Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2015, 16:24   #136
Senior Member+

Re: New pub opening .

Have I read an earlier post incorrectly, is there a children's play area inside?
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2015, 17:57   #137
Senior Member+

Fosters is £3.25, will be sampling the gammon shortly.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 19:03   #138
Beacon of light

Enjoy !
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 19:33   #139
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Enjoy !
I did, thanks.
The gammon - cooked just how I like it (might be overcooked for some) and not too fatty.
Chips - I prefer chunky chips but you aren`t going to get that at a place like this, nice enough though.
Eggs - I prefer a runny yolk so will make sure I ask next time.
Peas - Green, round and tasted like peas.
Overall, two very edible meals for £11.90 only grumble was the none runny yolks but will definitely go again.

Building, looks OK so long as you don`t look too close. Small play area inside for the very young, slightly older ones have a big play area outside but I would expect a new build to have square (right angled) walls & and anything out slightly then the tiler should at least try to disguise it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0804.jpg (485.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0803.jpg (332.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 21-07-2015, 20:09   #140
Senior Member+

Eggs not dippy, walls not square, you're a hard man to please!
Doesn't sound bad for the money, you'll pay that or more for two small starters in many a restaurant or pub.
Not somewhere to go for a special night but that's not what they're catering for, just a good, cheap nosh while your in town- seems fair.
They always pull some money back on the drinks though.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 08:03   #141
Senior Member+

I don't like my eggs just dumped on the top of my chips as it is in the photo above. Apart from that it doesn't look too bad.
I've not been in yet but a friend went in with two others and it took three attempts to get the order correct. As other posters have written, maybe it takes time to get a new team working together.
Old 22-07-2015, 08:11   #142
Senior Member+

We all have our little quirks, our usual place for a bit of pub grub is The Harvester at Hapton, but there they serve their chips already salted and peppered (which I don`t like), you just have to ask for it the way you want it and most places are willing to accommodate, next time I`ll ask for runny yolks.
Old 22-07-2015, 11:56   #143

Similar here, I also like runny eggs. Spoons eggs typically come hardish so ask for soft one please, but it will be difficult for them I expect depending on how long the plate sits under the hot lamps. On one hand they keep your food warm, on the other dry it out.
E we are hard to please!
MrPastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 17:59   #144
Senior Member+

Not been in yet will wait for it to settle down - if at all. Looked at the menu, cannot see anything identified as being gluten free so that is a downer straight away. Seems to be reasonably priced if there are two in your party, or multiples thereof. If it is a single customer then I consider the prices high - am comparing them with the likes of Duckworth Hall, Grey Mare, Sycamore Farms etc. and Foster's beer at £3.25.
They don't appear to do breakfast - at least I could not find it on the menu, and the Carvery appears to be only on Sunday.
I will give it a try, just need some time to pluck up the courage.

Last edited by Neil; 23-07-2015 at 09:33. Reason: *'s
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 09:28   #145
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
so you have all been speculating on this place but has anyone been in yet ?
less went in for a pint last thurs.

Did he complain about the price of a pint?
Old 23-07-2015, 17:07   #146

I know someone working there they did 58 hrs intense induction on the run up to opening plus 3 days where they were open for friends and family to give them the chance to wait on, 5 of us got an invite for last Saturday and the service was quite good and everything that came was correct. I think one of the issues is (well talking to my friend anyway) is the number of staff involved in serving one table one to show you there, one to take your drinks order which is then poured by the bar staff,one to take your food order and then what they call a table runner to bring your food when its ready ...in my opinion it would be better with staff being allocated a number of tables with some back up staff to help out, but apparently they swop the staff round on a daily basis so they can cover all job.
I think given a month and it will run smooth when they get in their stride it must be daunting when you have very little experience waiting on and all of a sudden the place is doing over 300 covers a day.
Oh and by the way my Sirloin steak came as ordered and was very nice thank you lol
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 17:51   #147
Super Moderator

Been in there today and was pleasantly impressed. OK, it's never going to be a legendary English pub like Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem in Nottingham or Ye Olde White Hart in Hull, but it isn't meant to be. It is, however, smart, clean, comfortable and knobhead-free. The food looked very appetising, but I didn't partake today. Most importantly. the ale was excellent - Hobgoblin (4.5% ABV), a little pricey at £3.05, but an excellent pint. Bar staff were helpful and friendly too. No sooner had my empty glass hit the bar, than they were ready to pour another one. Will certainly call in again and may even take Mrs H for some nosebag when she comes up with me. Would be interested to see what sort of clientele they get in the evenings - can't see it being much of a local round there, but perhaps that's not their intention.
Old 24-07-2015, 04:34   #148
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did he complain about the price of a pint?
Daft question
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:08   #149
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
less went in for a pint last thurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It is, however, smart, clean, comfortable and knobhead-free.
As per the Jimmy James song Mr H, it's all about timing.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:26   #150
Super Moderator

...or even Jimmy Jones. Actually, DtheP, if there's one (or two) persons I would have been happy to see in there, it would've been Les or Mick...fellow professional drinkers amidst the hordes of lunching families and businessmen!
DaveinGermany likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..