Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2019, 16:34   #2881
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, you are right, but they do exist and the parties love them....because they question nothing....they do not think any deeper than the rosette colour.

Yes they exist and just to follow a banner shows how pathetic they are.
Unfortunately the manifestos aren’t aimed at the die hard members, they are aimed at the gullible easily swayed, haven’t got enough brain to decide if I should use an umbrella before I get wet brigade.
They are people like us, that get mugged at every election.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2019, 17:29   #2882
God Member

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The only thing concerns me,is the Brexit Party have NO Manifesto out at this point? if there was to be a Election many people will vote on more than just Brexit,
The Brexit Party is having a rally at the NEC on June 30 to discuss the need for a manifesto should an election suddenly be called.
Of course, Dave and Nick made fixed term Parliaments the law of the land so the next election should be 2022. But we now know just how much our MPs care about obeying the laws that they pass.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 17:30   #2883
Beacon of light

I don't think you fall into the category of the unquestioning voter.
The electorate still get mugged off...even if they question what is going on in politics...because once you have given them your vote they can do what the hell they please regardless of promises.

Those die hard members will believe what is being said because they believe their beloved party can do no wrong...You only have to look at Momentum to see that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 17:42   #2884

Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think you fall into the category of the unquestioning voter.
The electorate still get mugged off...even if they question what is going on in politics...because once you have given them your vote they can do what the hell they please regardless of promises.

Those die hard members will believe what is being said because they believe their beloved party can do no wrong...You only have to look at Momentum to see that.

As always you are right (he said in the manner of a sleazy I need your vote politician), I question them but my questions fall on deaf ears, oh, for the good old days when a majority vote meant we WILL do what the people say, not this multi party load of spineless morons that can’t put morals in front of payment cheques.
cashman likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 18:34   #2885
Beacon of light

The fact that the questions fall on deaf ears is NOT your fault.
It is the fault of the politicians who believe that their own opinions and views are more important than the elctorate they are SUPPOSED to be representing. That we are too dumb to make decisions which affect our lives.(how bloody arrogant is that?)
we can tell them what we expect of them until we are blue in the face, but if they do not take notice...well then your only recourse is to deny them your vote at the next election.....except the dummies keep putting back those that are as much use as a knitted condom......Where are their brains?
Loyalty does not cut it if they cannot represent the MAJORITY in their constituency.

Things will not change until there is proportional representation....and I can't see it on the horizon.

There is no possibility of anything other than coalition governments until that happens...and coalitions mean you get only the worst of two parties(or in some situations three)
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 08-06-2019 at 18:38.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16   #2886
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1228853]The fact that the questions fall on deaf ears is NOT your fault.
It is the fault of the politicians who believe that their own opinions and views are more important than the elctorate they are SUPPOSED to be representing. That we are too dumb to make decisions which affect our lives.(how bloody arrogant is that?)

but not too dumb to give em their majorities.. election time is the only time they want us.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52   #2887
Beacon of light

They do not get majorities....otherwise we would get governments that had a working majority to get the policies through the house.
We get 'hobbled' governments. Governments that cannot get policies passed without the support of(in the case of Cameron) Lib/Dems.....and their agenda was totally different to that of the Tory party....in the case of T.May....she had to rely on the DUP to bolster her government.

There is absolutely no likelihood of a party getting into power with a workable majority unless proportional representation is adopted.

If 24% of the electorate vote Tory, 23% vote Lib/Dem 14% vote independent(or a mix of the minor parties) and the remainder vote Labour(39%).....it looks like Labour had a majority...but the fact remains that 61% of the electorate are disappointed with the results....and I know I am bad at math, but 61% IS the majority here.

The more parties there are to share the votes and the less likely it is that we get effective government.
The parties ideologies are so far apart that two parties in tandem running the country is good for nobody.

The Labour Party lost sight of its core voters a long time ago.(New Labour were lilac....a mix of Tory and labour ideals)...and now with the current leader it is even further away from the people it was formed to support.
They appear to think that the electorate are ill educated.....and not fit to make decisions about the future.
Maybe they would like to adopt Soviet principles of re-education of those who are seen as dissenters.

They have practised 'constructive fudging'( by refusing to give a clear stance on Brexit)...in the hope that the in fighting in the Tory party will see it off and leave the political door open for them
JC has made no bones about his dislike of the EU in the past, but his strings are being pulled by those who would cancel article 50....keeping us firmly in the EU

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-06-2019 at 10:54.
Old 21-06-2019, 13:11   #2888
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

all the spouting coming from the E.U. about they will not negotiate, says only one thing, if NO DEAL happens "THEY" have caused it. It also seems to me, some people are too "STUPID" to see that!
Old 21-06-2019, 13:35   #2889
Beacon of light

They are spouting because they fear for their money....and also for the trade we do with them
They have already said that even if the withdrawal agreement is not ratified and we leave on Oct 31st.....we may not be out until 2020.
I hope they will pay for holding us hostage.

I am not sure that Boris (if he becomes PM) will not wriggle out of getting us out.
He has said that we need to be out by Halloween, but has NOT said he will get us out by then.
I hope I am wrong to be chary and cynical
In the Evening Standard....that snake George Osborne predicts that Boris will take us into a second referendum.....so that would delay things.
If he does, both he and the Tory party are toast.

For goodness sake get us out....right out!
Old 21-06-2019, 14:00   #2890

If there is one thing we do before we leave the EU I hope that it is this.

Apply for a grant to pay for the removal of all those stupid 'speed humps', the EU forced us to put in place, I doubt they have saved one life, though they have ruined many peoples cars and motoring pleasure.
I can agree with a 20 mph (or should that be a 32.1869Km per hour) speed limit on housing estates, after all it's speed that kills not someones exhaust grinding on an object that blocks the drains.

Should we get a petition going before it's too late?
Old 23-06-2019, 07:14   #2891
God Member

[QUOTE=Less;

Apply for a grant to pay for the removal of all those stupid 'speed humps', the EU forced us to put in place, I doubt they have saved one life, though they have ruined many peoples cars and motoring pleasure.

speed humps might actually cause accidents by you taking your eyes off the road where they are because you are looking for them and not in the distance like you should be doing.
Old 23-06-2019, 08:38   #2892
Beacon of light

You can see many drivers positioning their cars to avoid them.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-06-2019, 08:42   #2893
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Speed humps to me are the stupidest most dangerous things ever used in road safety, whoever dreamed them up is totally stupid imho.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 23-06-2019, 09:27   #2894
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Speed humps to me are the stupidest most dangerous things ever used in road safety, whoever dreamed them up is totally stupid imho.
agreed cashy. like a lot of things they are fine in theory but not in practise. more should have been taken into account of drivers reaction to driving where they are positioned. i for one would hate to live outside one with listening to scraping exhausts, acceleratons and breaking all day. those down livingstone road on matchdays must make more noise than the extra traffic does.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:09   #2895
Beacon of light

A bit like the chicanes in Dill hall Lane....you just see drivers slaloming....putting their lives at risk....and during the time when the children are going to and from school it is dangerous for them too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..