Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2015, 08:00   #121
I am Banned

Re: New pub opening .

And getting this thread meander back on track (sorta !)Google tells me that Marston's pub menus offer plenty of GF options on their menus.
Will give the Brickyard a go with the girls when they get here early August. And I'll tell you this for nothing, they won't be running around or screaming on my watch.
Barrie Yates and Gremlin like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2015, 13:03   #122

First thing I would say is it will make a change from Spoons and the sorry to say for the most part grumpy staff.
The new Brickworks looks smart enough but don't you feel it would be great to see a pub serving traditional Lancashire fare instead of microwaved splodge. For me anyway I feel the town is missing a trick in what we do or rather don't have on offer to the paying public.
Just a thought..
Old 09-07-2015, 14:26   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
That is the problem D, we don't know of any other pub in Accrington that is OK for someone who is a diagnosed Coeliac, therefore we use the Commercial when in town shopping.
We get around the toaster problem with Toaster Bags for the Boss. She has used them for years and has never experienced a problem. Cross contamination is always a major factor and is more likely in a small kitchen and untrained staff - we have had one problem in Weatherspoons which was the then newly opened one in Fleetwood.
There is a web site that lists many places that serve GF meals. If you want the address let me know - even fish & chip shops are listed.
I'm interested in the web address Barrie, could you please PM me with it?
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 15:25   #124
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
First thing I would say is it will make a change from Spoons and the sorry to say for the most part grumpy staff.
The new Brickworks looks smart enough but don't you feel it would be great to see a pub serving traditional Lancashire fare instead of microwaved splodge. For me anyway I feel the town is missing a trick in what we do or rather don't have on offer to the paying public.
Just a thought..
What would you consider would be traditional Lancashire Fare?
Just interested to see what kind of dishes you think should appear under this title.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 21:46   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
I'm interested in the web address Barrie, could you please PM me with it?
See Post 112. If you Google GF foods in Lancashire you will find plenty of web sites. Watch out for .com as they tend to be American ???? I am sure you will find plenty but if you have problems let me know and I will do what I can to help you.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:16   #126

For me its the whole corporate feel with spoons across this green and pleasant land along with its pre prepped microwaved food. We are constantly being battered with 'eat fresh' or 'eat fresh fish' but have you seen how many calories most of the meals contain for instance?

It would be nice to see some freshly cooked vegetables locally grown and local meat supporting our farmers instead of flown in food. Victoria Tea Rooms use fresh veg and freshly prepped meals so it is possible evening in the 21st century. Just a thought..
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46   #127
Beacon of light

Mr Pastry....Once in a while it is OK to use these outlets.
I cook from fresh every day....meat, veggies, everything from scratch. No packet meals, or takeaways.
If you only have them infrequently, then there is no harm.
And if you look on the menu there are healthier options to select from.

I pre-prepare stuff in my kitchen....I cook more than one dish at a time.....freezing some foods is how I can make economical dishes which makes the pension go a bit further.....and there is some evidence which suggests that frozen simple carbohydrates are digested like complex carbs, leading to a slower release of the energy and reducing the likelihood of spikes in blood sugar levels.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:49   #128
Junior Member+

Brickworks, Accrington
If you follow the link you can register to receive a free drink when it opens.
stjosephsfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 16:33   #129
Senior Member+

Totally agree with you Margaret on preparing larger quantities and freezing portions for future meals.
Some foods actually improve in taste after freezing - chili and curry for sure. Freezing actually tenderises meats as the formation of ice crystals within the meat break down the fibres.
Old 20-07-2015, 18:30   #130

Amazing really that Spoons can have 'Come and meet the brewer' but they never invite customers to come and meet the farmer who grows the veg or breeds the meat millions eat. Food must be bottom of the food chain for them I guess?
Very minor pun.
Old 21-07-2015, 04:56   #131
Resting in Peace

so you have all been speculating on this place but has anyone been in yet ?
less went in for a pint last thurs.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:41   #132

On our to do list in-between work so will report back once we have carried out a full inspection of the venue. Happy days!
Old 21-07-2015, 13:21   #133

Well as promised we popped in for a lunchtime snack and here are our findings.

The building looks nice, decent play area for youngsters and you can keep an eye on them. Inside a modicum of plushness and comfortable although at the door the guy guiding customers didn't really have a clue which way to guide us, probably as we had not decided if we would stay for food or not depending on our first port of call...the bar.

We noticed one couple complaining they had been waiting 15 minutes for drinks already ordered so I made direct for the bar which slightly put the staff training on edge I guess. 1 pint of Pedigree please and a still pint of um tap water was presented. I requested the chappy have another go and not much better sorry to say. Eventually a girl came to take our food order but I pointed out the beer is not quite right yet so was offered another ale. Lancaster Bomber was fine and enjoyed that. Just about to order some food and all hell broke loose, table of three complaining meat not cooked! Net result I supped up and left with a not very good first impression generally.

Now then.... This is a new venue and it looks very nice but I do feel the staff training is a little lacking to be fair to the young staff present today. I'm absolutely certain it will settle down after a few weeks but £3 for a bog standard Pedigree ale and not right gives me the jitters with a new place. Not sure on the price of lager but a guy mentioned £3.75 for Fosters but cant confirm this.

It was nice to see the young staff really trying however and we almost felt like giving them a lift if you know what I mean. It's good for our town this new place has opened but they do need to get the ale just right and the meat cooked.

Actually we liked the venue although we had a bit of an issue, but its new and I think it will be popular with those seeking shall we say a more up market experience on a general food table. The Steak & Ale pie looked very nice and we thought we would give it another go in a couple of weeks when the teething troubles have fingers crossed gone.

To close you can tell the staff have been programmed with a given directive and if you interrupt that with "We would like to try the quality of ale first" before eating they are not sure what to do, so I would advise a steady approach to the new Brickfield or whatever sort of Brick it is.... At the end of the day it is your money and you choose where best to put it.
DtheP47 likes this.

Last edited by MrPastry; 21-07-2015 at 13:30.
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:11   #134
Beacon of light

It is sad that you had such a disappointing experience, but I suppose it is early days and it does take time for a team to gel......and to find out where their weaknesses are and address them.
Let's hope the management are on the ball and address these issues prompty.
Old 21-07-2015, 14:32   #135

Twill improve I am certain Margaret early doors yet. Some will be walking in just to find fault no doubt but its nicely laid out, give it a few weeks and it will be fine I am sure with the Marston's machine behind it. You'll gather I favour a more local approach to trading rather than a corporate feel but as the years pass we will be squeezed out although the Brickworks was clean (being new) and we liked the friendly youngsters. It will do good for the town me thinks as time passes and it settles down. In spite of teething troubles it was welcoming.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..