Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2016, 07:47   #856
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Obvious error with pictures in post 850. Streets are relatively clean. No Europeans = no one to do all the menial jobs many Brits can't pull themselves away from Jeremy Kyle to do.
You suggest that British people are lazy and use stereotypes to back this up.
That is the signature of a lazy mind.
And because you insert a smiley into a post does not mean you are smiling....and it fools no one
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2016, 08:01   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You suggest that British people are lazy and use stereotypes to back this up.
That is the signature of a lazy mind.
And because you insert a smiley into a post does not mean you are smiling....and it fools no one
I am in no way suggesting that British people are lazy Margaret. I am asserting that many British people are. Why else do we have so many migrant workers doing the jobs that keep the country going? Never mind I concede that I am incorrect in my assumption that there will be fewer migrants. With the impending withdrawal of UK border controls from France, we will soon be waist deep in asylum seekers.

And trust me I'm a happy guy, I have opted to suspend my social conscience for a while before it gnaws its own leg off.

Have a nice Sunday. Off to church to pray a bit soon.

By the way, my assertion is based on empirical evidence rather than stereotype.

egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 08:20   #858
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I am in no way suggesting that British people are lazy Margaret. I am asserting that many British people are. Why else do we have so many migrant workers doing the jobs that keep the country going?
Cos many are brought over en-masse, to work for less money and are still far better off than they would be at home, but you are overlooking that which is a well known fact, dont shock me one bit. you are a pig ignorant fellow in my eyes and popping off to church fools no-one.
Old 26-06-2016, 08:36   #859
Beacon of light

Quote:
I am in no way suggesting that British people are lazy Margaret. I am asserting that many British people are. Why else do we have so many migrant workers doing the jobs that keep the country going? Never mind I concede that I am incorrect in my assumption that there will be fewer migrants. With the impending withdrawal of UK border controls from France, we will soon be waist deep in asylum seekers.

And trust me I'm a happy guy, I have opted to suspend my social conscience for a while before it gnaws its own leg off.

Have a nice Sunday. Off to church to pray a bit soon.

By the way, my assertion is based on empirical evidence rather than stereotype.
Well, thank you for your clarification.That many British people do not do the jobs that migrant workers take up might be due to the fact that they will work for less money. Add to this that many of them will also clain benefits to boost this income is an added draw. They know that whatever they get will be much more than what they could earn back in their own country.

During my long career I worked with people from many countries and I know first hand the value of the work they do.
When people start talking about immigration, it is not that they are racist, but that label is used for them because it shuts down any logical debate.
It isn't immigration which is a problem....it is a different animal altogether.....it is uncontrolled immigration which is a problem.

And the agreement which enforces border controls at Calais will have to renegotiated. If (as MAY happen) then I am sure that there will be an effort to secure borders on this side of the channel(however difficult that might be....and yes, I know it will not be easy)

I am savvy enough to know that a leave vote would not stop migration.....I have taken it upon myself to find out as much as I could about the implications of my vote......something which was open to many people.
Had I not done so I would have abstained.

Have a lovely Sunday.....and still have that glass of something cold....it is a pleasant British tradition.
egg&chips and taddy like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 26-06-2016 at 08:46.
Old 26-06-2016, 08:44   #860
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Margaret that fellow is as arrogant as those Labour M.P.s that ignored the electorate.
Old 26-06-2016, 08:57   #861
Beacon of light

I don't think arrogant is quite the right word Cashy......we all have our beliefs.

Much as we believe them it doesn't make them facts(and I include my own beliefs in this)

I just think that while we are in the EU we are being hoodwinked and bamboozled.
Of course the members of the EU are not happy just now because they have lost(or will lose) a hefty chunk of revenue.
They have treated us with contempt most of the time.
I really don't think that they expected the people of the UK to vote in the way that they did.
This vote wasn't just about the EU, it was also about the sordid mess that is politics.
If if does nothing else it will (perhaps) make politicians rethink their strategies......it might even bring about some reform in the EU.
Some are saying that the only way to reform something is to be in it.
That is blatantly untrue because we are in it and the efforts at negotiating reform have been laughable,
We asked for little and got even less.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 26-06-2016 at 09:00.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:09   #862
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I don't think arrogant is quite the right word Cashy......we all have our beliefs.

Much as we believe them it doesn't make them facts(and I include my own beliefs in this)

I just think that while we are in the EU we are being hoodwinked and bamboozled.
Of course the members of the EU are not happy just now because they have lost(or will lose) a hefty chunk of revenue.
They have treated us with contempt most of the time.
I really don't think that they expected the people of the UK to vote in the way that they did.
This vote wasn't just about the EU, it was also about the sordid mess that is politics.
If if does nothing else it will (perhaps) make politicians rethink their strategies......it might even bring about some reform in the EU.
Some are saying that the only way to reform something is to be in it.
That is blatantly untrue because we are in it and the efforts at negotiating reform have been laughable,
We asked for little and got even less.
Have to disagree, to say "Many" of the british people are lazy, to me is arrogance of the highest order!!
Old 26-06-2016, 09:24   #863
Beacon of light

He was generalising Cashy.......it is obviously what he believes.
That isn't my experience, so my belief will differ. However, beliefs are not facts.

He must travel in different circles to us. Maybe he has come to thisopinion because of the people he meets in his day to day life...or maybe he believes what he sees on toxic TV(like Jeremy Kyle)
The people I meet are genuine and work hard to make ends meet...they bear no resemblance to the people on Jeremy Kyle
Old 26-06-2016, 09:46   #864
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
He was generalising Cashy.......it is obviously what he believes.
That isn't my experience, so my belief will differ. However, beliefs are not facts.

He must travel in different circles to us. Maybe he has come to thisopinion because of the people he meets in his day to day life...or maybe he believes what he sees on toxic TV(like Jeremy Kyle)
The people I meet are genuine and work hard to make ends meet...they bear no resemblance to the people on Jeremy Kyle
Many aint generalising to me, its a definate statement, he is also one snotty piece of work to lump us with Kyle,
Old 26-06-2016, 13:24   #865

I notice that an online petition has been raised against the Referendum result, it will be VERY interesting to observe how quickly this is dealt with and how our masters react, given that so few of them wanted the result that they got.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:29   #866
God Member

He lives in Leeds. What can you expect?

Did you hear about the Scotsman who went into the pub but had no-one to talk to? The Englishman, Welshman and Irishman were all in France.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:29   #867

I should have added compared with the debate on aid which the wanted.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 13:32   #868
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
I notice that an online petition has been raised against the Referendum result, it will be VERY interesting to observe how quickly this is dealt with and how our masters react, given that so few of them wanted the result that they got.
It now appears that the petition was raised several months ago by a Brexiteer (with little faith in his fellow Brits) who expected the Remainers to narrowly win. It's now under investigation for fraud as it may have been hijacked by others posting Mickey-Mouse names.
Second EU referendum petition investigated for fraud - BBC News
cashman likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 14:01   #869
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
Hooray, over 3.1M have signed the petition. Unfortunately the Petitions Committee are investigating because :- 200K are from overseas, 41K are from Vatican City, 25K from North Korea, 3K from British Antartic Territory (that must be the Emperor Penguins) - this is not the full list, I am laughing too much reading it all.
Old 26-06-2016, 14:10   #870
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Hooray, over 3.1M have signed the petition. Unfortunately the Petitions Committee are investigating because :- 200K are from overseas, 41K are from Vatican City, 25K from North Korea, 3K from British Antartic Territory (that must be the Emperor Penguins) - this is not the full list, I am laughing too much reading it all.
If thats the case, the petition should be scrapped immediately.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..