brats" running around screaming in any of the gastropubs that I have been in, perhaps I have just been lucky. In fact the worst behaved children in a pub I have experienced have been in the Queen's on a Sunday lunchtime trying to watch the football.
Old 29-06-2015, 23:05   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I find it strange that one bad experience should determine one's attitude.
Never experienced "brats" running around screaming in any of the gastropubs that I have been in, perhaps I have just been lucky. In fact the worst behaved children in a pub I have experienced have been in the Queen's on a Sunday lunchtime trying to watch the football.
Brats running around screaming Barry?
Try the Swan on a Friday night.....not one of em is a day under 25
Old 30-06-2015, 08:05   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Brats running around screaming Barry?
Try the Swan on a Friday night.....not one of em is a day under 25
Went in there a year or so ago - we took 3 or 4 steps inside, turned round and went into Grant's which was fine.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..