Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2017, 12:19   #1171
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

When this man is living the life of a pensioner on basic pension , in rented accommodation, when he is suffering the privations of an overloaded NHS, when he is disabled and trying to make ends meet on PIP...then and only then will this man have anything at all to bring to the table. He has always lived a life of privilege. He has NEVER known poverty, he knows nothing at all about the lives of ordinary people and to set himself up as the arbiter of the needs of ordinary people is a travesty. I like slugs better than I like him(and I pour salt onto them).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2017, 16:02   #1172
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I cannot find words to say how I feel about this oxygen thief.
It was also in the Accrington Observer this week that 20% had changed their minds about how they voted in the referendum...though it was not clear how they had changed their minds, whether it was'for' or 'against'.
The real details are laughable Margaret - they asked 101 people, apparently all of whom had voted to leave in the Referendum. When you take that as a percentage of the population of Hyndburn, and of the ones that did vote to leave, then the story falls apart. The Observer (MEN) must agree with our MP who stated that 95% of us didn't know what it was all about. As for BLiar, a man who lied to parliament and took us into an illegal conflict, the aftermath of which still continues, well, whatever he says, I believe in the direct opposite.
Old 17-02-2017, 16:36   #1173
Beacon of light

I can't believe that the Accrington Observer thinks that such a small survey would be representative of the whole borough...no, hang on, I can.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 17-02-2017, 17:16   #1174
God Member

They've probably followed HBC's example on that Margaret - they thought a similar survey about the market hall trees spoke for the whole borough too . . . .
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 17:30   #1175
Beacon of light

Yes, it just shows how statistics can mislead too.
Old 17-02-2017, 17:41   #1176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh but the beauty of it is in my view, people aint as stupid as they think, and the dumb gits will just encourage more to ignore their view imho,
Old 17-02-2017, 18:00   #1177
Beacon of light

Yes and it is arrogant of these people to insult the intelligence of the electorate.
Old 17-02-2017, 18:14   #1178
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yes and it is arrogant of these people to insult the intelligence of the electorate.
Its the old we know better than you thicko peasants. really they mean lining their pockets, as Blair in fairness has done a great job.
Old 17-02-2017, 18:44   #1179
Beacon of light

That (and much more)is what got the Labour Party where it is right now. Haven't learned much have they?
Old 17-02-2017, 18:47   #1180
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That (and much more)is what got the Labour Party where it is right now. Haven't learned much have they?
Sadly they never will, cos they know better than us, or so they foolishly think,
Old 17-02-2017, 19:59   #1181

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
When this man is living the life of a pensioner on basic pension , in rented accommodation, when he is suffering the privations of an overloaded NHS, when he is disabled and trying to make ends meet on PIP...then and only then will this man have anything at all to bring to the table. He has always lived a life of privilege. He has NEVER known poverty, he knows nothing at all about the lives of ordinary people and to set himself up as the arbiter of the needs of ordinary people is a travesty. I like slugs better than I like him(and I pour salt onto them).
Wow!..Clicking 'like' just ain't strong enough....that should be on posters all over the country
Old 17-02-2017, 20:17   #1182
Beacon of light

Just saying it how I see it Guinness.
Old 18-02-2017, 15:59   #1183
Full Member+

There was a knock on the door, earlier this afternoon, up here in Morecambe and it seems our quiet little cul-de-sac was being invaded by rent a mob, handing out Labour Party leaflets. I would describe the chap who spoke to me as a thug and I felt no inclination to debate anything with him.

I think that Brexit is a golden opportunity to make this country great again but we need strong leadership. Looking at the choices we have, at the moment, unless someone with a large pair steps up to the plate, I think we are stuffed.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 21:31   #1184

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I think that Brexit is a golden opportunity to make this country great again but we need strong leadership. Looking at the choices we have, at the moment, unless someone with a large pair steps up to the plate, I think we are stuffed.
Problem with Corbyn is that he tries too hard to be fair and identify with the electorate. He's in a real no-win situation with the current crop of 'how can I screw as much from the plebs as I can' politicians within his own party.

The media (especially the BBC) have it in for him. If he gives a free vote..he's a weak leader, if he uses the whip..he's a Leninist dictator.

The last guy 'Owen whatshisname' to challenge him for the leadership (who our chancer MP supported) is currently describing himself as 'Churchillian'. (*sigh*).. And then we have the bronzed millionaire Blair, straight from the sun loungers of Abu Dhabi, wearing a designer suit (that probably cost more than is spent on the annual care for the average mental health patient), informing the country that those of us that voted for Brexit have changed our minds.

The current crop of 'whats in it for me' Labour politicans have destroyed the party..Corbyn has the right idea..but he has no chance...turkeys do not vote for christmas
Old 19-02-2017, 09:21   #1185
Beacon of light

The problem is that the ideology of the party was changed way back...at the timeTony Blair christenended it New Labour. It became a paler version of conservatism. The changes meant that it no longer represented the ordinary working man and his concerns. They became too good for the working classes. The Labour politicians of that time were career politicians who could not identify with the joiner, the welder, the shelf stacker.
They(in the main) came from privileged backgrounds.
They lost touch with what the electorate needed and worse than that they didn't listen to what the electorate needed. They thought they knew better than us, they treated us as uneducated serfs and peasants, forgetting that many of us had got our degrees at the university of life(and that is a life of hard learning).

I do not think there can be a return to the old Labour Party values. The current MP's all think they are better than the people who elected them...they see themselves as 'elite' and patronise the electorate when they should be representing the views and needs of the people who voted for them.

The Labour Party has made itself un electable and it only has itself to blame

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..