Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2016, 21:33   #121
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
They are, but not usually in favour of Tories.
I am already fed up of hearing the thinly veiled threats of what MIGHT happen if we vote for Brexit.
Aye but its Labour this time that are selling the public down the river are they not? according to the media the Torys are split.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 22-02-2016, 21:41   #122
Beacon of light

Yes, but as you know Cashy in the eyes of the Beeb,the Labour Party are the favoured child......it will give those luvvies at the Beeb no end of joy to see the Tories falling out over this so called deal that Dave has extracted from Brussels.....there is nothing they like more than seeing the Tories in disarray.

I personally could not care less about the parties. What I care about is that we regain some backbone and get the hell out of the EU.....it is sucking the life out of this country.
maxthecollie and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 22:46   #123
God Member

Just checked the odds: 4/11 on staying, 15/8 on leaving. But this is a race over the sticks, and favorites have been known to fall. The polls seem to reflect those odds. But polls change and lots can happen in four months. One can't ignore the ongoing refugee problem, for example. As an aside, from the colonies: in the last four major elections in Canada (Quebec, BC, Alberta, and Federal), the polls proved dead wrong, leaving me to believe that the campaign with its speeches, debates, and electioneering will be very important. Demographics are important too. Masstricht was about 23 years ago; this means that voters under 35 (not too many interested in politics in their first 12 years) have never known a world without the EU. I know it's a simplification, but those 35 and younger are Europeans. Among those older, there are many ... and I'm one of them ... who don't think of Britain as a European country.

And why am I interested, even to the point of reading up on the history of the EU ... I have time on my hands until the hockey playoffs begin. In other words, I'm bored, and would rather pass the time educating myself than watching re-runs of "Finding Bigfoot."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:18   #124
God Member

If we leave the EU will farmers have to start farming their land again instead of getting paid to sit on their arses ?

i bet france are crapping themselves because if we leave they will become the last EU port of call for asylum seekers and refugees

if we leave i think it will be a domino effect and others will follow

how funny it would be if greece and the other dead beat countries that contribute sod all were all that were left lol

greece dosnt get a capital G until its paid its debts :-)
Eric likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:52   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

if we leave i think it will be a domino effect and others will follow
Ain't that the truth. That's why the yanks are going to get involved. Not that they give a flying [deleted] about Europe ... hell, 90% of yanks couldn't find europe on a map; and 94% of them can't spell it ... but self interest is a great motivator. Even Canada has an interest: The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement. If the UK leaves, this agreement is just so much asswipe.
Old 23-02-2016, 04:58   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ain't that the truth. That's why the yanks are going to get involved. Not that they give a flying [deleted] about Europe ... hell, 90% of yanks couldn't find europe on a map; and 94% of them can't spell it ... but self interest is a great motivator. Even Canada has an interest: The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement. If the UK leaves, this agreement is just so much asswipe.
well if trump wins hes telling china to stuff it so theres open opportunity to sell poor quality tat to the USA and if anyone can make cheap knock off tat we can

because anything else we ever did of worth was neglected and sold off by crooks or MP's as they are more commonly known ....... ya know like the ones who want to stay in the EU because they have no faith in the UK to run its self

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 23-02-2016, 05:05   #127
God Member

What about all them poor euro mps .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EUROMP.jpg (295.5 KB, 19 views)

Old 23-02-2016, 05:37   #128
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The BBC are the most politically biased set of goons.
Quote:
They are, but not usually in favour of Tories.
Agreed Cashy, but when the EU are lining the Beebs pockets Ma, of course they'll support those in favour of staying in.

BBC admits receiving millions in grants from EU and councils - Telegraph
Old 23-02-2016, 07:09   #129
Beacon of light

Eric, I have been giving your comment about a majority'.....and 'mandate' quite a bit of thought.
In our general elections we have a first past the post system.
So this means that if there are only two parties,the one who gets the most votes wins and governs. They have the mandate to govern because the people who voted gave them a majority.
If there are more than two parties in the election, then it is much less likely that the party which gets the majority are the party that the most voters voted for(and therefore have a mandate to govern).
In these situations it is highly likely that the governing party got far fewer than the combined votes of the other parties.
The only way for this to become a level playing field is for us to ditch the first past the post system,in favour of proportional representation.
This was proposed in the past,but declined as it was considered that us badly educated plebs would never get our heads around the concept.

However the referendum question gives only two options(this can be likened to having only two candidates).
It makes the likelihood of an outright majority more likely.
I know that you are a very well educated man(far better educated than I am) and that you don't need me to,outline this for you, but there are others who might gain something from this explanation.

And yes Son, you are right about the relationship between the Beeb and the EU.....which as I said in previous posts limits their ability to be unbiased.

Many politicians will also have their eyes on the prize too....the EU gravy train.....which is why I treat their views with a large lump of scepticism.

The intervention of the EU in the law making process for this country means that our MP's can sit on their rumps and do LESS for more money....the guys in Brussels are doing their work for them......better still, when their constituents complain they can give a Gallic shrug and blame the EU.
Now isn't that the best of both worlds?

It is time to take our coats and hats off the EU peg.
We do NOT need them.
Our farmers can go back to,farming, the fishermen can go back to fishing our waters unhindered by EU red tape and regulations....we can buy mis-shaped fruit and veg(just as tasty, just as nourishing).

We can police our borders in the way they should be policed, we can ditch the ECHR.
We can deport those rapist, burglars and other criminals which have been allowed free let to do their dastardly deeds here, with not a glance to Strasbourg to see what they think.

None of this is going to be easy, but to take the easy option.....the one which sees us mired into this illusion of a reformed EU(as Jim Royle would say 'reformed my ar$e) is not something I care to think about.
KiTChener and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:15   #130
Beacon of light

I have decided to exit this thread for a while.
I have pretty much said my piece.....and each time I read or hear some argument about this subject it makes me angry, makes my blood boil and puts up my BP(not good for me at my age).
Old 23-02-2016, 11:05   #131
God Member

has there been a mention of eligibility to vote

such as must have a British passport ?

why have they called it brexit it sounds like a cereal theres nothing wrong with exit or g.t.f.o

Last edited by accyman; 23-02-2016 at 11:13.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:36   #132
God Member

the f in my above post is FLIP i dont want to appear to be breaking forum rules

Old 23-02-2016, 13:55   #133
God Member

Quote:
I know that you are a very well educated man(far better educated than I am)
I don't know if it's education, or intelligence, or just that I'm more than normally curious. Not so much about being "smart." "Intelligence" is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; "smart" is knowing not to put one into a fruit salad. But I think, for me anyway, it's mainly curiosity; as the man said ....

Old 23-02-2016, 21:07   #134
God Member

there is talk that cameron will not survive if the exit vote wins

he also wouldnt survive been hit by a car at 70mph

the trick is getting him in front of my car should the exit vote loose

Old 24-02-2016, 12:49   #135

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

The UK?s EU referendum 2016 explained - UK Parliament

For your perusal...and so that our MP and his Rishton puppy can't claim to be better informed than us

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..