Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree194Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2015, 14:14   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Swarm!

Many people are basically stupid, as believing eastenders @ corry demonstrates, short memories, plus many who weren't even born then.
Old 08-10-2015, 14:28   #47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Many people are basically stupid, as believing eastenders @ corry demonstrates, short memories, plus many who weren't even born then.
OK, take your point on that one, but the examples I've given on Jeremy Corbyn are't press distortion, it's his own quotes (one from his own website).

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 08-10-2015 at 14:38.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 15:17   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, take your point on that one, but the examples I've given on Jeremy Corbyn are't press distortion, it's his own quotes (one from his own website).
Aye mate but i take the view the young are more likely to vote Corbyn, than owd gits what are sick to the back teeth of all of em. which is why i say yeh just never know.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 09-10-2015, 21:37   #49

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
As for Jeremy Corbyn's quote, it's just that - a quote. It's not a quote that's been distorted or where one word's been taken out of context, it's what he actually said.

Here's another quote taken from his own website:

"Thank you to the Foreign Secretary for giving way. On the subject of refugees, he’s obviously as aware as everyone else is of the massive flow of migrants across the Mediterranean, many of whom thousands have already died also those in the Andaman Sea and elsewhere. There is a global phenomenon of victims of war, poverty and oppression fleeing in desperate circumstances. Does the government have a strategy of supporting refugees, of supporting saving life at sea, rather than repelling people seeking a place of safety?"

So why is Accyexplorer a "do-gooder PC lefty liberal" for saying similar things, yet Jeremy Corbyn isn't?
Is Corbyn a ‘lefty’…yup…and so am I.

Does Corbyn want to ‘do good’..yup…so do I.

Is he PC..erm…nope…otherwise he wouldn’t be getting the stick he is by the PC media.

I see no evidence that he will open the ‘floodgates’ and allow everyone and his brother into the country…. He’s simply saying we should have a strategy in place for those ‘victims of war, poverty and oppression’..e.g offer shelter and support until it’s safe for them to go back. Isn’t that what you would want for yourself if you had to leave this country if it became war torn? ( I see no mention of ‘economic migrants’ who want to come here because the benefit state pays them a fortune..which incidentally it doesn’t)

‘Saving life at sea’ could mean stopping human trafficking at source.

But hey….twist the words any which way you want, but using the biggest wind up merchant on the forum as an example does zero to add credibility to your argument.

And on ‘undistorted quotes’ would you like me to post some from Cameron, Thatcher, Graham Jones or Ken Moss…

You have an obvious downer on Corbyn……give me an alternative mainstream viewpoint that can’t be ripped to pieces
Old 10-10-2015, 00:12   #50
Super Moderator

OK, so Cameron uses the word "swarm" and "the PC 'liberal luvvies' go mad" according to you.

Corbyn responds like this, "The anti-foreigner rhetoric and vocabulary being used by the Prime Minister must be challenged head-on." perhaps not exactly going mad, but not too happy at the use of the word "swarm" either. But apparently he's not PC. OK, I'll take your word on that one.

As for the rest of your views on the immigrant/refugee crisis, I agree wholeheartedly with you (although I expect a majority of Accywebbers wouldn't). That's why I said I've no problem with his musings on the subject. I'm a Guardian-reading liberal remember? I'm just making a wry comment on the similarlities between Accyexplorer's and Jeremy's stance.

As for an alternative, I don't have one, but I'm far from convinced of Corbyn's electoral appeal to the British public (although Cashy is doing his best to convince me otherwise, believe me!) and the idea of ten more years of the Tories gives me nightmares. I'm hoping that Corbyn's success concentrates minds in the Labour party, prompting another leadership election sometime in the next five years and the success of a leader who combines honesty with electablity. Corbyn may possess the first quality, but I don't reckon he has the second.

Incidentally, if you think Accyexplorer's "the biggest wind-up merchant on the forum" you ought to come along one day and see Mr Cashman in action on the Clayton End!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43   #51
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Quotes like: "The anti-foreigner rhetoric and vocabulary being used by the Prime Minister must be challenged head-on."

As a bit of a Guardian-reading liberal myself, I've no problem with that, however, if Accyexplorer had said those exact same words on here, he would be on the receiving end of all sorts of abuse for being a "left wing liberal bleeding heart do-gooder" etc.

Yet there's almost total silence about Jeremy Corbyn having the same attitudes. Go figure.
Yes Wynn, Corbyn is a left wing liberal, bleeding heart whiner! Happy now? Someone's called him & he's now officially up there with Accy-explorer in the world of AccyWeb.

The thing about Corbyn & our very own Accy-explorer is that they both have opinions, (as do we all) but the circles they move in are worlds apart. In our world we can readily respond & interact with one another, but in the world of the politico, pretty much what Joe & Josephina public says or does has virtually no relevance to them whatsoever, that is until there's an election or similar coming up.

The truth of that can be seen within these very pages, how many politicoes or their mouthpieces have a presence on this site? Yet our day to day opinions & wranglings are of no interest to these "Elite"? that is until they're wanting something, then you can't get shut of 'em, they're there, feeling your pain & sharing your grievances, then the vote's done the dusts settled & there's neither hide nor hair of them. Tucked away in their little lairs until their next time of want.
Old 11-10-2015, 15:34   #52
Super Moderator

Listen, Dave, I'll have nowt said against Jezza, as something just occurred to me yesterday. On the day his elevation to the Labour Party leadership was announced, Stanley won away at Bristol Rovers and have since gone on their best winning run (apart from one minor hiccup) since 1956. Our lucky mascot? I like to think so.

Viva Corbyn! Onwards to Jeremy at No 10 and League One football!
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 11-10-2015, 16:37   #53
Beacon of light

Be careful what you wish for.....it might not turn out quite how you would hope.
You might get Corbyn as Stanley manager. And Stanley manager as PM
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 17:20   #54
Super Moderator

Corbyn at the Crown and Coley in No 10.. now that IS a frightening thought!
Old 11-10-2015, 17:22   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And Stanley manager as PM
Coley for PM, a cantankerous Scouser in nr.10 .........
Old 11-10-2015, 17:52   #56
Senior Member+

Wyn, can you actually name a leading politician, past or present who fits the description "honest and electable"?
Old 11-10-2015, 18:17   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Wyn, can you actually name a leading politician, past or present who fits the description "honest and electable"?
If he can, hes a better man than me. though initially Blair did give that impression.
Old 11-10-2015, 18:28   #58
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
name a leading politician, past or present who fits the description "honest and electable"?
Answers on the back of a postage stamp, then send to the Guinness book of records for posterity.
Old 11-10-2015, 18:48   #59
Super Moderator

Well, I was thinking Alan Johnson, but I'm sure Accywebbers will be only too pleased to tell me plenty of reasons why he isn't!
Old 12-10-2015, 16:07   #60
God Member

Quote:
can you actually name a leading politician, past or present who fits the description "honest and electable"?
Ken Hargreaves?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..