Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2015, 07:53   #91
Super Moderator

Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I had the misfortune to go in this particular Wetherspoons several years ago (I believe it's the Eric Bartholomew). The food was poor and served lukewarm. When the waiter was collecting the plates at the end of the meal, he asked how the meal was. I told him and was met with total indifference. I haven't set foot in a Wetherspoons since. They're crap.
Best stick to the bingo.
Michael1954 likes this.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55   #92

The waiter in question couldn't care less. He just asked how the meal was, I told him, and he just walked away without comment. What's the point of asking how the meal was if you're not interested in the response?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Best stick to the bingo.
By heck, you can't beat a session of housey, housey!
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:57   #94
Senior Member+

Has an opening day been announced yet?
I'm waiting in anticipation for reports from the eager diners.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
There are better restaurants and pubs around serving good food.
I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge of restaurants/pubs in Accrington that serve good food but with some gluten free dishes on the menu. Thanking you in anticipation.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:32   #96
Beacon of light

Well that is entirely your choice of course, but I think it unfair of you to damn a whole range of these outlets if you(as you said) have not visited one for several years.
They are what they are.....a pub that sells food at competitive prices.....whether that food meets your standards depends I guess on how hungry you are and how much money you can afford to spend.
For myself, I choose to use them now and again because the food is a known quantity.
I have been in some higher end places and been equally disappointed because the food has not been to my taste(the food was probably great for someone else, but didn't do it for me).
Horses for courses!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39   #97
Beacon of light

Quote:
The waiter in question couldn't care less. He just asked how the meal was, I told him, and he just walked away without comment. What's the point of asking how the meal was if you're not interested in the response?
You didn't go about making your feelings felt in the right way.
The waiters and waitresses are told to ask this question.....not sure what they are told to do about any negative responses.
When your food arrived and it fell below your expectations.....that is when you should have taken it back and asked them to do something about it.
When you have polished off the grub, there is no evidence to prove that what you are saying is true....though, in my day working in a shop...the customer was always right.
Most establishments will respond in situations like this with an offer of a replacement, or a refund.....and I have seen this happen once in Southport.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The waiters and waitresses are told to ask this question.....not sure what they are told to do about any negative responses.
When your food arrived and it fell below your expectations.....that is when you should have taken it back and asked them to do something about it.
When you have polished off the grub, there is no evidence to prove that what you are saying is true....though, in my day working in a shop...the customer was always right.
Most establishments will respond in situations like this with an offer of a replacement, or a refund.....and I have seen this happen once in Southport.
It doesn't matter now. This was several years ago and, as I said, I won't be going back as I have found better restaurants and pubs. For years mum and I went to the same hotel in Blackpool and enjoyed it. However, one year we got food poisoning. Needless to say, we haven't been back since. They only need to slip up once we me and they lose a customer!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:55   #99

Quote:
Well that is entirely your choice of course, but I think it unfair of you to damn a whole range of these outlets if you(as you said) have not visited one for several years.
They are what they are.....a pub that sells food at competitive prices.....whether that food meets your standards depends I guess on how hungry you are and how much money you can afford to spend.
For myself, I choose to use them now and again because the food is a known quantity.
I have been in some higher end places and been equally disappointed because the food has not been to my taste(the food was probably great for someone else, but didn't do it for me).
Horses for courses!
Horses for courses indeed. You have been disappointed as have I.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:58   #100

Quote:
Well they should know what to do, rather than just asking token questions.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13   #101
Senior Member+

You pays your money and you makes your choice. Don't like it? Don't do it.
If these 'pubs' weren't selling food( or basic 'fuel' in some cases) they wouldn't be selling ale either, they wouldn't exist and neither would many of the old pubs which survive by doing food.
Then all those screaming kids would end up joining you in your favourite old traditional pub or restaurant!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:29   #102
Senior Member+

I`m looking forward to it opening, it`s walking distance from where I live so will save me a drive to Harvester or Sycamore Farm.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:46   #103
Junior Member+

The days of the old style pubs with a snug ..only crisps and peanuts to eat and no kids are gone ....and I grew up in one of these establishments so I remember only to well that the rosie glow of the past wasnt that great.....wives at home dreading the front door opening...children left outside with pop and crisps....men's dinner being brought to the pub.....it all went on so maybe these new types of establishments are not such a bad idea after all....with respect always
beautifuldreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge of restaurants/pubs in Accrington that serve good food but with some gluten free dishes on the menu. Thanking you in anticipation.
Unfortunately I can't do that as I very rarely visit Accrington, not since I stopped working there in 1982. Now if you could recommend some good Accy pubs and restaurants I might have cause to visit Accrington more frequently.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Last edited by Michael1954; 07-07-2015 at 10:54.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51   #105
Junior Member+

yes The Brickworks
beautifuldreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..