Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53   #106
I am Banned

Re: New pub opening .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge of restaurants/pubs in Accrington that serve good food but with some gluten free dishes on the menu. Thanking you in anticipation.
The Park Inn on Manchester Road has a growing reputation for good pub gruband ales Barrie. Not yet got any gluten free on the menu though, Mrs P did ask as our well behaved gkids* coming over from the US in August and our Em's has ceoliac disease. The big problem in smaller places is cross contamination from cooking equipment. We have just bought Em's her own toaster for the visit. We are all going gluten free for the duration.
Pics from there last Thursday. No complaints about my gammon and Mrs P wolfed down her fish n chips without a murmur.

Only problem was some munters feeding some of their fish to the pub cat. Great way to teach it to beg at tables and not be catching mice !!.

* Well behaved as in when they are out with Grandad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gammon 2.jpg (334.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg F & C.jpg (351.2 KB, 16 views)
Barrie Yates and Stevie R like this.

Last edited by DtheP47; 07-07-2015 at 10:56.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2015, 11:12   #107
Senior Member+

New pub opening .

Best place I've been recently was Pendle inn in barley, went on Sunday. It was a bit dearer than harvester and sycamore farm but portions were bigger.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16   #108
Senior Member+

I've just made a commitment to my two lovely cleaning ladies.
I promised to take them to the new Brick pub when it opens.
Condition, one drives, I pay and just try the ale.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21   #109
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I've just made a commitment to my two lovely cleaning ladies.
I promised to take them to the new Brick pub when it opens.
Condition, one drives, I pay and just try the ale.
That sounds like a great deal.
Let us know how you fare.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:40   #110
Senior Member+

That is the problem D, we don't know of any other pub in Accrington that is OK for someone who is a diagnosed Coeliac, therefore we use the Commercial when in town shopping.
We get around the toaster problem with Toaster Bags for the Boss. She has used them for years and has never experienced a problem. Cross contamination is always a major factor and is more likely in a small kitchen and untrained staff - we have had one problem in Weatherspoons which was the then newly opened one in Fleetwood.
There is a web site that lists many places that serve GF meals. If you want the address let me know - even fish & chip shops are listed.
Old 07-07-2015, 21:22   #111
I am Banned

Quote:
That is the problem D, we don't know of any other pub in Accrington that is OK for someone who is a diagnosed Coeliac,
There is a web site that lists many places that serve GF meals. If you want the address let me know - even fish & chip shops are listed.
Yes please Barrie if you would PM me the link it would be most helpful. Thanks
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes please Barrie if you would PM me the link it would be most helpful. Thanks
There are a number of sites on the web - one that we use is
Search results in LANCASHIRE | Gluten free directory=

The Fish House in Fleetwood serves GF fish and chips every day and I really recommend them. All meals, GF and others are very good, quite a variety.
One that we will avoid in future is the Clog & Billycock in Blackburn. It was specified that one meal had to be GF - suspect that there was cross contamination or the Mayo dressing was not GF - the Boss had an attack 2 hours after the meal - typical signs for her.
Other places we can recommend locally are:- Grey Mare, Grane Rd. - Duckworth Hall, Haslingden Old Rd. - Mitali, Warner St. - Three Fishes, Mytton. - Sycamore Farm, Burnley. - All Weatherspoons, Redcap and others in that chain (Carvery ?). Costa also have some GF cakes etc. if you are desperate.
I have deliberately posted this open in case there are any others that need the information. Always willing to help with GF needs.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:52   #113
I am Banned

Quote:
I have deliberately posted this open in case there are any others that need the information. Always willing to help with GF needs.
Cheers Barrie
Old 08-07-2015, 11:04   #114
I am Banned

Sharing this with you and the Accyweb Barrie.

https://positivelycoeliac.wordpress....d-the-sausage/

Brian Hodder drinks in the Forts.
Old 08-07-2015, 13:05   #115
Senior Member+

I wonder where they got the bricks from to build the new Brickyard pub.
I know through taking to a deliver driver that most of the bricks for the new houses on Blackburn road came from Leicester.
Old 08-07-2015, 14:13   #116
Beacon of light

At the moment Fultons have some Mrs crimbles gluten free cake slices.
Five for a quid. Himself is not intolerant/coeliac, but he loves them.
Country fruit slice...have checked the ingredients....they are made with rice flour.
Just thought that if DtheP has a young visitor coming over, then it might be worth stock piling some.....I can't see a use by date on the 30 that are in my cupboard.....ok I exaggerated....there are only 20.
This firm is based in Oldham
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 15:52   #117
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
At the moment Fultons have some Mrs crimbles gluten free cake slices.
Five for a quid. Himself is not intolerant/coeliac, but he loves them.
Country fruit slice...have checked the ingredients....they are made with rice flour.
Just thought that if DtheP has a young visitor coming over, then it might be worth stock piling some.....I can't see a use by date on the 30 that are in my cupboard.....ok I exaggerated....there are only 20.
This firm is based in Oldham

Great that Margaret, thanks muchly. I will look to get some on Friday.
Gonna get some bangers and burgers from Hodders on Barnes St to taste test this weekend too.

Last edited by DtheP47; 08-07-2015 at 15:56.
Old 08-07-2015, 16:37   #118
Beacon of light

You are welcome....if you are all going gluten free for the duration of the visit(and that really is the safest thing to do) you might miss a bit of cake with your cuppa.
Another sweet treat is coconut pyramids.....easy to make too.....just dessicated coconut and condensed milk.....with a cherry on top.
Old 08-07-2015, 21:55   #119
Senior Member+

Tesco has quite a selection of breads, cakes, biscuits etc. including Mrs Crimbles chocolate coconut things which I am partial to. There are plenty of goods in all the supermarkets, just read the labels, some have the gluten free symbol and most if not all have all allergens printed in BOLD in the ingredients list - if they want burgers then either make your own or try the Venison ones from Aldi, we had some last week and they were fine in all aspects.
Old 08-07-2015, 21:58   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Sharing this with you and the Accyweb Barrie.

https://positivelycoeliac.wordpress....d-the-sausage/

Brian Hodder drinks in the Forts.
Heck do GF and Lidl do a very nice breakfast bratwurst. You will find that all continental sausages are GF as they are not allowed to use fillers - which in UK is normally wheat rusk.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..